Marlins Sale Rumors

But this can be interpreted in many ways because aren't the Marlins 17th in payroll this year? The Marlins do spend enough to "run a team properly." The owners can't complain too much about having to support the team when their are 13 teams with a lower payroll. 

True...but also the other owners aren't dumb.  They know Loria and what he is all about.  They also know that he's only spending what he is this year because the team is for sale...that hasn't been a secret.  

Jeb Bush isn't the money behind the deal, so his net worth is irrelevant.  I don't believe that MLB would allow another ownership group here that isn't prepared to spend what is necessary to run a team properly.  Manfred has said as much. The other owners don't want to be supporting this franchise any more.     

Bush's net worth is relevant. If it weren't, any schlub with enough connections could purchase a team. His net worth is very relevant. If Bush isn't a majority shareholder, it's not really his team. May the majority shareholder lets him be CEO of the team, but it won't be Bush's team. I don't think low energy Jeb is going through all of this work to be a bitch of the team. Time will tell, but I still think Jeb pulls this off. Just don't expect a change in financial strategy that involves spending money. 

There are minimums to franchise ownership, and my guess is that Bush comes in right at the minimum. Hopefully this is info that gets released after the purchase. 

The new ownership group isn't going to fire sale. Get real people.

Jeb won't spend big because he can't spend big. He's likely going to limp into franchise ownership. This isn't Robert Kraft buying the team. It's low energy Jeb Bush. Dude is worth less than 22 million bucks. If he wants to win, it's going to be in a style closer to Loria's than ownerships with money.

Basically, get ready for Loria 2.0. Likely an improvement over the worst owner in all of sports, but not enough to get anyone panties wet. 

This sounds right to me. But I'm optimistic it will be a slight upgrade because I think that Loria's meddling was the main reason why this team sucked so badly from 2004-2017 and less because of his cheapness.

Obviously money helps, but if Loria weren't such an overbearing control freak with a backwards baseball philosophy (refusing to adopt analytics and not firing people like Beinfest/Hill soon enough) the Marlins would have made the playoffs over that stretch despite the low payrolls.

Loria is so bad that I'm willing to accept low payrolls/cheapness as long as competent baseball people are calling the shots instead of Loria and Hill.

But who knows, maybe Jeter will control all of that and be a total disaster.

This sounds right to me. But I'm optimistic it will be a slight upgrade because I think that Loria's meddling was the main reason why this team sucked so badly from 2004-2017 and less because of his cheapness.

Obviously money helps, but if Loria weren't such an overbearing control freak with a backwards baseball philosophy (refusing to adopt analytics and not firing people like Beinfest/Hill soon enough) the Marlins would have made the playoffs over that stretch despite the low payrolls.

Loria is so bad that I'm willing to accept low payrolls/cheapness as long as competent baseball people are calling the shots instead of Loria and Hill.

But who knows, maybe Jeter will control all of that and be a total disaster.

We're getting way ahead of ourselves but let's speculate because it's fun.

I think you said somewhere that Jeter is the poster child for ignoring metrics. Let's hope that he's known all along how overrated he was statistically, and doesn't try to build a team of Jeters. Because broke Bush and intangibles Jeter combine into a slightly darker, sexier version of Loria. 

I think you said somewhere that Jeter is the poster child for ignoring metrics. Let's hope that he's known all along how overrated he was statistically, and doesn't try to build a team of Jeters. Because broke Bush and intangibles Jeter combine into a slightly darker, sexier version of Loria. 

I think someone else said that about Jeter and metrics. But I agree there's a lot unknown about him. I can't imagine him being any more stubborn than Loria is, especially when his way clearly isn't working.

The one thing about Loria is that he loves to fire managers at the drop of a hat, but at the same time he kept with Beinfest and Hill in their GM positions much much longer than they should have been. Not sure why he treated GMs so differently. For how bad the team performed over 2004-2017, I feel like he should have had more people besides Beinfest and Hill calling the shots.

The one thing about Loria is that he loves to fire managers at the drop of a hat, but at the same time he kept with Beinfest and Hill in their GM positions much much longer than they should have been. Not sure why he treated GMs so differently. For how bad the team performed over 2004-2017, I feel like he should have had more people besides Beinfest and Hill calling the shots.

Just my hunch, the GMs are HIS people working alongside HIM in HIS front office. They are an extension of him as the boss. If they get fired it means they suck and he sucks so he keeps them because he doesn't want to admit failure. Firing the field managers and coaches and trading away players and having fire sales is easier and is his preferred method because it's his way of putting the blame on the on-field personnel, which, in his eyes, is not a reflection of him. I gotta think it's something like that. 

Just my hunch, the GMs are HIS people working alongside HIM in HIS front office. They are an extension of him as the boss. If they get fired it means they suck and he sucks so he keeps them because he doesn't want to admit failure. Firing the field managers and coaches and trading away players and having fire sales is easier and is his preferred method because it's his way of putting the blame on the on-field personnel, which, in his eyes, is not a reflection of him. I gotta think it's something like that. 

I suppose that's true. I was wondering if he could use Mike Hill and Beinfest as scapegoats though, but maybe that's what the managers were for.

But all of this basically proves how half-hearted Loria's desire to win was. In the end it seemed to be mostly about his own vanity.

I suppose that's true. I was wondering if he could use Mike Hill and Beinfest as scapegoats though, but maybe that's what the managers were for.

But all of this basically proves how half-hearted Loria's desire to win was. In the end it seemed to be mostly about his own vanity.

I don't see it this way. I see it as someone who desperately wanted to win, but lacked the patience and ability to put together a vision to increase the chance of winning. I'd apply that to almost all of Loria's bigger decisions including signings for 2012. 

The guy flat out loves baseball. He wants and wanted to win. He goes to a ton of games and gets visibly upset at losses. I don't doubt his desire to win at all. I doubt his ability to lead an organization to win. 

The guy flat out loves baseball. He wants and wanted to win. He goes to a ton of games and gets visibly upset at losses. I don't doubt his desire to win at all. I doubt his ability to lead an organization to win.

Great line. I've also heard this multiple times from players, journalists, and others in the game who know him personally. 

NY Post

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Derek Jeter could soon face a deep-pocketed roadblock in his bid to buy the Miami Marlins, The Post has learned.

Billionaire Charles Dean Metropoulos, whose buyout firm controls Hostess Brands, the maker of Twinkies, is interested in making an offer for the money-losing MLB team, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

People forget that Loria had a lot of loyalty to Beinfest. Beinfest had been with Loria since he owned the Expos. Beinfest was also clearly a 'company man' who was willing to do the unpopular stuff that Loria demanded. If I recall when Beinfest was fired it was partially because he was falling out of favor with Loria and had opposed some of Loria's decisions. Meanwhile Hill sided with Loria and basically took Beinfest's job.

I would just like to have an owner who does not take everything so personally and puts his personal feelings over what is best for the team. We saw what happened when he fired Girardi for having the gall to argue with him.

It's also important to note that every time Loria decided to open up his checkbook, it was never in a smart way (see Saltalamacchia, John Buck, Heath Bell, etc.). He has also emphasized success now over long-term stability. Look at where this farm system is. They have refused to spend on the draft or internationally and now we have the worst farm system in the game. They also traded away most of the guys that they did draft.

If he builds a team of Jeters, that would be great actually. Not sure what Jeter you saw, but he was a lot more than an "intangibles" guy.