Avisail Garcia signs for 4/53

SonOfJack

Caught this late so I've got a few thoughts altogether, pardon the mess...

-Feels like Avisail has been a Marlins target/rumor for years so it almost feels like this was destined to happen eventually (like Sean Rodriguez years back) Oh and the mini Miggy jokes always made Avisail a Marlin-to-be.

-4/50+ two days after Marte signs with the Mets? Yea sure sounds like they took the exact deal offered to Marte and just passed it to Garcia as a desperation/backup plan. 

-4 years???? I'm shocked they'd go this long. That's what you offer to someone to lock up a starting role for the foreseeable future. I don't see this guy as any sure bet after year two, if not after year one alone. I really hope the Marlins don't portray this as a longterm All Star signing. 

-As for the bigger offseason picture, I don't mind this signing but this has to be one thing, arguably the smallest thing. As one piece of the puzzle this is fine but we all know the Marlins need a lot of things this offseason so we'll have to wait and see the rest of their moves. Nobody has said they'll stop here so whoever is mad at this as if it's their one big move should really let this story play out. I know there's not a lot of patience here lately and that's understandable but they haven't said this is it. I'm intrigued by Mish's hopeful take on what might be next because he's been quite critical lately and very hesitant to hype anything with the Marlins so him suddenly being optimistic is a great sign.

• Like 4

Meh. Really good outfielder, but up-and-down offensively.

Also seems to be an every other year kind of guy at the plate.

2017: .885 OPS

2018: .719 OPS

2019: .796 OPS

2020: .659 OPS (albeit, it was a shortened season)

2021: .820 OPS

Sooo hopefully that trend stops in 2022 and he picks up where he left off.

Not really crazy about giving Garcia four years just like I didn't want to give Marte four years (particularly at $20 million annually like NY gave him). Would have been much more comfortable at something like 3/39 or even 3/45 rather than 4/53.

Whatever. Hopefully more to come.

59 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Marlins still have no Catcher or CF folks. 

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

So basically right now for the most part look at last year's starting lineup and replace Marte with Garcia. Not very inspiring.

Better be a lot more to come.

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

I hope that the FO doesn't think that this is an inspiring move for the fanbase...

I get it but come on, it's been said and is well known by everyone that the Marlins need and are going for multiple additions this offseason, nobody has said this is it. It was never gonna be one move and call it an offseason.

If anything getting a free agent signing done had to be first and now they know what they have to work with as far as doing trades next. 

Extend Sandy, sign a free agent, trade assets to fill the other holes... it's actually been a logical progression thus far.

• Like 2

Just now, SilverBullet said:

I get it but come on, it's been said and is well known by everyone that the Marlins need and are going for multiple additions this offseason, nobody has said this is it. It was never gonna be one move and call it an offseason.

If anything getting a free agent signing done had to be first and now they know what they have to work with as far as doing trades next. 

Extend Sandy, sign a free agent, trade assets to fill the other holes... it's actually been a logical progression thus far.

Not to mention the fact that marquee franchises like the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers haven't done anything yet.

Still really early in the offseason. Chances are, this will drag out quite a bit.

Free agent signings don't really come together in two days... could they have been talking with both Marte and Garcia in the hopes of landing both and then, because of budget constraints, possibly short changing Marte to keep some money for Garcia and then now that Marte declined they took some of Marte's money and upped the offer to Garcia to lock him in before another got away?

Tell me that doesn't make a ton of sense. 

5 minutes ago, Valid said:

Meh. Really good outfielder, but up-and-down offensively.

Also seems to be an every other year kind of guy at the plate.

2017: .885 OPS

2018: .719 OPS

2019: .796 OPS

2020: .659 OPS (albeit, it was a shortened season)

2021: .820 OPS

Sooo hopefully that trend stops in 2022 and he picks up where he left off.

Not really crazy about giving Garcia four years just like I didn't want to give Marte four years (particularly at $20 million annually like NY gave him). Would have been much more comfortable at something like 3/39 or even 3/45 rather than 4/53.

Whatever. Hopefully more to come.

When I initially heard that the Marlins were in on Garcia, I saw these numbers and was instantly turned off by him. The fact that they are signing him for a deal that probably would have gotten Marte to sign in July adds insult to injury. Sure more moves to come might help, but I still won't be a fan of this one.

• Like 1

Weird that Mish is making it sound like the next big moves are coming relatively soon. It's late November, not that they can't do it now but things are probably close for him to say that because there's no urgency in terms of the calendar. It's not like spring training is anytime soon so that could mean something. Someone set a wake up call in Taiwan. 

2 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

When I initially heard that the Marlins were in on Garcia, I saw these numbers and was instantly turned off by him. The fact that they are signing him for a deal that probably would have gotten Marte to sign in July adds insult to injury. Sure more moves to come might help, but I still won't be a fan of this one.

Really feels like Garcia got some of the money that was alotted to Marte. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Weird that Mish is making it sound like the next big moves are coming relatively soon. It's late November, not that they can't do it now but things are probably close for him to say that because there's no urgency in terms of the calendar. It's not like spring training is anytime soon so that could mean something. Someone set a wake up call in Taiwan. 

Well, with the CBA expiring in a few days, maybe teams and players alike are eager to get a lot of things done early before the uncertainty arrives.

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

That lockout is changing things. I think there's urgency.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

There is urgency now because of the CBA.

17 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

There is no way Marte would have signed for 4/53 even back in July.

Edited by Valid

Ya I'm not really sure signing a corner infielder was anywhere near the top of the needs list, but to each their own.  

Corner outfielder is the easiest position to acquire relatively speaking so to make this your first sign for a deal thats kinda whatever, is curious. 

I am almost positive this is the dollars they alloted for Marte.

Thats just fucking stupid.  

I mean if they are announcing a deal for Mullins or Reynolds in the next 24 hours then what the fuck has been the point really?