Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Featured Replies

No because he'll become brain dead if we do

 

"Marlins trade three chairs and two dozen bags of peanuts for Dombrowski. Amazing steal for Marlins."

 

[Three years later]

 

"The seats the Marlins traded have had the most home runs hit to them since, and those bags of peanuts were available at the time of the Tigers three straight titles. Dombrowski sold Stanton to a Ugandan Warlord."

 

 

"Marlins trade three chairs and two dozen bags of peanuts for Dombrowski. Amazing steal for Marlins."

 

[Three years later]

 

"The seats the Marlins traded have had the most home runs hit to them since, and those bags of peanuts were available at the time of the Tigers three straight titles. Dombrowski sold Stanton to a Ugandan Warlord."

 

Am I the only who pictured Stanton being sold to Kamala as a member of the Powers of Pain?

 

 

does Daniel Murphy interest anyone?

 

 

No. I think unless they go big (Betts, S. Castro, etc.) with a very long term young stud acquired for Heaney and other parts, you stick with Kike/Dietrich and see what happens. Seems kind of foolish to me to get a slightly above average starter (11th WAR 2B in 2014) for that kind of money and trade assets, who probably prices himself off the team in a few years. They need to build with Stanton, not make "go for it" trades which is what a Murphy acquisition is.

 

Say what we will about the infield, if there is any longterm hope it's at 2B - Hernandez, Dietrich, Barnes, Romero. Hernandez was pretty good last year with a very low BABIP. Sample size issues for sure, but I'm not mad if these guys end up being the starters. I think a much bigger black hole is 1B (and then 3B as McGehee is gone in a year even if he is good in 2015, which isn't a guarantee). They have to address the corners longterm immediately. I imagine a Cishek/SP trade is coming soon for a young corner guy.

 

 

No. I think unless they go big (Betts, S. Castro, etc.) with a very long term young stud acquired for Heaney and other parts, you stick with Kike/Dietrich and see what happens. Seems kind of foolish to me to get a slightly above average starter (11th WAR 2B in 2014) for that kind of money and trade assets, who probably prices himself off the team in a few years. They need to build with Stanton, not make "go for it" trades which is what a Murphy acquisition is.

 

Say what we will about the infield, if there is any longterm hope it's at 2B - Hernandez, Dietrich, Barnes, Romero. Hernandez was pretty good last year with a very low BABIP. Sample size issues for sure, but I'm not mad if these guys end up being the starters. I think a much bigger black hole is 1B (and then 3B as McGehee is gone in a year even if he is good in 2015, which isn't a guarantee). They have to address the corners longterm immediately. I imagine a Cishek/SP trade is coming soon for a young corner guy.

 

 

Murphy would make a pretty good first baseman... I'd love to acquire him if that was his role. He's gonna move there at some point anyway, and it won't be in NY.

I don't want a 1B with a .289/.332/.403 slash. Which is nearly identical to Garret Jones .246/.309/.411 slash when it comes down to it.

 

Jones had a .2 WAR. Murphy at 1B resembles Loney at absolute best, which is likely a 1-1.5 WARish player. Murphy is valuable because of his position. Let's not get crazy.

 

 

Murphy would make a pretty good first baseman... I'd love to acquire him if that was his role. He's gonna move there at some point anyway, and it won't be in NY.

 

I quoted this originally to go against it, but after looking a little bit into it, this wouldn't be a bad idea. He was a .290 hitter this past season, has been for the last three, could be decent right behind Yelich [i'm usually against the back to back lefties in a lineup thing, but Murphy has a .274 average career against LHP]. In front of Stanton, could probably be a .310 hitter, not out of the realm of possibilities considering he hit .320 in 2011 [109 games].

 

Would require a trade, though, wouldn't it? Baseball-Reference has him as 3rd year arb eligible this coming season. That's my only issue, and I think the Mets have a high value on him, plus trading within division, they'd probably ask for Heaney or something.

 

 

I don't want a 1B with a .289/.332/.403 slash. Which is nearly identical to Garret Jones .246/.309/.411 slash when it comes down to it.

 

Jones had a .2 WAR. Murphy at 1B resembles Loney at absolute best, which is likely a 1-1.5 WARish player. Murphy is valuable because of his position. Let's not get crazy.

 

We're talking a few runs saved, as well, because Murphy is much better than Jones defensively. In front of Stanton, getting better pitches, could be a 2 WAR guy.

 

 

I don't want a 1B with a .289/.332/.403 slash. Which is nearly identical to Garret Jones .246/.309/.411 slash when it comes down to it.

 

Jones had a .2 WAR. Murphy at 1B resembles Loney at absolute best, which is likely a 1-1.5 WARish player. Murphy is valuable because of his position. Let's not get crazy.

