2014 coaching staff announced

Admin

They should have made Butler Hitting coach as well

I guess Menechino has some experience, better than nothing

Direct quote from the web page...."Brett Butler, regarded as one of the best bunters and baserunners during his playing days, joins the organization as the new third-base and outfield coach."

Ya gotta think that although it isn't going to be an official title, he will be helping out with some aspects of the hitting. And, according to that article, they are still considering a second hitting coach.

Ya gotta think that although it isn't going to be an official title, he will be helping out with some aspects of the hitting. And, according to that article, they are still considering a second hitting coach.

Loria will be our super-double-secret 2nd hitting coach. He'll give masterful tutorials when nobody is watching. He was overheard muttering "You didn't like Tino telling you to pick up balls? Well, just wait. I won't grab you by the throat, I'll trade you or send you down." What better motivator or advice than that could there possibly be?

More seriously, Jon Rauch (bless his hideous tatoos) is one of the better outfield coaches we've never had. Something about throwing a two-seamer, IIRC. Lemme look it up. Yup, sure enough, that was it. As Ozuna related, back when he had 8 assists in about 62 games in early July:

Marcell Ozuna said Rauch improved his throwing accuracy by changing the way the outfielder grips the baseball. Rauch told Ozuna he would receive better results if he threw a two-seamer with the palm of his hand "behind the seams." That slight adjustment flattened Ozuna's throws.

"The ball was diving before," Ozuna said. "Jon Rauch told me to grab the ball with the seams behind. I saw the difference right away. The ball went straight, straight, straight -- no movement."

Ozuna recorded his eighth outfield assist on Tuesday when he threw out the Braves' Chris Johnson at the plate. Only Arizona's Gerardo Parra and Colorado's Carlos Gonzalez -- with nine assists each -- have more. The Marlins team record of 20 outfield assists was set in 1998 by Mark Kotsay.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2013/07/marcell-ozuna-credits-ex-marlins-reliever-jon-rauch-for-throwing-accuracy.html

I wonder if Brett Butler hates WAR too.

Since he was a player and the very definition of WAR says it does not reflect the true talent level of a player and there are 3 different formulas (which is kinda funny in itself), I would think in real life situations he wouldn't care much for it. But if he plays video games and/or fantasy baseball he would be an idiot not to use one formula or another.

I wonder if Brett Butler hates WAR too.

Since he was a player and the very definition of WAR says it does not reflect the true talent level of a player and there are 3 different formulas (which is kinda funny in itself), I would think in real life situations he wouldn't care much for it. But if he plays video games and/or fantasy baseball he would be an idiot not to use one formula or another.

I should point out to everyone that your entire post was basically lifted from the Wikipedia entry on WAR. You didn't know what WAR was, so you Wiki'd it and basically repeated everything that was negative sounding to you.

On that note, there is nothing in the "very definition of WAR" that says it does not account for the "true talent" level of players. That statement is misleading and was lifted from some article written by some college kid talking about WAR. It doesn't really have any credibility; I'm not even sure what the original point was. Anyway, there is nothing official about that claim.

Secondly, there are different formulas for calculating WAR, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you've studied science or mathematics beyond the high school level, you would know that there are often various different empirical formulas used to approximate a certain quantity. They weigh different factors and produce different numbers in the end, but they are still roughly equivalent. It probably sounds "funny" to you because you have zero clue as to what goes into a WAR calculation and how the different formulas actually differ.

You know what that great old protest song says. " WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!"

You must be the first person to think of that one. Nice.

Every douche who repeats that line probably thinks he's being really witty too.

Oh, dear! If I had known it would be judged by the extraordinarily clever and witty standards of the penguin, I would never have posted it!

The entire flower-child/hippy/pacifist/leftist/'70s idea of war being good for "absolutely nothing" has always been ridiculous. WWII, for one example. Charles "The Hammer" Martel's victory at Tours in 732 for another. I could go on.

The value of WAR is another matter entirely, and the "joke" isn't even funny. It's not even particularly clever.

Do the FO and our coaches value or attribute much significance to WAR and other advanced stats?

I have no idea, but I'll guess that it gets discussed a lot. After all, they're competing with some people who do.

Thinking a little further about who values advanced stats, consider this.

A bunch of old-guard seat-of-the-pants guys, I'll call them SOTPs, could game a "Money Ball" team's guys, call them MBs.

The SOTPs, applying MB principles, could approximately decipher who the MBs would likely want and value versus those they would not want or value. The SOTPs, in their infinite SOTP wisdom could concoct a trade offer to the MBs that would gain the SOTPs a player or players they think will be great that the MBs don't want in return for some guys who they think will suck, but the MBs will value highly. Everyone will think they won, which is the essence of making a trade happen.

Has it ever happened? Probably more than once. Did it work? Who knows?

Probably doesn't operate very well in the other direction, as the MBs don't necessarily know what the SOTPs' various opinions are. Not that the SOTPs know exactly what the MBs think, but they have a much more exact idea.

If Loria, et al don't value advanced stats, I hope they have at least one guy around who at understands them and what other teams will make of them.