2020 Post-Season Thread

Honestly. I don't really like anyone on the FA market.

I want to see a full season of Harold, Jazz, and Sierra.

Put JP and Sierra and in an apartment together and teaching him a swinging bunt. Ew. It would be Castillo JP all over again.

A lineup of

Berti/Jazz 2B

Marte OF

Aguilar/Coop 1B

Rojas SS

BA 3B

HOT BAT/MATCHUP

HOT BAT/MATCHUP

CATCHER...Alf and Wallach

Sierra/Harold OF

Bench:

Diaz (2nd), Dickerson, Harrison, Sanchez?

As for catching...I just don't think you give up on Alf. While I would love to get a good ballplayer like McCann...it is on a career year...so expect an overpay. So then...if you HAVE to add to catcher you would check in on Leon or Castro who have better track records and have worked with more pitchers...but are they better than a ALF/Wallach tandem?

Also...dunno what to do about Brinson. It's still not there...its a little better...but why am I giving Monte more time? Because he is fast?

I feel like people are getting traded. I don't know how you don't trade players to sure up pitching? Unless you give up on Monte and Brinson...bury Sanchez and the Diaz's for the start of the season. Does that give you a better lineup?

Or maybe Jazz has to play for a roster spot and I am being too optimistic?

Ah! Alot to think about I guess...and it is concerning that there are SO many question marks...I think a lot has to break right to see us in contention next year.

Edited by Major-Minor

1 hour ago, Major-Minor said:

Put JP and Sierra and in an apartment together and teaching him a swinging bunt. Ew. It would be Castillo JP all over again.

A lineup of

Berti/Jazz 2B

Marte OF

Aguilar/Coop 1B

Rojas SS

BA 3B

HOT BAT/MATCHUP

HOT BAT/MATCHUP

Sierra/Harold OF

Bench:

As for catching...I just don't think you give up on Alf. While I would love to get a good ballplayer like McCann...it is on a career year...so expect an overpay. So then...if you HAVE to add to catcher you would check in on Leon or Castro who have better track records and have worked with more pitchers...but are they better than a ALF/Wallach tandem?

Also...dunno what to do about Brinson. It's still not there...its a little better...but why am I giving Monte more time? Because he is fast?

I feel like people are getting traded. I don't know how you don't trade players to sure up pitching? Unless you give up on Monte and Brinson...bury Sanchez and the Diaz's for the start of the season. Does that give you a better lineup?

Ah! Alot to think about I guess...and it is concerning that there are SO many question marks...I think a lot has to break right to see us in contention next year.

If this is how you’re thinking then move a package involving Sierra, Diaz, or Monte to Texas for Lance Lynn or a pitcher of similar pedigree? Add Michael Brantley and Joc Pederson on a prove it deal? I still think adding at least Matt Weiters needs to happen because Wallach isn’t a consistent hitter and Alfaro has now chemistry.

Lineup:

1. SS Miggy Ro

2. LF/RF Michael Brantley

3. CF Starling Marte

4. 1B Aguilar/Cooper

5. 3rd BA

6. DH/RF Joc Pederson

7. LF/RF Harold or Dickerson

8. C Alfaro/Weiters

9. 2nd Berti

Rotation

1. Alcantara

2. Lynn

3. Pablo/Garrett

4. Sixto

5. Rodgers

5 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

If this is how you’re thinking then move a package involving Sierra, Diaz, or Monte to Texas for Lance Lynn or a pitcher of similar pedigree? Add Michael Brantley and Joc Pederson on a prove it deal? I still think adding at least Matt Weiters needs to happen because Wallach isn’t a consistent hitter and Alfaro has now chemistry.

Lineup:

1. SS Miggy Ro

2. LF/RF Michael Brantley

3. CF Starling Marte

4. 1B Aguilar/Cooper

5. 3rd BA

6. DH/RF Joc Pederson

7. LF/RF Harold or Dickerson

8. C Alfaro/Weiters

9. 2nd Berti

Rotation

1. Alcantara

2. Lynn

3. Pablo/Garrett

4. Sixto

5. Rodgers

I don't think a combo of any of those guys would be enough to pry Lynn away. 

• Like 1
  • Banana 1

1 hour ago, Major-Minor said:

A lineup of

Berti/Jazz 2B

Marte OF

Aguilar/Coop 1B

Rojas SS

BA 3B

HOT BAT/MATCHUP

HOT BAT/MATCHUP

Sierra/Harold OF

Bench:

I wouldn’t limit Miami’s 2021 options behind the dish or other roster holes to who is available in free agency.

the marlins are absolutely loaded with valuable assets that can be easily flipped to help balance out the roster - Harold, Sierra, Brinson, Isan, Connor Scott, Misner, Jerar, Burdick, etc. 

This list doesn’t even include guys who will head into ‘21 on one year deals within a track record - Alfaro, Dickerson, Aguilar, Cooper

These guys aren’t all superstars, but neither are the guys we would be inquiring about. The marlins have an incredibly valuable ball of clay. They can mold this roster however they’d like without really changing the landscape of the farm system. 

Edited by marlins_09

2 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

I wouldn’t limit Miami’s 2021 options behind the dish or other roster holes to who is available in free agency.

the marlins are absolutely loaded with valuable assets that can be easily flipped to help balance out the roster - Harold, Sierra, Brinson, Isan, Connor Scott, Misner, Jerar, Burdick, etc. 

