2020/21 off-season

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Ya know ... that's probably not a terrible idea.

If we ever used Stanek as an Opener, Elieser would have been the perfect bulk guy after him to get us through 7 or maybe 8.

He'd be perfect for closer.  He could also get you more than just 3 outs when needed.

1 hour ago, Major-Minor said:

Interesting take. So then this is almost PR to help keep the payroll low and in turn keep them more lucrative? Or are you saying this is same outside narrative that has always been built around the team?

Not questioning - just interested in your opinion.

I know you ain't asking me, but I'll toss my pair of pennies your way: In a few days, I believe the Marlins will be officially signing Yiddi Cappe, the top or near-top international prospect this cycle. They have drafted aggressively and maxed out their signing bonuses every year, save 2020 where I think they stayed just beneath the overage tax. I also believe they were one of the last teams to furlough their employees, and one of the first to un-furlough them (can't remember where I heard that; Mish?). They also didn't make huge cuts to player development and scouting like a number of other teams did in 2020.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Big payrolls are nice, but they don't mean you're spending like you should. The Phillies have a big payroll, but they also just made big cuts in their analytics and I believe scouting departments. And meanwhile, their farm system is pretty slim, even before trading Sixto and company.

It takes more than payroll to be successful. And sometimes that means your budget has to go into unseen parts of the game. And frankly, given their market size and attendance history, it's easy to imagine the Marlins had much less wiggle room financially than most other teams as a result of no fans. Folks joke about how there wasn't a difference for the Marlins, but in my experience, for the poor folks, every dollar matters even more.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Major-Minor said:

Interesting take. So then this is almost PR to help keep the payroll low and in turn keep them more lucrative? Or are you saying this is same outside narrative that has always been built around the team?

Not questioning - just interested in your opinion.

Actually it could be the opposite.  Keeping the payroll low could incite more poverty and stunt a team's success for years.  It may also hinder the ability to maximize the capacity for a faster transition from a market standpoint or/and competitive team.  If Loria still owned the team, they would present the narrative that baseball can not thrive in Miami just like they did with Florida. 

Im not saying teams who don't spend are doomed or teams who do will succeed either.  I just don't think we should believe we are under the narrative that we can't spend.  It's a business altogether and each owner has a perception on how to manage it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I know you ain't asking me, but I'll toss my pair of pennies your way: In a few days, I believe the Marlins will be officially signing Yiddi Cappe, the top or near-top international prospect this cycle. They have drafted aggressively and maxed out their signing bonuses every year, save 2020 where I think they stayed just beneath the overage tax. I also believe they were one of the last teams to furlough their employees, and one of the first to un-furlough them (can't remember where I heard that; Mish?). They also didn't make huge cuts to player development and scouting like a number of other teams did in 2020.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: Big payrolls are nice, but they don't mean you're spending like you should. The Phillies have a big payroll, but they also just made big cuts in their analytics and I believe scouting departments. And meanwhile, their farm system is pretty slim, even before trading Sixto and company.

It takes more than payroll to be successful. And sometimes that means your budget has to go into unseen parts of the game. And frankly, given their market size and attendance history, it's easy to imagine the Marlins had much less wiggle room financially than most other teams as a result of no fans. Folks joke about how there wasn't a difference for the Marlins, but in my experience, for the poor folks, every dollar matters even more.

The Marlins (and other small market clubs) lost out on revenue sharing for 2020, so they were definitely hurt financially vs. a normal season.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

While Benintendi is still young and is club controlled I feel like the Sox would be selling low on him now, his best years were a few years back and he's been questionable since then, looking like he could even be declining. So why are people still acting like his price tag would be so high? Or am I the one who is looking at this wrong?

I'd rather just go to free agency for an OF, and wait on Bleday, rather than trade rotation pieces & prospects for a "?".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

No - I appreciate the input.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The Marlins (and other small market clubs) lost out on revenue sharing for 2020, so they were definitely hurt financially vs. a normal season.

I think Frisaro said recently that this and the failure to secure a TV deal really put the squeeze on them in the short term.

• Like 1

I believe all of us were much more excited for the deal of Contreras to happen than the Benintendi ones, but we also need to aware of the much more return it needed, I believe the team would be much more willing to part ways with top prospects for Contreras than Benintendi, you could easily find a RF you need in the FA market but for the catcher it's a  different story, just hope this front office doing their best to make this happen, so it's Contreras, a closer and a RF and call it a off-season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I believe all of us were much more excited for the deal of Contreras to happen than the Benintendi ones, but we also need to aware of the much more return it needed, I believe the team would be much more willing to part ways with top prospects for Contreras than Benintendi, you could easily find a RF you need in the FA market but for the catcher it's a  different story, just hope this front office doing their best to make this happen, so it's Contreras, a closer and a RF and call it a off-season. 

I'm also content with Yimi as the closer, but go find another 8th inning guy, plus some depth.  That would be fine too, and it would save a few $.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I'm also content with Yimi as the closer, but go find another 8th inning guy, plus some depth.  That would be fine too, and it would save a few $.

Everybody think the relief pitcher be the most inconsistent and most unpredictable position in the baseball and not every good relief pitcher would pitch the same good in the role of closer, so if Yimi didn't work then would means lots of losses to come even a blown save not means a loss…

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I think we have the depth.  Rogers, Neidert, Cabrera, Castano, Garrett, Guzman and Vesia. Plus all the other impactful arms like Hoyt, Yimi and Bleier. 

I like Rogers as a SP but he may need some more development out of the pen. The starting rotation is already stacked unless Elieser is traded, which I said before could happen based on last year.  Isan as well.

I still think we need a closer. Yimi could close but if that goes bad it's going to backfire badly, because it was so glaring to see. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 2

Marlins are serious  in their pursuit of a trade for Wilson Contreras

and they are out on Benintendi ( Which I am very happy about since he hasn't been able to hit for like the last 3 years in a hitter friendly stadium)

There is still no word on what Contreras  would cost but I believe 2 pitching prospects would be a start

We have many arms to offer of which quite a few are close to major league ready

8 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Everybody think the relief pitcher be the most inconsistent and most unpredictable position in the baseball and not every good relief pitcher would pitch the same good in the role of closer, so if Yimi didn't work then would means lots of losses to come even a blown save not means a loss…

Yimi was better than Kintzler last season. If anyone is worth handing the closer spot to it's Yimi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwin Velez said:

and they are out on Benintendi ( Which I am very happy about since he hasn't been able to hit for like the last 3 years in a hitter friendly stadium)

Eh, if you can go all fields, sure. If Beni started turning into a pure pull hitter, that may have affected a lot. Fenway is massive in right field.