Stadium Name To Be Revealed Whenever They Feel Like It

gizmo

BTW I'm still saying that the big sports bar is going to be Duffy's. Rumors keep getting stronger. Still don't see how they (or whoever) plan on being profitable in the off season.

But I am a bit disappointed. I was guessing that this year's Holiday Party would be at the new ball park. I was just told it isn't going to be there.

BTW I'm still saying that the big sports bar is going to be Duffy's. Rumors keep getting stronger. Still don't see how they (or whoever) plan on being profitable in the off season.

But I am a bit disappointed. I was guessing that this year's Holiday Party would be at the new ball park. I was just told it isn't going to be there.

They said some of the restaurants will remain open year-round. Maybe that includes the bar.

They said some of the restaurants will remain open year-round. Maybe that includes the bar.

Of course it does. What I'm getting at is that I wonder if a place like Duffy's can pull in a decent regular crowd in an area like that year round. I'm not going to travel that far to Duffy's (or whatever) when there is one right here in my neighborhood just because that one is at the ball park. Sports bars are more like neighborhood retreats. Even if it's not Duffy's, I'm assuming it will be a similar type place. A franchise restaurant, not a one-of-a-kind type place.

Probably still going to be too much construction going on, and their insurance won't allow it.

Of course it does. What I'm getting at is that I wonder if a place like Duffy's can pull in a decent regular crowd in an area like that year round. I'm not going to travel that far to Duffy's (or whatever) when there is one right here in my neighborhood just because that one is at the ball park. Sports bars are more like neighborhood retreats. Even if it's not Duffy's, I'm assuming it will be a similar type place. A franchise restaurant, not a one-of-a-kind type place.

Remember that Coconut Grove, Brickell & Coral Gables are only a 5 minute drive from the new stadium. They will draw some of the crowds that go to those areas I would assume. South Miami is only a 10 minute drive, so some of that crowd may go there too.

People from Broward & Palm Beach counties have this superiority complex. They think that eveything will fail because its not Broward-Palm Beach centric. The southern part of Miami-Dade has been ignored by the Marlins for 20 years now. Now that they are playing less than half the distance from Cutler Ridge & Pinecrest than in Sun Life, you will see a whole new crowd be a part of the Marlins fan base.

Its not like the Broward / Palm Beach residents exactly overflowed Sun Life the last few years.

Remember that Coconut Grove, Brickell & Coral Gables are only a 5 minute drive from the new stadium. They will draw some of the crowds that go to those areas I would assume. South Miami is only a 10 minute drive, so some of that crowd may go there too.

People from Broward & Palm Beach counties have this superiority complex. They think that eveything will fail because its not Broward-Palm Beach centric. The southern part of Miami-Dade has been ignored by the Marlins for 20 years now. Now that they are playing less than half the distance from Cutler Ridge & Pinecrest than in Sun Life, you will see a whole new crowd be a part of the Marlins fan base.

Its not like the Broward / Palm Beach residents exactly overflowed Sun Life the last few years.

Really wierd way to turn this because I have no problem with the stadium being where it is going to be. Never have. But, whatever. See no sense in continuing.

I'm kinda hoping that. Because if the place is 5 or 10 minutes from the new place, and that is only 20 minutes from Joe Robbie, then....

Man, I wish I lived only 30 minutes from the ball park.

But.....The point is still lost. Sports bars are more a neighborhood establishment. Heck, bet there are 4 or 5 within a few minutes from me. I think it might draw just for the uniquness for the first few months. But during the off season that uniquness will have worn off. Or is he saying there are no sports bars in all those neighborhoods?

hhGregg stadium? I never even heard of them until I saw a commercial a few months back and the hhGregg commercial kept coming on during the Dolphins game tonight. Did they buy Brandsmart or some other store chain like that? There's a bunch of them in South Florida.

No one wants you to travel that far for Duffy's in the offseason, it's not for you. This isn't Sun Life where it'd need people to travel for it to be okay. The new ballpark is in the middle of Miami, right out of Downtown.

