All-star Game Moving

cyoung

5 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Georgia made it illegal to feed people who are stuck in late, waiting to vote. That's some fucking corrupt politicians.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Moving it to Miami isn't even a win, imo.

This just proves that media perception and crooked leadership still hold way too much influence, regarding how much they mislead everybody.

Unfortunately Manfred is going to get so wound up in divisive issues, it's going to be unwatchable, just like other sports are.

1 minute ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Georgia made it illegal to feed people who are stuck in late, waiting to vote. That's some fucking corrupt politicians.

Bro, I voted a month early.

There is no shortage of early voting precincts.  There is no excuse to not be able to get out to vote on time.

There is no excuse to not be able to prove who you are, in order to cast a vote.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Hey, you've been at work all day, and now you're standing in line.  I bet you're hungry - I'll give you a cheeseburger and a coke if you vote for "x" candidate.

Furthermore, do that in a poverty stricken area, where that might be the only meal they've had in a couple of days - it wouldn't be that hard to buy votes...

51 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Not to get into politics, but you haven't read it.

It says a voting official may not gift them food or drink to sway or solicit their vote.  The next line says they can have unattended self-service water available.  Just another example of the media skewing something.

No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any 1813 person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, 1814 or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and 1815 drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any 1816 person

.......The next line says:.......

This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing 1825 materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors 1826 or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely 1827 for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from 1828 making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in 1829 line to vote."

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It says a voting official may not gift them food or drink to sway or solicit their vote.  The next line says they can have unattended self-service water available.  Just another example of the media skewing something.

No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any 1813 person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, 1814 or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and 1815 drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any 1816 person

This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing 1825 materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors 1826 or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely 1827 for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from 1828 making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in 1829 line to vote."

Okay, now I've read it and I'm still seeing the same thing. It was always illegal to bribe people for their vote - in every state, it's illegal. That's not changing. But the wording here makes it impossible for even non-partisan groups to deliver food to persons waiting in line. The flimsy excuse is to prevent people from changing their votes, but that literally does not happen. There's no evidence of it - because it's illegal and always has been.

Setting up a table with water on it isn't going to mean a whole heckuva lot to folks who've missed dinner because they waited in line 5 hours to participate in democracy.

Edited by Photo-Realistic Billy
a word
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That's precisely my issue.  I don't hold @Photo-Realistic Billy responsible for the fact that he hasn't read it.  In theory, to the people in 49 other states, it shouldn't matter.  But influential "leaders" and media are you using misconstrued points to further an agenda, and feeding it to people that, in theory, it shouldn't matter to.

It was pretty evident reading Freddie Freeman's statements on it yesterday, he either wanted to steer clear of it, or he had no knowledgeable at all - or both.  Most of the players are children - regardless of age, they're children.  They went straight from high school or college, continued playing a game for a living, and managed to make a good living doing it. Most of them have never had to grow up in the real world, have a real job, with "normal-sized" paychecks, and still make it work.  All they can do is lean on the people who are supposed to represent them - those people are either uninformed themselves, or they're agenda-driven as well.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Okay, now I've read it and I'm still seeing the same thing. It was always illegal to bribe people for their vote - in every state, it's illegal. That's not changing. But the wording here makes it impossible for even non-partisan groups to deliver food to persons waiting in line. The flimsy excuse is to prevent people from changing their votes, but that literally does not happen. There's no evidence of it - because it's illegal and always has been.

Setting up a table with water on it isn't going to mean a whole heckuva lot to folks who've missed dinner because they waited in line 5 hours to participate in democracy.

There's also no evidence that people are starving to death because they had to vote.

In addition, there's also nothing stopping people from taking their own snacks to stand in line with.

Again, the opportunity was available to early vote for over a month before the election.  There are early voting precincts all over the place.  There is next to no excuse to not have ample time to vote.

I've never been in line for more than 20 minutes.  I honestly cannot wrap my mind around the argument that people don't have time, or that it's inaccessible. It's a pathetic attempt at an excuse.

