Marlins Sale Rumors

I think it's misleading to say that Loria subscribes to the belief that there is "no correlation between salaries and winning." This is the dude who threw a bunch of money together for a lousy team in 2012 and during this past offseason wanted to squander $100 million on a closer they didn't need.

Overall Loria is cheap, but sometimes he likes to spend. But usually when he does spend, it's a waste.

Yeah this won't go over well with the casual fans

I still it, but I'm not looking forward to another 15 years of people bashing my team being cheap. I liked the Reyes/JJ/Buerhle trade - I think immediately but definitely with hindsight after a winter to stew it over and their careers, but try explaining that to someone the people here. 

Its like explaining to someone what a hanging chad is and ruining their erection, but just moving in to getting a chubby from a pregnant chad. 

Right. Jeb said he doesn't plan to go big in FA. It doesn't mean he won't retain his current guys.

I think it means he's going to identify what they have and make moves, cutting payroll but extending others. 

Like how everyone turns in a resignation letter at the start of a new presidency, but only some are accepted and others are key aboard. 

I interpreted Bush's comments as that the Marlins are going to have to be run smarter and build a team that can be good long term....and I agree.  Throwing money around doesn't fix everything.  For long term success, they need to fix their minor league system and that takes patience.  I'm all for investing money into the draft and International markets first before going and handing out big contracts to Free Agents.  I don't think the Marlins need a total tear down like the Astros did after they changed owners, but they do need to change how they operate...which under Loria is basically do whatever the owner decides when he wakes up that day.  

Same. But the casual fans will just see the headlines and think Loria 2.0

True.  Although I would hope that people will wait for a sale to actually take place before making a judgement on any ownership group.  

Also, I would like to believe that,  1. someone with the pristine image of Jeter isn't going to be associated with an ownership group that will be perceived as "cheap" and, 2. I believe that Manfred won't allow this team to be sold to a group that doesn't intend to operate like a real MLB franchise.  This market is too important to the game.