2022-2023 Offseason Thread

rmc523

On 1/20/2023 at 7:21 PM, Erick said:

Arraez is not a good 2B. 

I’d much prefer Arraez at 1B with Garrett Cooper off the team. Maybe sign a guy like Gurriel as a backup 1B and someone who can play against lefties too. 

Trading 1 of our lower end pitchers for a Rodgers type of player (or MarlinsLou’s favorite guy in Cleveland, Rosario) and trading Cooper for a reliever or something would make some sense.

In an ideal world where we are ok with Jazz playing CF, we get a SS (which seems easier than getting a CF’er these days), and put Wendle at 3B (where he has more experience) and Jean at 2B (where he also has more experience/his best defensive position). 

Garrett Cooper doesn’t make much sense on this team. 

It pains me to say that I agree with this.

Arraez should be a DH because he is an awful defender basically.  He is barely passable at 2b and I think with no shift its going to be more difficult to hide him.   

His best position if you have to play him somewhere is 1b and thats also not ideal.

The Marlins dont really have a real SS on the roster and for a team yammering on about defense thats kinda embarassing.  (conversely if they were going to play Jazz at SS the same problem exists at CF which is just as embarassing given all the talk).  But thats also code word for cheap so its whatever.

I'd like Wendle in the role he is best suited for which is playing 5 days a week at 3-4 positions each week.  

Garrett Cooper should have been traded last year, and then earlier this winter and then now for anything you can get for him.

His value is probably far less than it was at the deadline but whatever.   He serves no real purpose as much as some around here want to have this glorified ideal of Garrett.

He cant play Defense, He doenst hit for power and he is still injury prone.  End of day, its not like he is some elite hitter like Arraez is to justify his spot on a roster.  Oh ane he is old being 32 years old now.  A 1 WAR player in his best season, you'd like to think the Marlins could find a 1 WAR player somewhere that actually fits the roster far better.

In fact if they do finish the deal and sign Gurriel, then Garret Cooper's existence on the roster makes even less sense.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Iowa said:

Still a lot of work to do. Not sure any moves they've made this offseason really matter if they dont keep going. Adding Profar and/or Yuli at the very least still needs to be done.. and if they do that, you may as well trade for Reynolds lol

why?

Adding Yuli and Profar only costs money.

Adding Reynolds costs you prospects which you arent really that deep with at this point, and if you dont extend Reynolds upon acquiring him then you are kinda stupid. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

why?

Adding Yuli and Profar only costs money.

Adding Reynolds costs you prospects which you arent really that deep with at this point, and if you dont extend Reynolds upon acquiring him then you are kinda stupid. 

Yeah I honestly think if they pump enough quality depth pieces in, that’s what keeps a team from having a shitty month or two in the dog days of summer. Plenty of teams run away with the division for 2/3’s of the season then run out of gas. So if they can find a way to keep that late season swoon from happening and just grinding and winning series consistently, they can get into October. 

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Anderson isn't wrong with those comments. Not to rehash things, but them doing absolutely nothing after making the playoffs in 2020 was telling. I get it may have been "early" vs. their timeline, but who cares - they should have pushed to make some moves and at least try to compete instead of just nothing/back to rebuild mode.  It shows players they don't care.

Fast forward to now, just about any other team with our payroll situation would've dropped one of the big SS guys on the market on our roster AND traded for Reynolds on top of our other moves. Alas, we can't have nice things lol.

58 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Anderson isn't wrong with those comments. Not to rehash things, but them doing absolutely nothing after making the playoffs in 2020 was telling. I get it may have been "early" vs. their timeline, but who cares - they should have pushed to make some moves and at least try to compete instead of just nothing/back to rebuild mode.  It shows players they don't care.

Fast forward to now, just about any other team with our payroll situation would've dropped one of the big SS guys on the market on our roster AND traded for Reynolds on top of our other moves. Alas, we can't have nice things lol.

ya except the Brewers arent totally commited to winning.

See the Hader, Josh moronic trade last year over well....money.

If the Brewers truly were commited to winning at every level (lol @ their system) they dont trade Josh Hader in the middle of the season for financial reasons.

Brian's options also were not that numerous as well.   Hopefully he has a wonderful season though!