If people have no way of getting to the polls, or their health, or work hours prevent them from doing so - fine.  Absentee ballots are available, you just have to prove who you are.  There is nothing outrageous or discriminatory about it.

This is all an agenda driven complaint and argument.

Your vote should be sacred - individuals should want securities around their vote & ability to vote, and proof that the vote being cast with their name is actually theirs.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

This might have been the version proposed for Florida, but didn't the bill state that it is only illegal within a 150 foot distance to the polling location. Wouldn't that mean that they could still give out food and drinks before that point. I mean people are bringing up waiting 5 hours, but the line is going to be a hell of a lot longer than 150 feet if it takes 5 hours to get to the location. That provision still seems silly to me though.

Edited by FishFan95

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

That's precisely my issue.  I don't hold @Photo-Realistic Billy responsible for the fact that he hasn't read it.  In theory, to the people in 49 other states, it shouldn't matter.  But influential "leaders" and media are you using misconstrued points to further an agenda, and feeding it to people that, in theory, it shouldn't matter to.

It was pretty evident reading Freddie Freeman's statements on it yesterday, he either wanted to steer clear of it, or he had no knowledgeable at all - or both.  Most of the players are children - regardless of age, they're children.  They went straight from high school or college, continued playing a game for a living, and managed to make a good living doing it. Most of them have never had to grow up in the real world, have a real job, with "normal-sized" paychecks, and still make it work.  All they can do is lean on the people who are supposed to represent them - those people are either uninformed themselves, or they're agenda-driven as well.

You're right, I should've left out the "you haven't read it part", as I actually looked it up right then.....but I had heard that the no food/drinks part wasn't actually true, so looked it up.

Regardless, overall both sides angle things in the media to their advantage, but seems these days like "journalists" these days purposely go with the first/most inflammatory snippet to get people riled up, and blatantly leave out half the story/context for the snippet.

To me, I don't get why verifying your identity to vote is controversial - as someone stated above, I'd want to know that my vote is counting for me.  Plus, ID is required for so many other things already, why shouldn't it be to vote?  Georgia lawmakers have also proposed making state-issued IDs free for all as well.

Anyway, relating it back to baseball/the all star game - I understand the argument that sports are influential blah blah.  But I'd rather MLB just stay out of politics altogether in regards to something like this.

• Like 2

i created a Twitter account just to give MLB some serious love for this decision. 

It's a good thing to see and it endears me to my favorite sport all that much more. Baseball is a business and you spend your dollars and rep your brand how you want to rep it.  Good for them for taking a stand by moving their money elsewhere.  I'll always have zero issue with players in any sport for speaking up and using their profile as a platform for things they believe in, because they have the ability to create real change versus some regular cheese sandwich eatin' schlub like myself. 

It's transparency and transparency is a good thing. 

So again, good for you MLB!  ❤️ spread the love!

• Like 2

Back to the game itself, it would be selfishly cool if the Marlins got this but it's been way too soon since we got the 2017 one, I would imagine some backlash if we got this one over 28 other cities, maybe over 26 others if we toss out DC and Cleveland. With that said, if u disregard the 2017 game the Marlins do deserve this quite a bit. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Back to the game itself, it would be selfishly cool if the Marlins got this but it's been way too soon since we got the 2017 one, I would imagine some backlash if we got this one over 28 other cities, maybe over 26 others if we toss out DC and Cleveland. With that said, if u disregard the 2017 game the Marlins do deserve this quite a bit. 

One thing to consider too, though, is with covid, there may be local limitations at certain parks that may eliminate them as potential ASG locations for this season.  Also, Rogers Centre is also out with the Canadian travel restrictions.  So you're already down to 26 potential cities before considering covid restrictions.

I'd be surprised if it happens in California with their lockdown measures - that's another 5 off the list too.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cyoung said:

Bro, I voted a month early.

There is no shortage of early voting precincts.  There is no excuse to not be able to get out to vote on time.

There is no excuse to not be able to prove who you are, in order to cast a vote.

They also took away days and hours to vote early in Georgia.  

