John Buck Signs Three Year Deal

Admin

The Marlins signed catcher John Buck to a 3 year contract valued at $18 million on Tuesday. Buck who had a career year in Toronto in 2010 is expected to see the bulk of starts in 2011 with John Baker serving as the backup catcher once he's ready to return from Tommy John surgery.

The signing of Buck most likely signifies the end of Ronny Paulino's career in Florida. Paulino was suspended in 2010 for a performance enhancing drug violation and was set to miss the start of 2011 as well. It was expected the Marlins would shy away from bringing Paulino back but the possibility remained open due to the lack of options in the organization. With Buck now on board, the Marlins can go to Brett Hayes or Brad Davis to start 2011 as backup if Baker isn't ready to go. It's also possible the Marlins look outside the organization for a backup catcher but that option is a lot less likely.

Buck was not much of a force in his time in Kansas City before playing in Toronto in 2010. In fact, Buck was non-tendered by Kansas City before signing for $2 million with Toronto. This is by far the most lucrative deal Buck has had, and also is one of the biggest free agent signings in recent history for the Marlins. Buck was rumored to also be on the radar of the Boston Red Sox before signing with the Marlins.

Click here to view the article

Oh god enough with the pouting, it might not have been what you wanted but it's something more than nothing, is it not? 20 pops aint bad for 120 games, despite his lesser hitting numbers and sub par defense. But all in all, can this still not be seen as an upgrade?

I just refuse to believe that we couldnt get SOMETHING better

Oh god enough with the pouting, it might not have been what you wanted but it's something more than nothing, is it not? 20 pops aint bad for 120 games, despite his lesser hitting numbers and sub par defense. But all in all, can this still not be seen as an upgrade?

On paper, fine. But what about interest... in the Marlins? at that price?

Sorry misunderstanding - I thought you referred to the Uggla trade as an upgrade and that is why I voiced my opinions about getting something better.

Sorry misunderstanding - I thought you referred to the Uggla trade as an upgrade and that is why I voiced my opinions about getting something better.

Oh with that, fine, I agree, Uggla we could've done better. And not another 2nd baseman that way Dominguez has a spot. More like... a CF.

And I thought it was frustrating to get a mediocre utility player and a lefty reliever for Uggla, this is just great giving contracts and measuring value off career years which may never be replicated, such an amazing way to go about acquiring and signing players.

Also hi everyone I'm new. :)

He was an all-star this past season and Cito Gaston helped to make him a better hitter than in previous years, not a whole bunch of money all things considered either. While the in-house options weren't feasible this acqisition at least gives the Marlins one less thing to worry about for three years, especially if Baker is able to recover and give the Marlins a god one-two punch behind the dish.

yeah you can't go into the season with Davis and Hayes guys.... c'mon.

Hopefully Baker gets healthy though. I'm not super-high on this but hopefully Buck rewards the Marlins for this, it's certainly a nice deal for him.

Paulino was a nice cheap find but OPS .665 last season and his power completely disappeared.

$6m a year for a 30 year old, .720 career OPS., bad defensive catcher? I understand he had a decent year last year but that was way above his career norm.

Based on his career I can't imagine he replicates those numbers, which aren't even that good to begin with.

The first time in YEARS we spend money on a FA, and it's a mediocre catcher who would be a backup on a lot of teams? Ugh.

I don't understand why they didn't give Brad Davis more consideration. Seems like he would be more promising, less risk, and less expensive. Anyone got any ideas?

Buck>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Davis

He has power and was a 3 WAR catcher last year. Just hope he keeps up the power #'s. If he doesn't, it'll be the worst contract the franchise has ever given out. If he does, cool...we have a starting catcher.