The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

I just got one of those emails from the Marlins promoting the upcoming homestand. I know they still gotta promote things but man it felt insulting getting that one today. If I could reply back I feel like saying how dare you ask me to watch this shitty team after this awful recent stretch, it's embarrassing. Why would I pick up tickets now? You guys gotta put in the work to get me wanting to buy tickets now.

• Like 2

They need to deep six much of the coaching staff in addition to Don, and it also extends to the minor leagues. 

We develop pitchers just fine, but why do our hitting prospects struggle when they get called up?  Look at all the bad approaches at the plate.  Outside of Isan, no one really works a count and takes the walk, swinging at pitches way out of the zone that would have been Ball 4. 

Situational hitting (I agree) is pathetic, swinging at anything instead of waiting for a pitch in the zone where they want it.. 

Baserunning and fielding fundamentals are bad. How often do we see runners get picked off, scratch our heads when a baserunner does not advance the xtra base, or wonder why a player is out of position? I am not even talking about Don's lack of guarding the line in the 9th, but instead the botched rundown between Alfaro and 3rd base. 

We have Isan swinging 3-0 all the time? That is on Don to get him to stop that.  When we do get a hitter's count, how many times are they late on a fastball and foul it off?  Christ, I know a fastball is coming, you know a fastball is coming, yet they foul it off and then tank the at-bat.     

I am being facetious here, but make Miggy Ro a player/manager.  I think firing Don now is the right time.  Either need a new mindset/approach or if Rowson continues with the same crap as Don, it probably confirms the Fo is calling the shots which is not a good thing at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Guess you completely forgot the point earlier in the season when Duvall and Cooper were out, which is when we first started asking about Sanchez.

Were not long term deals though.  They werent going to call him up to have a decision to make in 2 weeks at the time.

Logical thought

18 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I just got one of those emails from the Marlins promoting the upcoming homestand. I know they still gotta promote things but man it felt insulting getting that one today. If I could reply back I feel like saying how dare you ask me to watch this shitty team after this awful recent stretch, it's embarrassing. Why would I pick up tickets now? You guys gotta put in the work to get me wanting to buy tickets now.

Did the email mentions this team have Jesus Sanchez eventually, so the game would be much more good to watch ?

22 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

They need to deep six much of the coaching staff in addition to Don, and it also extends to the minor leagues. 

We develop pitchers just fine, but why do our hitting prospects struggle when they get called up?  Look at all the bad approaches at the plate.  Outside of Isan, no one really works a count and takes the walk, swinging at pitches way out of the zone that would have been Ball 4. 

Situational hitting (I agree) is pathetic, swinging at anything instead of waiting for a pitch in the zone where they want it.. 

Baserunning and fielding fundamentals are bad. How often do we see runners get picked off, scratch our heads when a baserunner does not advance the xtra base, or wonder why a player is out of position? I am not even talking about Don's lack of guarding the line in the 9th, but instead the botched rundown between Alfaro and 3rd base. 

We have Isan swinging 3-0 all the time? That is on Don to get him to stop that.  When we do get a hitter's count, how many times are they late on a fastball and foul it off?  Christ, I know a fastball is coming, you know a fastball is coming, yet they foul it off and then tank the at-bat.     

I am being facetious here, but make Miggy Ro a player/manager.  I think firing Don now is the right time.  Either need a new mindset/approach or if Rowson continues with the same crap as Don, it probably confirms the Fo is calling the shots which is not a good thing at all.

Jazz and Devers were the best pure hitters we had down there and it’s clear now. Bleday will join the club once he’s up. All those draft picks and only 3 dudes that are probably going to project as .270 or better hitters.

Edited by ZfromCIS

55 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Jazz and Devers were the best pure hitters we had down there and it’s clear now. Bleday will join the club once he’s up. All those draft picks and only 3 dudes that are probably going to project as .270 or better hitters.

Groundbreaking analysis there..... lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ZfromCIS said:

That’s a lot of guessing on your part. 

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Isan Diaz and Lewis Brinson were sent down.

Step in the right direction, though I do think Brinson could have a decent role on the MLB bench, but let's see what the corresponding moves are. This could be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FutureGM said:

A lot of the guys they have been running out there the last 2-3 seasons have just not performed

I'm all for patience but their unwillingness to move on from the busts is starting to hinder the entire team. 

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Step in the right direction, though I do think Brinson could have a decent role on the MLB bench, but let's see what the corresponding moves are. This could be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Poteet and Miggy, dude.

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

That’s a lot of guessing on your part. 

No it’s not. I watched Bleday in person at the NCAA because I had a family friend playing in the CWS. He’ll sleep walk to .270 in the big leagues.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Isan Diaz and Lewis Brinson were sent down.

I still don’t understand sending down LB time and time again. What games are these guys watching this year? His approach has tremendously improved from years past but we’ll never figure out if it’s finally clicking unless he sees ABs in the MLB. It’s not like years past when he’s just praying it’s a fastball of some kind.

Edited by ZfromCIS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZfromCIS said:

I still don’t understand sending down LB time and time again. What games are these guys watching this year? His approach has tremendously improved from years past but we’ll never figure out if it’s finally clicking unless he sees ABs in the MLB. It’s not like years past when he’s just praying it’s a fastball of some kind.

.585 OPS in the opportunities he HAS gotten, to be fair.

I agree his approach is better, but it was never good to begin with, unfortunately. He needs to stop complaining when he gets sent down, though, and start performing when he gets the chance.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Brinson is obviously being dicked around because his situation is the easiest to manipulate, he shouldn't take it personal. If he's around next season he probably gets the long leash that Sierra is getting this year. 

There's a problem, though - if the team feels Sierra needs to also stay in 2022 ... then you have two guys who are, right now, at BEST, just backup outfielders. Granted, if we don't keep Marte ... 🙄one or both would be needed out there, maybe as a platoon situation. Cool, bat em 8th!

12 hours ago, Michael said:

There's a problem, though - if the team feels Sierra needs to also stay in 2022 ... then you have two guys who are, right now, at BEST, just backup outfielders. Granted, if we don't keep Marte ... 🙄one or both would be needed out there, maybe as a platoon situation. Cool, bat em 8th!

Let LB platoon with Corey. He just need to get ABs because it looks like he’s improving. AAA isn’t going to help him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.