Bobby Valentine News and Rumors

Erick

Those Mets teams were only loaded with overpaid vets. The Texas teams didn't have any pitching.

What good is the manager then if he cant overcome any of this?

People need to stopping putting so much importance into the managers role if they have to have the perfect team to succeed

This is how I feel. Beinfest gets a free pass constantly.

If you watch the press conference from June 23rd, you see in Beinfest he looks worried. I think he could be in more trouble than some surmise. Loria will be royally p.o.'d if at years end we are say 10-12 games below .500 (which is what I think will happen, Valentine or not), and his chopping block may have Beinfest's name written on it.

We're not talking about Beinfest admitting his mistakes.

This board has been anti-Fredi all season. It's Beinfest's fault that the bullpen sucks, the bench sucks, and that the Marlins aren't receiving return on the Cabrera trade.

Beinfest might be acknowledging his hand in this (I admire him for doing so), but this board seems to be [wrongly] branding Fredi as the primary scapegoat.

The Marlins can hire Valentine tomorrow and they will still have Veras, Strickland, Wood (etc.) in the pen, Lamb on the bench, Maybin in AAA, and Miller playing horribly in AA.

Valentine might manage the garbage better, but that will only bring marginal improvement when the talent isn't there.

You are Wrong! Since Fredi got fired Miller has already started to pitch much better. Fredi was a very...very...very bad man!

In all seriousness Valentine has many significant challenges ahead of him, that go beyond the bullpen. I believe he will bring a new environment to the dugout. Right now Hanley is a mess, and he needs to make that situation a priority. Do players like Valentine? Well he is tougher than Fredi, but also is more animated and vocal. He does seem to have the ability to rally his players together but he isn't a miracle worker. We are getting a more fiery coach who is more focused on discipline than Fredi and is much more demanding However he has to be more fun to play for than Fredi as well. Valentine has a record of .510 in the majors but there were some sad Rangers teams that he managed and was able to get them to a level that they became competitive and playoff contenders. Change was needed ...Is he the right guy for the job?... it will take awhile to find out. He however has stronger leadership than Fredi and that should have an immediate impact.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/200495-the-10-most-bizarre-ejections-in-sports#page/8

Bobby Valentine Comes Back in Disguise

After getting ejected earlier in the game, Mets manager Bobby Valentine actually puts on a fake mustache using tape and a pair of sunglasses and comes back into the dugout to finish the game.

That's the kind of thing that happens in bad movies.

Unluckily for Bobby V, the commentators spied him out.

Nonetheless, it was still the greatest return

If you watch the press conference from June 23rd, you see in Beinfest he looks worried. I think he could be in more trouble than some surmise. Loria will be royally p.o.'d if at years end we are say 10-12 games below .500 (which is what I think will happen, Valentine or not), and his chopping block may have Beinfest's name written on it.

This board has been anti-Fredi all season. It's Beinfest's fault that the bullpen sucks, the bench sucks, and that the Marlins aren't receiving return on the Cabrera trade.

Beinfest might be acknowledging his hand in this (I admire him for doing so), but this board seems to be [wrongly] branding Fredi as the primary scapegoat.

The Marlins can hire Valentine tomorrow and they will still have Veras, Strickland, Wood (etc.) in the pen, Lamb on the bench, Maybin in AAA, and Miller playing horribly in AA.

Valentine might manage the garbage better, but that will only bring marginal improvement when the talent isn't there.

Isn't that what a scapegoat is? Someone to publicly get the blame when it really isn't his fault? Basically that's what this firing is.

What's Valentine's managerial style?

I think he's a bunt them over, move them over, station to station, stolen base kind of guy but I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure?

I don't think he'll be a good fit with Beinfest as I don't see Valentine being the puppet Beinfest wants. They'll clash just like Girardi clashed with Beinfest. If this happens it will not end well.

Not sure if it was mentioned by anyone but last week Dave Collins ran the closed door meeting after being swept by the Rangers. That should have being a sign that Fredi's days were numbered.

This is what I'd like to know.

Everyone here seems to want this guy so much, but do they really know enough about him?

Beinfest's failures going into 2010 (bad bullpen, Maybin and Miller not contributing, bad bench players) far outweigh the negative consequences of Gonzalez's in-game management.

I think Beinfest is an above average GM and should keep his job, but it amazes me that he escapes criticism from the camp that has been calling for Fredi's head for almost two years now.

I think that's another exaggeration. I think it's more that everyone is just resigned to the fact he will be hired.

They've been talking about Valentine here for a year now.

And why is the Showalter vs. Valentine polls results so one-sided? This is what I am referring to. How is Valentine unanimously better?

Again. I think it's because everyone is just resigned to the fact it is going to happen. Personally, I don't think one would be any better than the other one. And I never voted in that poll. Didn't see much sense in it.