 

 

 

He's a better option than most of the crap we're talking about. I'd rather have Bour start than most of the shit left on the market. It's pretty obvious that the FO covets a left-handed bat at 1B, hence the lack of interest in Morse. Which makes sense considering we still have Baker next year and we will have Lucas beyond that who can partner up with a lefty.

It would require a trade and then Murphy will get 8+ mil in final arb year. FA in 2016. I don't think it would cost much in terms of players though.

 

I know I was the one who brought him up but I'd rather give Dietrich/Kike the 2b and see how that goes. I just have this bad feeling the front office isn't going to give Dietrich the opportunity and Kike will rot on the bench. Hopefully I'm wrong.

 

As for Murphy as 1b/3b option, eh... Does a little bit of everything except not much power. Improvement over Casey but then Casey is cheap too.

 

I just like Murphy because he's from Jax. Good reason.

 

 

Marginal improvement over Casey but then Casey is cheap.

 

 

Casey isn't cheap. I heard he picked up the tab when the team went out to celebrate Hech being a Gold Glove Finalist. I believe they went to Versailles.

 

 

It would require a trade and then Murphy will get 8+ mil in final arb year. FA in 2016. I don't think it would cost much in terms of players though.

 

I know I brought it up but I'd rather give Dietrich/Kike the 2b and see how that goes. I just have this feeling the front office isn't going to give Dietrich the opportunity and Kike will rot on the bench. Hopefully I'm wrong.

 

As for a 1b/3b option, eh... gets on base decent but not much power. Marginal improvement over Casey but then Casey is cheap.

 

I just like him because he's from Jax.

 

 

 

The problem is the Mets are probably going to be good next year, and they know that. What's their reason to trade him? Especially within the division to the other up and coming team.

He's a better option than most of the crap we're talking about. I'd rather have Bour start than most of the shit left on the market. It's pretty obvious that the FO covets a left-handed bat at 1B, hence the lack of interest in Morse. Which makes sense considering we still have Baker next year and we will have Lucas beyond that who can partner up with a lefty.

 

who is Lucas.

 

 

Wow, totally forgot about that! It happened so quickly after the WS it just slipped my mind lol.

 

So what I meant was Baker this year and Mark Canha in the future. Yea, that's it.

I don't want a 1B with a .289/.332/.403 slash. Which is nearly identical to Garret Jones .246/.309/.411 slash when it comes down to it.

 

Jones had a .2 WAR. Murphy at 1B resembles Loney at absolute best, which is likely a 1-1.5 WARish player. Murphy is valuable because of his position. Let's not get crazy.

 

 

 

I gotta ask man, how fuck is a .290 average compared to a .250 average almost equal?

Casey isn't cheap. I heard he picked up the tab when the team went out to celebrate Hech being a Gold Glove Finalist. I believe they went to Versailles.

 

 

 

Not. Sure. If. Serious.

They need to get a longterm 1B. It's not Murphy. It's not Canha. It's not coming in FA this season. Next year's free agency is pretty terrible - 33-35 year old E5, Napoli, Morneau, and a 30 year old Chris Davis, all who will likely be over paid and short term fix at best.

 

They really need to get someone like CJ Cron (angels) or Vogelbach (cubs) who are blocked at their positions for the most part, and both of those teams could use pitching which the Marlins can trade in some capacity. Then, do a 1 year thing with Garret Jones/some other veteran, and hope those guys develop.

 

Short term, the better idea is probably to play McGehee at 1B and get someone better than "Garret Jones" to play 3B, as there is likely a better cheaper 3B out there (like Valbuena on the Cubs...). Or sign Headley for 3-4 years which fixes a ton of problems.

 

 

I gotta ask man, how fuck is a .290 average compared to a .250 average almost equal?

 

 

Look at the slash, Murphy has some OBP, and that's it. And I did say he's probably 1 WAR worth more at 1B, it's just the bar is slow low that doesn't matter compared to the trade acquisition cost and his salary.

 

If you get Murphy, you play him at 2B. It's that simple

 

 

Look at the slash, Murphy has some OBP, and that's it. And I did say he's probably 1 WAR worth more at 1B, it's just the bar is slow low that doesn't matter compared to the trade acquisition cost and his salary.

 

If you get Murphy, you play him at 2B. It's that simple

 

 

 

Murphy I think can be a solid 2b for 3-4 more years, we just need it average at this point.

Murphy I think can be a solid 2b for 3-4 more years, we just need it average at this point.

 

 

And is that better paying him $40 million those 4 years and trading Heaney, versus having Kike, Dietrich, Barnes, Romero, and Heaney and that $40 million.

 

This one is a no brainer.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.