Stadium Name To Be Revealed Whenever They Feel Like It

gizmo

BTW I'm still saying that the big sports bar is going to be Duffy's. Rumors keep getting stronger. Still don't see how they (or whoever) plan on being profitable in the off season.

But I am a bit disappointed. I was guessing that this year's Holiday Party would be at the new ball park. I was just told it isn't going to be there.

They said some of the restaurants will remain open year-round. Maybe that includes the bar.

Of course it does. What I'm getting at is that I wonder if a place like Duffy's can pull in a decent regular crowd in an area like that year round. I'm not going to travel that far to Duffy's (or whatever) when there is one right here in my neighborhood just because that one is at the ball park. Sports bars are more like neighborhood retreats. Even if it's not Duffy's, I'm assuming it will be a similar type place. A franchise restaurant, not a one-of-a-kind type place.

No one wants you to travel that far for Duffy's in the offseason, it's not for you. This isn't Sun Life where it'd need people to travel for it to be okay. The new ballpark is in the middle of Miami, right out of Downtown.

Not talking about me. Don't know why people feel the need to keep reminding me where the new place is. Been there. Know exactly where it is and the neighborhood around it.

The post I reponded to had a few cities mentioned. I would have to assume those named cities have sports bars. Maybe not a Duffy's (if my guess is right and it is a Duffy's), but good sports bars. To me, a sports bar is a neighborhood thing. A place that is close to your home. And one is pretty much like any other. Pretty much, just the name is changed. And that's the point. The "To-be-named-later" sports bar should do fine during the season and during other infrequent events. But during the off season during normal day to day operations? I doubt it.

I truly see your point, Bob, and agree with part of it yet this has something no other sports bars have and that is looking onto the Miami skyline through the glass. Or I sure hope it is set up that way. I for one would certainly think of driving extra miles if I knew I could look out at that view at the same time enjoying such events as the Heat games, the Dolphin games, Olympics, some large tennis matches, golf and other events I can't think of at the moment on extra large flat screens. If it were set up like Damon's which there was one here (and other I saw in Michigan) where the screens were floor to ceiling, had awesome dinners/sandwiches and a bar. Think Conine's with floor to ceiling tvs!! Now it would certainly pull the local neighborhood, but can you imagine Olympics or Heat games at night also having the ability of seeing the Miami skyline?? What more would you need? :D

(Forget all this if you can't see the skyline, lol)

Speaking of bars, not necessarily sports bars, or even semi-sports-bars...

Last Monday, in the afternoon, just as the Marlins game was about to televised (this was the Mutt's 4:00/7:30 doubleheader,) I'm in the kitchen and heard a very loud pop outside. As the power went off. Uh, oh. It's not even raining. Then another loud pop.

That's probably not at all good, power-wise. I've heard this before. Sounded like a transformer. Sure enough. 15 minutes later, FPL says no power until 8:30. Not good.

So, we did what we always do when power goes out to lunch for a few hours. Go to the TGIF near Costco on Biscayne at about 150th. They have an almost-permanent happy hour and 1/2-off appetizers.

6 screens. No Marlins game on any of them. Put the game on? No problem. Place was full of the usual local bar-flies. Same bunch as the last time the power went out a few months ago. None of them paid even the slightest attention.

Not once, and I was watching the crowd, such as it was for any indication of any interest. At all. Nada.

Watched the entire game.

Now, it's getting to be time to head home and see if FPL has beaten their repair-time estimate, as they usually do.

As we left, the one Marlins-game screen had already been changed to something else.

There are exactly zero fans there. Well, there were two, but we left.

When I got home, the place is dark but I insert my key into the lock. Bam! The lights come on inside. Game 2!

Incredible timing. It'll never happen again. Thank you FPL. You finally did something right.

:lol

• 3 weeks later...

tonight on the broadcast they had a gentleman from Ford. He said we will be seeing a visible and thorough presence of Ford at the new stadium. He mentioned that him, his associates, and executives from corporate marketing recently got a personal tour of our new ballpark.

It made me wonder, is Ford going to be getting the naming rights? Or maybe he was referring to a more publix-esque involvement, as in when they had their name all over the Teal Tower.

I got the impression from his comments that it's something big. Thoughts?

I truly see your point, Bob, and agree with part of it yet this has something no other sports bars have and that is looking onto the Miami skyline through the glass. Or I sure hope it is set up that way. I for one would certainly think of driving extra miles if I knew I could look out at that view at the same time enjoying such events as the Heat games, the Dolphin games, Olympics, some large tennis matches, golf and other events I can't think of at the moment on extra large flat screens. If it were set up like Damon's which there was one here (and other I saw in Michigan) where the screens were floor to ceiling, had awesome dinners/sandwiches and a bar. Think Conine's with floor to ceiling tvs!! Now it would certainly pull the local neighborhood, but can you imagine Olympics or Heat games at night also having the ability of seeing the Miami skyline?? What more would you need? :D

(Forget all this if you can't see the skyline, lol)

That would make it unique, and unique is what it would have to be to draw on non-game days. But I just have my doubts. I think you would be more of the exception than the rule. Alot of the complaints about going to games at Joe Robbie was the traffic because of the flow. Is that traffic flow now going to magically disappear? Or was that simply just an excuse. If the new place is 5 minutes from downtown Miami before game times now, then it has to be one or the other.

If we have to put up with "Pepsi Park" or "Pepsi" anything, I hope the bidding war was absolutely fierce and they're paying A LOT for the naming rights.

The extensive delay would certainly be consistent with a larger deal than they had initially expected to be able to announce back in May. In any case, a better deal translates into increased payroll.