Marlins Sale Rumors

Actually I'm surprised Girardi hasn't been on the chopping block as the Yankees haven't done much in a while.  The sons are not a chip off the old George.  Usually the coach is the sacrificial lamb.  They spend a lot on salaries but lately it hasn't got them squat.

Because the Yankees haven't truly tried to win for 3 years??

It's not done deal. Bush/Jeter "won" the bidding process but all that means is now the marlins and bush/jeter will start negotiating exclusively with each other. There might be a penalty involved if bush/jeter walk away, but I doubt they would expose themselves to that, especially considering how few "bidders" there actually were.

My guess is that bush/jeter need to raise more capital, and that's what they're doing right now. They obviously have extensive networks between the two of them, and they likely will find the money to buy the team, or they will get the money from a private equity group or bring in another parter. Who knows, but they cannot afford the team without outside investment. 

This brings up another potential problem depending on what the financials look like. Will they have a different financial approach to running the club than Loria did? It's really impossible to tell. It's not hard to be better owners than literally the worst owner in sports, but it doesn't mean they will invest more $ into the team. They might be better in terms of building an organization and not being the laughing stock of baseball, but if the don't have the money, don't expect a spending spree. At the end of the day, this is a business and they will have to answer to their creditors. Time will tell. 

I doubt they could have provided a bid without showing the security/equity needed to fund the actual bid they were placing. Think of it as a "pre-approval" letter. You're correct though as now this does transition into the closing stages. Negotiation of the fine details and language but purchase price, that's done maybe a small tick up or down.

I doubt they could have provided a bid without showing the security/equity needed to fund the actual bid they were placing. Think of it as a "pre-approval" letter. You're correct though as now this does transition into the closing stages. Negotiation of the fine details and language but purchase price, that's done maybe a small tick up or down.

The bid process isn't as formal as it seems. It followed whatever format Loria wanted to create. I could literally be a one page letter of intent. Who knows. From different reports, there were really only two "bidders" and Loria has control over the selection. MLB rules and regulations regarding the sale of a team doesn't apply to the teams bidding process. You bring up a good point though regarding proof of funds or at least equity. Because Bush/Jeter don't really have it, Loria probably did include a penalty if an agreement takes too long to finalize or falls through. Who knows. I would. 

Now is when the ownership group is going to need to show proof of funds and get the approval from MLB owners to purchase. They have a long road ahead of them, because all of the reports show they need to raise a lot of money. My guess is that a Bush connection to some financial group will be used and they'll buy the team. 

If the new ownership is smart they start spending money from the bottom up.  They have to replenish the farm system and they really need to invest money into international free agents.  I think the new scouting and analytics department will do a much better job with the draft going forward but spending some money on the international front will speed the process up.

They also have to get a naming rights deal for the stadium and a new TV contract.  That's more of the business side of things but those are two very important sources of revenue.  Especially the TV deal.

After that they will have to cut some fat from the payroll namely Wei Yin Chen.  They are pretty much stuck (contract wise) Stanton unless he opts out.  No one wants to see him go as he is the face of the franchise and they don't want to start off with a fire sale.  Hopefully Stanton will play up to his ceiling and his contract will be a moot point for them.

The other large contracts are Yelich, Prado, and Dee Gordon.  Yelich is a bargain so there isn't an issue there.  Prado will only have two years left after this one so it's not too long of a commitment.  Let's hope he ages well and continues his production from last year.  Dee is the wild card.  If he is close to the Dee Gordon of 2015 then his contract isn't a big deal either.  If he's closer to 2016 Gordon, then they will have to unload that contract ASAP.

Ozuna is another interesting case.  They either have to lock him at an affordable rate or trade him and try to get a couple of pieces back for the farm system.  It will all come down to the type season he ends up having this year.  They also need to extend J T and probably Conley.  

There's a lot of work to be done by the new ownership but a least they will have a nice young core of position players to work with.  I think the future could be bright if they play their cards right.  

That would be terrible. I hate the why girardi manages the Yankees pitchers. I still blame him for the injury to Johnson as well as his decision to put Nolasco and Johnson in the bullpen to start the year when they were the most talented of the group. 

JJ's injury was definitely Girardi's fault. I was at that game and couldn't believe he was letting him go back out. 

They only play the Cardinals like 6 times a year, I wouldn't say their future hinges on those two series at all. 

You know, as I was typing that I thought to myself, [uSER=2328]@SilverBullet1929[/uSER] is going to take it literally make a comment about the Cardinals.  LOL

Why are some people so excited that we got owners with no money?.Were gonna be worse off with Jeter/Bush and Payroll will drop.

There's a group of investors joining Jeter and Bush and they are likely the most wealthy. Jeb will be managing partner but not necessarily due to having the largest stake.  They aren't spending every cent they have buying the team.  Apparently you know who the other investors are?

As long as Loria remains in charge, the Marlins can continue to operate as they would normally, but only up to a point. If they’re in contention at the Aug. 1 trade deadline, they’ll still be able to make deals to help the club down the stretch.

But sources said that any trades, signings or contract extensions involving significant sums of money — once a prospective buyer is in place — would require approval from the commissioner’s office. And the buyer would also be consulted.

Contract extension discussions, like the one at the end of the last season when the Marlins and third baseman Martin Prado agreed to a three-year deal for $40 million, would likely not take place during a pending sale.

Miami Herald

@CoastieMike