But here's a thought. What happens if Bobby and Buck both want too much $$$ for too many years AND too much control over the team? Is Loria going to do that? It may be a long shot right now, but the next manager for the Marlins may be the current interim manager. The $$$ and circumstances could make this plausible.

I also want to know why people think he's such a great manager.

I don't think anyone really considers him a great manager, I just think people realize there isn't a whole lot of proven success out there right now that would be a decent fit and there really isn't anyone from within our organization worth a damn as far as I'm aware. You take what you can get, if there's nothing but pennies for you to choose from may as well pick the shiniest one.

Has anyone in this thread said he is a great manager? I'm not even sure anyone has said he is a great fit. Maybe one or two. Or maybe in other threads I haven't read. Seems to me the mindset is that he is going to be the next manager and are discussing that. Looks like Loria had him pegged last off season and is now getting his way. It has been drilled into the fan base that he will be next.

And I'm not 100% it will happen. Those negotiations would be interesting to listen in on.

I don't think anyone really considers him a great manager, I just think people realize there isn't a whole lot of proven success out there right now that would be a decent fit and there really isn't anyone from within our organization worth a damn as far as I'm aware. You take what you can get, if there's nothing but pennies for you to choose from may as well pick the shiniest one.

Has anyone in this thread said he is a great manager? I'm not even sure anyone has said he is a great fit. Maybe one or two. Or maybe in other threads I haven't read. Seems to me the mindset is that he is going to be the next manager and are discussing that. Looks like Loria had him pegged last off season and is now getting his way. It has been drilled into the fan base that he will be next.

And I'm not 100% it will happen. Those negotiations would be interesting to listen in on.

Will they announce a new manager before they hire Carlos' and Pressley's replacements so all three come in at once? Or will the new manager be hired and managing for a period before they do interviews for the other two? Do you think if it is Bobby as the new manager that part of the negotiation will to bring in his own people? Seems to be it would be harder midseason then post season.

Isn't that what a scapegoat is? Someone to publicly get the blame when it really isn't his fault? Basically that's what this firing is.

Beinfest still probably isn't the major problem here. It's the players. Hanley has been damn good, but not at his best. Cody, Uggla, and Cantu haven't been hitting lately while Stanton didn't come out of the gates like everyone expected.

Under the circumstances, I think Beinfest could be considered a scapegoat too. My point, however, is that everyone is blaming the person who should be blamed the least, and that's Fredi Gonzalez.

What's Valentine's managerial style?

I think he's a bunt them over, move them over, station to station, stolen base kind of guy but I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure?

I don't think he'll be a good fit with Beinfest as I don't see Valentine being the puppet Beinfest wants. They'll clash just like Girardi clashed with Beinfest. If this happens it will not end well.

Not sure if it was mentioned by anyone but last week Dave Collins ran the closed door meeting after being swept by the Rangers. That should have being a sign that Fredi's days were numbered.

This is what I'd like to know.

Everyone here seems to want this guy so much, but do they really know enough about him?

Beinfest's failures going into 2010 (bad bullpen, Maybin and Miller not contributing, bad bench players) far outweigh the negative consequences of Gonzalez's in-game management.

I think Beinfest is an above average GM and should keep his job, but it amazes me that he escapes criticism from the camp that has been calling for Fredi's head for almost two years now.

I think that's another exaggeration. I think it's more that everyone is just resigned to the fact he will be hired.

They've been talking about Valentine here for a year now.

And why is the Showalter vs. Valentine polls results so one-sided? This is what I am referring to. How is Valentine unanimously better?

Again. I think it's because everyone is just resigned to the fact it is going to happen. Personally, I don't think one would be any better than the other one. And I never voted in that poll. Didn't see much sense in it.

But here's a thought. What happens if Bobby and Buck both want too much $$$ for too many years AND too much control over the team? Is Loria going to do that? It may be a long shot right now, but the next manager for the Marlins may be the current interim manager. The $$$ and circumstances could make this plausible.

So people voted "yes" in the poll just because they assumed that Bobby would get the job? Right. Is that why people have been talking about the Marlins hiring Valentine since last season?

The only loud anti-Valentine voice here is Spike. Nobody else seems to even consider that Wedge or Showalter might be better for this team.

I don't think people have even considered how this will affect Hanley. Valentine is known for berating players who don't hustle. While I personally like this approach, Hanley might not. Clearly Ramirez did not respect Gonzalez one bit, but if he's going to resent managers who get on his case about not hustling there might be some problems.

Considering that Valentine and Showalter have been reduced to analyst work, I don't envision them commanding contracts that the Marlins can't comply with. I think they'll take about $1 million, which is something the Marlins can comply with, despite being more than Fredi made.

Will they announce a new manager before they hire Carlos' and Pressley's replacements so all three come in at once? Or will the new manager be hired and managing for a period before they do interviews for the other two? Do you think if it is Bobby as the new manager that part of the negotiation will to bring in his own people? Seems to be it would be harder midseason then post season.

