8/6 Post Game Thread

A sweep!

Boy that was a wild ride, eh?

Mattingly sets the Marlins record for most wins by a manager.

Villar with the leadoff homer and drove in another run later and also stole a base.

Anderson with 3 huge RBI in the game and he's driven in what has ended up being the winning run in three straight games.

Monte! First hit! It was ugly, but it counts. And he stole a base, too. He also didn't strike out a single time. Brinson still hasn't struck out.

Yamamoto worrisome. Guzman started off nicely and then the wheels fell off very fast. Morin with the great relief appearance, two perfect innings and stranding two runners. Box and Kintz finished it off but not without a tiny bit of drama.

Five in a row. Fun stuff.

• Like 4

Fyi I dont want anyone with any shit about "Well it was against Baltimore" because as a Marlins fan over the years I've seen this team get trampled by bad teams so it's no foregone conclusion to sweep a bad team. Marlins earned this sweep and it deserves celebration as long as it's nothing salacious of course! 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Fyi I dont want anyone with any shit about "Well it was against Baltimore" because as a Marlins fan over the years I've seen this team get trampled by bad teams so it's no foregone conclusion to sweep a bad team. Marlins earned this sweep and it deserves celebration as long as it's nothing salacious of course! 

fox broadcasting cheers GIF by Empire FOX

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Fyi I dont want anyone with any shit about "Well it was against Baltimore" 

It was against Baltimore!  

Seriously though they did kick the ball around a lot.   6-1 though man, awesome. 

5 minutes ago, Hotcorner said:

Seriously though they did kick the ball around a lot.  

They sure did but still how many times have we seen the Marlins find a way to lose games like that? So this definitely feels good. Win the games you gotta win.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

They sure did but still how many times have we seen the Marlins find a way to lose games like that? So this definitely feels good. Win the games you gotta win.

How many time have we seen the other team throw the ball around and then the Marlins not take advantage? This team feels different.

Edited by FishFan95
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

How many time have we seen the other team throw the ball around and then the Marlins not take advantage? This team feels different.

Yea that's basically what I'm saying. 

Also I'm pretty sure you feeling the team is against protocols but I'm not Bob Nightengale so what do I know?

• Banana 1

one thing i noticed. After the final out Kintzler and Cervelli exchanged some words and Cervelli was making faces. During the last inning Cervelli was very animated behind home plate when Kintzler wasn't hitting his spots.

Same thing with Yamamoto. I get the veteran leadership, but I wonder if he's a bit aggressive/harsh with it.

22 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Yeah, I was about to say this exact thing.

21 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

one thing i noticed. After the final out Kintzler and Cervelli exchanged some words and Cervelli was making faces. During the last inning Cervelli was very animated behind home plate when Kintzler wasn't hitting his spots.

Same thing with Yamamoto. I get the veteran leadership, but I wonder if he's a bit aggressive/harsh with it.

Cervelli’s always been that way.

48 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

Dare I say the Marlins need some of this sometimes. 

• Like 1

This morning MLB Network did a little piece on the Marlins "introducing" some of their key players since they're playing well and everyone considers them unknowns.

Well they named Anderson, Alcantara, Aguilar, Dickerson, and Pablo... to be honest, with the exception of Pablo, any serious baseball fan should know all of those guys along with others like Villar, Alfaro, Cervelli. 

I know we're not a team of superstars but the notion that this team is a bunch of no name players is ridiculous. I wouldn't think we have anymore "unknown players" than most any other team in baseball. Even the best and most popular teams have a bunch of players that people can't name. Who the hell can name the full rosters of the Yankees and Dodgers outside of a legitimate die hard fan? 

Anyone who "didn't know" who is on the Marlins doesn't know because they didn't even try to know.

• Like 1

This team definitely feels different. They work the counts. They get timely hitting. They use their speed to their advantage, and so far pitching has been getting double-plays when they need it.

Yams has me worried though, I think too much of Dugger has been rubbing off on him (not the COVID, but the easily hittable pitches).

• Like 2

Great series all around without much of anything to complain about.

Tonight, watching them answer back every time Baltimore scores was like watching a masterpiece. Can’t remember a team in the past that felt like this before.

Really really hoping this team can continue playing like this!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This morning MLB Network did a little piece on the Marlins "introducing" some of their key players since they're playing well and everyone considers them unknowns.

Well they named Anderson, Alcantara, Aguilar, Dickerson, and Pablo... to be honest, with the exception of Pablo, any serious baseball fan should know all of those guys along with others like Villar, Alfaro, Cervelli. 

I know we're not a team of superstars but the notion that this team is a bunch of no name players is ridiculous. I wouldn't think we have anymore "unknown players" than most any other team in baseball. Even the best and most popular teams have a bunch of players that people can't name. Who the hell can name the full rosters of the Yankees and Dodgers outside of a legitimate die hard fan? 

Anyone who "didn't know" who is on the Marlins doesn't know because they didn't even try to know.

I’ve recently gotten back into Card collecting and it seems that many of the upper tier products have maybe 1, at most Marlins player and it’s normally a rookie auto. Some sets don’t even have a marlins player on the checklist period. Baseball doesn’t do itself any favors in that regard. 

Yamamoto doesn't *worry* me because like Duggar he's not a long-term piece of the rotation, I mean it's hard to be shocked when those guys get hit hard.  I want all these guys to be great of course, but they're just plugging holes right now and it's likely not going to work out more times than it will.  The more amazing thing to me is the bullpen holding together, I mean it's like he's just blindly throwing guys out there and for the most part it's been really good.  And with a lack of good starters right now we could be seeing a lot more of just juggling relievers in place of a good 1-5 rotation.

The hitting, feels like the lineup is just deeper.  There's no Yelich or Stanton or Ozuna but most of the guys are at least solid.  Maybe part of it is just having the DH, where seems like there's no holes in the lineup all of the sudden.

But hell if, if we're playing this well with half the team out...

• Like 4

Playoff odds inched up to 20.9%

This has been really fun.  I lol’d at the HR RIGHT AFTER the Cervelli mound meeting.  I like Cervelli, though.  We need him to stay healthy. 

A +9 Run Differential with a 6-1 record is concerning but I’m just enjoying the ride.  We kind of have to win the series vs the Mets.  Which is very doable. 

• Like 2