No one wants you to travel that far for Duffy's in the offseason, it's not for you. This isn't Sun Life where it'd need people to travel for it to be okay. The new ballpark is in the middle of Miami, right out of Downtown.

Agreed with Rabbethan. A successful sports bar in any area needs to met that areas sports bar demands.(lots of tv's showing native teams, decent food, cheap booze, can be family friendly, air conditioned) IMO, it's a bit formulaic at this point. If any team in any sport from FL is playing a game - have it on the screen! i'm getting tired of going to "Florida sportsbars" (that are marketed as such) and discovering i have to ask for the Marlins game or find a table perfectly situated to watch it on the tiniest tv.

then again, i can understand that bars will put games on tv based on demand(since no one is actually FROM here;) )still, we need a leader in this area. only air the FL sports teams, haters gonna hate. you know?

I think that reflects more on the terrible job this ownership has done in trying to win over the potential fanbase in South Fla, especially Miami-Dade County. There should have been a concerted effort to join forces with local restaurants & bars to contractually force them to show the games on at least one TV in their establishments, and that might have helped build more interest in the team. That is just one thing they could have done. I agree its annoying to walk into a sports bar here in Miami and the TV's are on Yankee, Mets and Braves games.

Then again the proliferation of MLB on TV has hurt the Marlins as well. Its been a blessing & a curse. That has provided a lot of extra $ because of MLB Extra Innings, and MLB.TV but it also helps keep people watching their old teams, and doesn't give them a reason to abandon them, and maybe come see the Marlins. Its been part of the problem down here, whether or not people want to admit it or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Not talking about me. Don't know why people feel the need to keep reminding me where the new place is. Been there. Know exactly where it is and the neighborhood around it.

The post I reponded to had a few cities mentioned. I would have to assume those named cities have sports bars. Maybe not a Duffy's (if my guess is right and it is a Duffy's), but good sports bars. To me, a sports bar is a neighborhood thing. A place that is close to your home. And one is pretty much like any other. Pretty much, just the name is changed. And that's the point. The "To-be-named-later" sports bar should do fine during the season and during other infrequent events. But during the off season during normal day to day operations? I doubt it.

I think that reflects more on the terrible job this ownership has done in trying to win over the potential fanbase in South Fla, especially Miami-Dade County. There should have been a concerted effort to join forces with local restaurants & bars to contractually force them to show the games on at least one TV in their establishments, and that might have helped build more interest in the team. That is just one thing they could have done. I agree its annoying to walk into a sports bar here in Miami and the TV's are on Yankee, Mets and Braves games.

Then again the proliferation of MLB on TV has hurt the Marlins as well. Its been a blessing & a curse. That has provided a lot of extra $ because of MLB Extra Innings, and MLB.TV but it also helps keep people watching their old teams, and doesn't give them a reason to abandon them, and maybe come see the Marlins. Its been part of the problem down here, whether or not people want to admit it or not.

I have no idea how you go into someone else's biz and make them sign a contract to feature your biz. Or if force feeding your product on someone that enjoys a different product will change anything. Other cities that have a large population of "outsiders" moving in don't seem to have the same attendance problems as South Florida.

People don't go to Marlins games because they don't want to go to Marlins games, no matter the amount of excuses they can come up with to contradict that fact. We have a place to be seen type of fan base. It's really just that simple.

Yeah, even as a Marlins fan, the idea of a sports bar being contractually obligated to show their broadcasts sounds repulsive to me. Thankfully something like that will never happen.

The tepid fanbase is not caused by (nor maintained by) the lack of Marlins games on TVs in restaurants. Rather, it's the lack of interest of the tepid fanbase that's given restaurants little reason to feature their games.

If you are looking for reasons for "lack of interest," I would look elsewhere. The two firesales and consistently below average payroll might be places to start, but that doesn't explain the disappointing attendance in 2004-2005. From there you start running through the entire list of usual excuses.