2020/21 off-season

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Eh, if you can go all fields, sure. If Beni started turning into a pure pull hitter, that may have affected a lot. Fenway is massive in right field.

I'd rather see a fundamental hitter.  50% of you games aren't at your home field (even though it works out really well the other 50% of the time if you play for Philly) 

I don't mean to keep saying Cubs players but Jose Quintana may fit the bill for a LH veteran that won't come very pricey. James Paxton would probably be too much. I do think we definitely need to add a veteran SP that can eat innings 

Sign:

Quintana

Bradley

Trade for:

Contreras

That'd be a very good offseason and one that wouldn't break the bank. Would love to get a RF as well

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Iowa said:

I don't mean to keep saying Cubs players but Jose Quintana may fit the bill for a LH veteran that won't come very pricey. James Paxton would probably be too much. I do think we definitely need to add a veteran SP that can eat innings 

Sign:

Quintana

Bradley

Trade for:

Contreras

That'd be a very good offseason and one that wouldn't break the bank. Would love to get a RF as well

Im good with Bradley and Contreras (at the right price) but I won’t feel that Quintana is necessary. I think the rotation of Sandy, Sixto, Pablo, Elieser, and Rodgers works until Edward comes up and inevitably replaces either Rodgers or Eliser. We would also need a genuine, everyday, major league outfielder. Cause none of our outfield options are anywhere near ready and RF was a black hole 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Im good with Bradley and Contreras (at the right price) but I won’t feel that Quintana is necessary. I think the rotation of Sandy, Sixto, Pablo, Elieser, and Rodgers works until Edward comes up and inevitably replaces either Rodgers or Eliser. We would also need a genuine, everyday, major league outfielder. Cause none of our outfield options are anywhere near ready and RF was a black hole 

Plus Mad Max.  They almost considered giving Meyer some MLB time and said he was near ready after the draft.

48 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Plus Mad Max.  They almost considered giving Meyer some MLB time and said he was near ready after the draft.

Yeah but I think he’s a September call up at earliest. He needs at least a full minor league season before I’m comfortable calling him up if I were the Marlins

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

If Brinson or Harrison could just break out, we could have an opportunistic lineup consisting on speed at the top and back of the lineup.  They both field there position at a high level.  Management should have developed them more fundamentally, cutting the swing in half with higher contact rates and getting BB.   We need to be aggressive once on base.  If we can lead the league again in SB then I don't think the outfield looks as bad as it does.  

Pitching and defense can make up for the rest. 

I agree completely with Quintana.  He has value but not in our deep rotation.  Him being LHP is a plus but still not worth it. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

If Brinson or Harrison could just break out, we could have an opportunistic lineup consisting on speed at the top and back of the lineup.  They both field there position at a high level.  Management should have developed them more fundamentally, cutting the swing in half with higher contact rates and getting BB.   We need to be aggressive once on base.  If we can lead the league again in SB then I don't think the outfield looks as bad as it does.  

Pitching and defense can make up for the rest. 

I agree completely with Quintana.  He has value but not in our deep rotation.  Him being LHP is a plus but still not worth it. 

I agree, those two are such a big X factor for the team right now. Imagine both of them had actually come up and produced the way they were expected to in the minors. We’d have a top 5 outfield for sure. There’s still time for Both so let’s see how it goes

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I agree, those two are such a big X factor for the team right now. Imagine both of them had actually come up and produced the way they were expected to in the minors. We’d have a top 5 outfield for sure. There’s still time for Both so let’s see how it goes

I am a lot more confident in Brinson than Harrison.  Brinson's issues seem mostly mental - he loses discipline.

Everything Harrison does on offense is ugly - the swing is atrocious, the approach is even worse, and discipline is even worse than that.

I truly feel like Brinson can turn a corner anytime.  I'm not nearly as confident in Harrison.

40 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I am a lot more confident in Brinson than Harrison.  Brinson's issues seem mostly mental - he loses discipline.

Everything Harrison does on offense is ugly - the swing is atrocious, the approach is even worse, and discipline is even worse than that.

I truly feel like Brinson can turn a corner anytime.  I'm not nearly as confident in Harrison.

That's probably true. Brinson has more upside.  Harrison though, if they just dumb it down for him, keep it simple and bat him in the 8th spot he could cause havoc on the bases.  

This is the danger when you start labeling prospects as having "5 tools". Just because a player shows signs of all those traits doesn't mean they are necessarily good at any of them.  Fundamentally, anything you're better at  in life should be focused on first, then the rest could fall into place.  Maybe developmentally, this was misunderstood because of the "5 tool" label.  

They need to get a fair chance.  IDK if anyone else noticed, but last year I could see they really wanted to be apart of something special.  

Mattingly IMO handled Brinson poorly last year.  Really hurt what improvement he did make. 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

That's probably true. Brinson has more upside.  Harrison though, if they just dumb it down for him, keep it simple and bat him in the 8th spot he could cause havoc on the bases.  

This is the danger when you start labeling prospects as having "5 tools". Just because a player shows signs of all those traits doesn't mean they are necessarily good at any of them.  Fundamentally, anything you're better at  in life should be focused on first, then the rest could fall into place.  Maybe developmentally, this was misunderstood because of the "5 tool" label.  

They need to get a fair chance.  IDK if anyone else noticed, but last year I could see they really wanted to be apart of something special.  

Mattingly IMO handled Brinson poorly last year.  Really hurt what improvement he did make. 

Agreed on all by the last point. Mattingly played Brinson exclusively against lefties, and Brinson excelled. As a reward, Brinson started getting more playing time against righties -- something we were all clamoring for -- and he began to struggle.

And ultimately, I think that early success / late struggle may have been a good thing. It showed Brinson, yes, he's making positive changes and capable of hitting MLB pitching. But it also showed him there's still room to grow. It gives him hope and keeps him hungry. I don't think Mattingly could have managed it any better.

Gosh, yer getting me excited for 2021!!!

• Haha 1

If Marlins can trade for Contreras and only have to give up prospects that are a long ways off (aka lotto tickts of sorts) thats a deal you do 10 times out of 10.  

Same with avoiding dealing your top 5 prospects as well, which given how the Cubs are operating this winter, should be doable.  

Not really sure what the end game with the Cubs is, but I hope they lose for 100 years as a result.

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

If Marlins can trade for Contreras and only have to give up prospects that are a long ways off (aka lotto tickts of sorts) thats a deal you do 10 times out of 10.  

Same with avoiding dealing your top 5 prospects as well, which given how the Cubs are operating this winter, should be doable.  

Not really sure what the end game with the Cubs is, but I hope they lose for 100 years as a result.

What is it folks say? If it sounds too good to be true, it is?

With all due respect to Darvish and his final 3 years of team control, he and his $60M contact are a whole different bucket of worms from Contreras. I don't see a deal happening without a big prospect going to Chicago, so I don't see a deal happening at all.

Sorry y'all. 😟

1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

What is it folks say? If it sounds too good to be true, it is?

With all due respect to Darvish and his final 3 years of team control, he and his $60M contact are a whole different bucket of worms from Contreras. I don't see a deal happening without a big prospect going to Chicago, so I don't see a deal happening at all.

Sorry y'all. 😟

That big prospect could end up being Yiddi Cappe or Jose Salas, who are both a few years off.

Not the worst thing ever.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I agree with all of this 100%