They basically made it more difficult to vote in Georgia in the name of 'voter fraud' that has yet to be actually proven to be an issue. 

• Like 1

Making Sunday voting 'optional' and at the decision of local officials screams of doing all you can to prevent blacks from voting who have historically voted on Sunday early voting periods.  

You make early voting MANDATORY for x days, from x to x.  Not shorten windows, you make voting easier.

Voting should be done via the Internet anyway.  If you will trust the Internet to manage your finances then you can trust the Internet to vote.  

Its stupid.  Its idiotic.  

Its a way for the Republicans to try to hold onto power for as long as they can because of their radicalism and driving away so many people from population centers especially from their parties.  Because they have allow the fucking inmates to run the asylum and have forgotten about what actual true Republicans have always stood for.

On a side note, I find it rich that Republicans are crying about fiscal responsibility NOW, when they couldnt give two shits during the tax bill of 2017.   

They couldnt have a hearing for a Merrick Garland because it was an election year but ramroded Coney-Barret down peoples throats.

Fuck the GOP for the fucking hypocrites they are.  

Its what I"ve always said about the two parties.   The Democrats and Republicans will both try to assassinate you.

The Democrats do it like men from the front.  The Republicans do it like chicken shit pieces of shit and stab you in the back.

• Like 1
  • Banana 1

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Making Sunday voting 'optional' and at the decision of local officials screams of doing all you can to prevent blacks from voting who have historically voted on Sunday early voting periods.  

You make early voting MANDATORY for x days, from x to x.  Not shorten windows, you make voting easier.

Voting should be done via the Internet anyway.  If you will trust the Internet to manage your finances then you can trust the Internet to vote.  

Its a way for the Republicans to try to hold onto power for as long as they can because of their radicalism and driving away so many people from population centers especially from their parties.  Because they have allow the fucking inmates to run the asylum and have forgotten about what actual true Republicans have always stood for.

On a side note, I find it rich that Republicans are crying about fiscal responsibility NOW, when they couldnt give two shits during the tax bill of 2017.   

They couldnt have a hearing for a Merrick Garland because it was an election year but ramroded Coney-Barret down peoples throats.

Its what I"ve always said about the two parties.   The Democrats and Republicans will both try to assassinate you.

The Democrats do it like men from the front.  The Republicans do it like chicken shit pieces of shit and stab you in the back.

You are a fucking idiot

lol at "republican radicalism and hypocrites"  as if democrats are perfect angels.

The Democrats assassinate you by promising idiots and parasites free shit in exchange for your head. 🙃

The Republicans attempt to assassinate you, but are so ineffective in meeting their goals that you walk out with a black eye and a sudden desire for free shit.

Edited by Entendu
Equal Opportunity

On 4/2/2021 at 3:50 PM, cyoung said:

Hey, you've been at work all day, and now you're standing in line.  I bet you're hungry - I'll give you a cheeseburger and a coke if you vote for "x" candidate.

Furthermore, do that in a poverty stricken area, where that might be the only meal they've had in a couple of days - it wouldn't be that hard to buy votes...

Do you have literally any proof that this has happened in any significant manner?

23 hours ago, rmc523 said:

If you’re going to be smug, know what you’re talking about.

The prohibition on giving food and drink is not only when done for the purpose of swaying or soliciting votes. The first paragraph you quoted is banning several separate things. This is both the intention of the law and also how it’s written.

The last paragraph doesn’t guarantee water, nor does it say what happens to your spot in line. It doesn’t ban water either, but since it bans outside persons giving food or water, it allows for poll officers or precincts with bad intentions to control things.

22 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

This might have been the version proposed for Florida, but didn't the bill state that it is only illegal within a 150 foot distance to the polling location. Wouldn't that mean that they could still give out food and drinks before that point. I mean people are bringing up waiting 5 hours, but the line is going to be a hell of a lot longer than 150 feet if it takes 5 hours to get to the location. That provision still seems silly to me though.

I’m not sure the specific language used in different bills, but that’s an interesting point you make. I could poke some holes here or there, but I’m not sure they’re significant enough to matter.