Would you rather have a season like the Mets are having?

SilverBullet

2018 Marlins: Fire sale, tanking for a better future... what does it get them: fighting for last place in the division.

2018 Mets: Go for it, add pieces attempting to contend... what does it get them: fighting for last place in the division. 

Different paths to the same result... would you rather have done what the Mets did than what the Marlins did? 

2018 Marlins: Fire sale, tanking for a better future... what does it get them: fighting for last place in the division.

2018 Mets: Go for it, add pieces attempting to contend... what does it get them: fighting for last place in the division. 

Different paths to the same result... would you rather have done what the Mets did than what the Marlins did? 

Would rather focus on what are doing, and be positive going forward.  We have all made our criticisms if we were not fully on board, but damn, I am rooting for all the kids and still hope we keep veteran quality like Reamulto, without knee jerking to trade anyone of value.  Does Zeigler have value now that he is doing well in his new role? I will agree to his trade.

But yea, the Mets have no idea.  Look at the crap out there, Adrian Gonzales, in and gone, now they resurrect Bautista, rumors about DeGrom and Thor being shopped, Cespedes is a DL regular for years now.  According to spotrac they have $168 million in payroll costs, including $89 million on the DL.  https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/payroll/

Still, they sucking is not the standard to be compared against. 

Looking forward to Pablo tonight.

Marlins absolutely.

This is a rhetorical question right?

Maybe for you but I know too many people that wished we did what the Mets are doing now.

Or maybe a better question would have been to ask Mets fans if they would have rather they have done a teardown and a rebuild as well instead of going for it with half ass free agent signings. 

Definitely Mets

I second that!  Tanking should not be allowed.  It's bad for the game.  Attendance is down all over the league because many teams are tanking.  Also, if we would have kept our core together we wouldn't be as bad as the Mets are right now.  

I second that!  Tanking should not be allowed.  It's bad for the game.  Attendance is down all over the league because many teams are tanking.  Also, if we would have kept our core together we wouldn't be as bad as the Mets are right now.  

We would be, at best, a .500 team. Whoopty-doo.

If we "tank correctly" we won't be this bad for relatively long. If the Mets keep doing what they're doing every season they'll be bad every season. I'll take the path with more hope for the future. What do the Mets have to look forward to from here on out if they don't make big changes relatively soon? 

You must not be married if you think married couples agree on everything, that is what you're implying I assume.

I clearly asked when you were getting married because you seem very eager to please your soulmate.  If you didn't agree all the time I would have assumed you were either just another dude flying solo on here or had been married for quite some time. 

And since you asked.....

I've been with my woman since 2007 and married to the wench since 2013. I would've done it sooner had I known I get a lot more back during tax season filing jointly. 

We would be, at best, a .500 team. Whoopty-doo.

You can't be sure of that.  I would rather try and compete every season.  We could have rebuilt our farm system through the draft, IFA, and smaller trades.  We could walk and chew gum at the same time.  It might take a little longer but then we wouldn't have to go through all of this losing in the mean time.  That's just what I would prefer.  I can't ever except that a team decides not to compete before the season even starts.

You can't be sure of that.  I would rather try and compete every season.  We could have rebuilt our farm system through the draft, IFA, and smaller trades.  We could walk and chew gum at the same time.  It might take a little longer but then we wouldn't have to go through all of this losing in the mean time.  That's just what I would prefer.  I can't ever except that a team decides not to compete before the season even starts.

We can absolutely be sure of that, because guess what? That is EXACTLY what happened.

I'm not understanding your post.  What is that you are saying happened?

That the team spent the money and at times actually did draft well, but unfortunately traded any prospect that had any semblance of success in the minors for "proven veterans" at a shot at the playoffs.

.500. For sure. That's what would be happening this season, which is what the thread is asking about anyhow.

That the team spent the money and at times actually did draft well, but unfortunately traded any prospect that had any semblance of success in the minors for "proven veterans" at a shot at the playoffs.

.500. For sure. That's what would be happening this season, which is what the thread is asking about anyhow.

Yes, but the mistake was trading away our farm system (not that it was great to begin with) out of desperation.  When I said minor trades I meant not touching the core, but also not trading the farm system.  Like the Dee Gordon trade.  Dee wasn't part of the core, and he brought us back some decent prospects and could have been replaced at 2nd base by Deetz.  What the other FO did was atrocious.  This FO you would expect would be much better.  Anyway, I guess we can disagree.  I just won't ever accept that you have to tank in order to rebuild.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.