This list doesn’t even include guys who will head into ‘21 on one year deals within a track record - Alfaro, Dickerson, Aguilar, Cooper

These guys aren’t all superstars, but neither are the guys we would be inquiring about. The marlins have an incredibly valuable ball of clay. They can mold this roster however they’d like without really changing the landscape of the farm system. 

Completely fair. 

I am just not seeing where to go.

Just ride with the young guys. That was the whole point of all this right?

C - Alfaro (maybe FA idk)

1B - Diaz/Cooper/Aguilar

2B - Diaz/Berti

SS - Rojas

3B - Anderson

LF - Dickerson

CF - Marte

RF - Sanchez/Harrison

DH - Cooper/Aguilar

SP - Sandy, Pablo, Sixto, Cabrera, FA/Meyers

Spend money on RP if need be. If the prospects don't perform we're in trouble so I'd rather figure that out now. Jazz and Bleday full time mid year or 2022 at SS and LF.

Edited by EricOwens!
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

Just ride with the young guys. That was the whole point of all this right?

C - Alfaro (maybe FA idk)

1B - Diaz/Cooper/Aguilar

2B - Diaz/Berti

SS - Rojas

3B - Anderson

LF - Dickerson

CF - Marte

RF - Sanchez/Harrison

DH - Cooper/Aguilar

SP - Sandy, Pablo, Sixto, Cabrera, FA/Meyers

Spend money on RP if need be. If the prospects don't perform we're in trouble so I'd rather figure that out now. Jazz and Bleday full time mid year or 2022 at SS and LF.

Orrrrrrr we can take advantage of the ball club control we have on our pitching and win now instead of waiting and shorten the length of team everybody can be together.

Edited by ZfromCIS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Major-Minor said:

that would be one way to break a lease if they didn't have a ground level apartment

2 hours ago, Major-Minor said:

Completely fair. 

I am just not seeing where to go.

I read the Rays were trying to part away with a couple of their mid tier guys. Randy Arozarena probably makes Hunter Renfroe available who’s cheap and has 3 years of ball club control. Maybe Meadows? 

We could approach the Pirates about Jose Osuna or Polanco. Don’t think they move Bell or Moran.

The Rockies can look to move Trevor Story but he’ll hit FA next year

Obviously you have Francisco Lindor who’ll probably be unrealistic 

The Cubs are probably shopping Kris Bryant.

Orioles willing to budge on one of their young catchers? Cisco or Severino?

Couple of ways to go via trade. That Rays outfield situation is catching my eye trade wise though.

2 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

What happened to Meadows this year? I didn’t realize he had performed so poorly until I looked up his stats. 2019 was great; 2020 was 😩

Point I’m trying to make. Buy low and and sell high once club control is up. Or keep him...whatever Jeter wants. Same with Renfroe who’s probably cheaper prospect-wise to get.

Edited by ZfromCIS
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/marlins-recently-extended-michael-hill.html

Mike Hill's contract with the Marlins expired after this season, so where is the new deal !?

I believe Jeter see him as the helmsman of this rebuilding, but what's the reason he's not yet be extended ? the job offering from other teams ? should we worry to lose him ?

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/marlins-2020-key-offseason-questions

"Hill’s contract expires at the end of the month, and the organization was waiting until after the playoffs to address his future. Based on the advancements the Marlins made in 2020, it appears a new contract will be extended. However, until a deal is in place, you never know."

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 2:49 AM, jeffreysfishfry said:
On 10/9/2020 at 2:49 AM, jeffreysfishfry said:

JT didn't help much in Philly.  Kinda choked down the stretch, him and Harper.  

JT isn't  going to bring in a wide audience or bring in a new TV deal. Thats just glamour thinking.  Loria had that business idea in 2012 to, signing John Buck, Zambrano, Carlos Lee, Heath Bell, Reyes and Buerhie. But at seasons end our record was 69-93. 

We still are on the books to pay Stantons back loaded contract in the height of this teams era.  Add JT to that and you could have Chen problems real fast specially if he breaks down.  Buster Posey and Joe Mauer are prime examples. 

JT was an outside MVP candidate before he stumbled a bit. I don't put much stock in it.

I think there is a definite difference between JT and the others in that JT is the best player at his position and the others were not at the time. The 2012 team was a bit unbalanced, but you can't say that the moves didn't bring attention. Say what you will about inflating attendance numbers, but 2012 was the highest recorded attendance figure since 1997 and the 4th highest in franchise history (per game).

As for the Stanton contract, we are on the books for $30 M total. And that will be paid in $5 M installments 2 times a year starting in 2026. I seriously doubt that $10 M a year that far down the line is going to affect anything. Maybe JT will break down eventually, but the Marlins have to be in win now mode and right now JT is an excellent catcher on both ends of the baseball.

1 minute ago, taiwanmarlin said:

My off-season anxiety disorder was outbreak again, keep checking the network all the time about the Marlins news, Marlins sign who ? Marlins trade who ?…

You won't see any transactions from any team until after the World Series anyway

1 minute ago, taiwanmarlin said:

My off-season anxiety disorder was outbreak again, keep checking the network all the time about the Marlins news, Marlins sign who ? Marlins trade who ?…

Number 1, it's way too early. Things don't happen until after the world series. And number 2, no need to worry, just stay tuned to marlinsbaseball.com for all the latest offseason Marlins news and rumors! #marlinsbaseball.com #JuntosMiami #letsgofish #CheapJeter

• Like 2
  • Haha 3