The hiring should be the next managers job...he should pick at least part of his staff

Bobby Valentine is still considered the front-runner, although the search process has slowed considerably.

"It's getting complicated,' a person familiar with the negotiations said Saturday. The general belief is still that Valentine will be the Marlins' next manager, according to multiple sources.

Part of the delay is believed to be a buyout clause in Valentine's contract with ESPN, but the specifics of that contract are not known.

According to one source, the buyout, believed to be less than $1 million, would have to be paid by Valentine - or the Marlins.

Valentine had a 2003 contract with ESPN, during a previous job there, that charged a penalty fee if he left the network, according to a USA Today report in September.

Valentine hasn't had a formal interview yet with the team and he didn't know when one would take place.

"I think David should answer this,' Valentine said in a text message, referring to Marlins President David Samson, who wasn't immediately available for comment.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/dave-collins-resigns-as-marlins-coach-771360.html

Were gonna have to pay an extra 1 mil to get him.

Interesting article on Valentine in the PBP. One tidbit:

In 2004, Valentine returned to Chiba Lotte in Japan, where he stayed until last fall and once again found success, winning the 2005 championship. Then last year, at the outset of his sixth season, management announced it would be his last. More than 112,000 fans signed a petition to keep him, but the decision stood.

112,000? Japanese?

Holy moly, Batman, there's probably never been more than about 6 U.S. fans who have tried to resurrect any fired manager here.

http://www.palmbeach...http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/marlins/potential-marlins-manager-bobby-valentine-a-polarizing-presence-771378.html

The whole thing is good.

I thought it sounded familiar, and sure enough, the Rich Donnelly in the PBP story which relates how Valentine showed up at his daughter's funeral is the same guy of "the chicken runs at midnight" story who connected with Anibal Sanchez regarding the death of his son:

http://articles.sun-...http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-05-24/sports/fl-anibal-sanchez-rich-donnelly-0525-20100524_1_venezuelan-right-hander-anibal-sanchez-florida-marlins

If Valentine is hired, it wouldn't be surprising if Donnelly winds up being one of his coaches. One article mentions Donnelly's desire to return to coaching, the other the "close relationship" he has with Valentine.

I would think part of the negotiations would be him wanting to bring in his own people. But not this season. Go with the org's people right now so the new manager (if there is one) can get first hand knowledge of each player at every level and then bring in his people after the season, regardless of how the team does this season.

I never have felt comfortable with the FO picking the people the manager has to work with. He should be allowed to pick the people he most feels most comfortable around and has built up trust with.

Beinfest still probably isn't the major problem here. It's the players. Hanley has been damn good, but not at his best. Cody, Uggla, and Cantu haven't been hitting lately while Stanton didn't come out of the gates like everyone expected.

Under the circumstances, I think Beinfest could be considered a scapegoat too. My point, however, is that everyone is blaming the person who should be blamed the least, and that's Fredi Gonzalez.

Putting it that way, I can't disagree with you. In fact, I think it was pretty well said.

But some of us didn't think Stanton would come out of the gates with guns blazing. Matter of fact, we even voiced concerns about the fans' reactions if he didn't.

So people voted "yes" in the poll just because they assumed that Bobby would get the job? Right. Is that why people have been talking about the Marlins hiring Valentine since last season?

The only loud anti-Valentine voice here is Spike. Nobody else seems to even consider that Wedge or Showalter might be better for this team.

I don't think people have even considered how this will affect Hanley. Valentine is known for berating players who don't hustle. While I personally like this approach, Hanley might not. Clearly Ramirez did not respect Gonzalez one bit, but if he's going to resent managers who get on his case about not hustling there might be some problems.

Considering that Valentine and Showalter have been reduced to analyst work, I don't envision them commanding contracts that the Marlins can't comply with. I think they'll take about $1 million, which is something the Marlins can comply with, despite being more than Fredi made.

No. I believe you have that backwards. People voted yes because the "In the know" people have been talking about it since last off season. And one other point. Loria has shown in the past that he will not listen to the guys he pays to make these types of decisions. He will go hire who he wants to. Apparently he dosen't learn from his mistakes. And whether anyone liked GI Joe or not, that turned into one heck of a fiasco.

I'm neither pro or anti Bobby V. We have already agreed that if the other problems aren't adressed then it dosen't matter who they bring in here. It's really just that simple.

The Hanley remarks I agree with whole heartedly. Just the opposite on the $$$ predictions.

Bobby Valentine is no longer in the running for the Marlins managerial position, tweets Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated.

Wow, if this is true I am very disappointed. Now what?

Well it means we are really in the crapper. Thanks Loria, now you can't get a known MLB manager to come here because of your cheapa**ness.

Hello to AAAA Marlins forever !

Loria realized no manager can fix this mess so we might as well stick with Edwin? Loria has to fix it by spending some money on a competent bullpen and bench. Or Beinfest has to fix it by securing some good talent by trading our proven players. Me thinks Beinfest will be given the task.

Still, this is disappointing.