Alcohol thread

pollythewog

Yuengling Lager, Woodchuck Cider or Rum & Coke... When I lived in Lancaster there was a local company that made a STrawberry and a Raspberry Wheat Ale... haven't been able to find it since I moved

Edited by CyggyMarlin
  • Like 1

Whiskey and bourbon have become my drink of choice and I now find it real difficult to go back to anything else outside of the casual beer with friends. It's like a once you go whiskey you can never go back feeling.

But I love it and I never feel sick or bad with it so that's a plus even though I'm never one to over drink anyways.

I prefer it on the rocks but as far as a cocktail I'm a sucker for a really good Old Fashioned. Still haven't been able to perfect my own homemade Old Fashioned even though it's such a simple recipe. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Whiskey and bourbon have become my drink of choice and I now find it real difficult to go back to anything else outside of the casual beer with friends. It's like a once you go whiskey you can never go back feeling.

But I love it and I never feel sick or bad with it so that's a plus even though I'm never one to over drink anyways.

I prefer it on the rocks but as far as a cocktail I'm a sucker for a really good Old Fashioned. Still haven't been able to perfect my own homemade Old Fashioned even though it's such a simple recipe. 

Holy crap lol Could’ve been me writing that. Right there with ya bullet 🥃

As for the homemade old fashioned, ABC liquors has an awesome mix that you just pour into the bourbon (and add the orange peel/cherry if you like). If you want it from scratch, I don’t have a “recipe” per se to share with you cause I just eyeball it, but I usually go buffalo trace bourbon, angostura or orange bitters (I prefer the orange bitters cause I’m too lazy to buy and peel oranges so that helps the flavor), simple syrup (either bottled or made by mixing equal parts sugar and water in a small pot and heating till incorporated...or if you’re really lazy just put in equal parts sugar and water into the drink lol) 

Thats it, it’s a very simple drink to make in theory, it’s just the quantities that make or break it. In my experience too much of the bitters can make it go awry. I usually put in everything else first then add bitters until it tastes just right. Hope that inspires you to make one in the near future! Lol

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Holy crap lol Could’ve been me writing that. Right there with ya bullet 🥃

As for the homemade old fashioned, ABC liquors has an awesome mix that you just pour into the bourbon (and add the orange peel/cherry if you like). If you want it from scratch, I don’t have a “recipe” per se to share with you cause I just eyeball it, but I usually go buffalo trace bourbon, angostura or orange bitters (I prefer the orange bitters cause I’m too lazy to buy and peel oranges so that helps the flavor), simple syrup (either bottled or made by mixing equal parts sugar and water in a small pot and heating till incorporated...or if you’re really lazy just put in equal parts sugar and water into the drink lol) 

Thats it, it’s a very simple drink to make in theory, it’s just the quantities that make or break it. In my experience too much of the bitters can make it go awry. I usually put in everything else first then add bitters until it tastes just right. Hope that inspires you to make one in the near future! Lol

I'll give all that a shot but I've pretty much done the general idea it's just that mine never seem to be as spot on as it does at an actual bar. Maybe I need more practice, I'm also thinking it might just be my own perception and overthinking mine.

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'll give all that a shot but I've pretty much done the general idea it's just that mine never seem to be as spot on as it does at an actual bar. Maybe I need more practice, I'm also thinking it might just be my own perception and overthinking mine.

Yeah i get you lol If you don’t care about making it from scratch then check out that mix, nice to have when you get the hankering for it at home.

I like whiskey/bourbon, whether in a mixed drink (i.e. something with coke) or an old fashioned.

I do enjoy a good marg as well.  For those that like tequila, the Rock's tequila - Teremana - is pretty smooth and good on its own.

A good mojito can be refreshing too.

On 6/27/2021 at 1:06 AM, SilverBullet said:

Its easy to go back and forth between hard liquor, wine and beer.

Just want to avoid mixing them all together. 

I almost exclusively drink beer in terms of alcoholic beverages. I'll have whisky or whatever hard liquor if a situation calls for it, but I'll never choose it. As far as beers, I usually like most types outside of porters and stouts. I've recently been feeling hazy IPAs and fruit sours. The bar where I host trivia has 24 beers on tap so I always have something different to try each week. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, pollythewog said:

What’s everyone drinking these days? 

i live in Brooklyn really into sour beers

Sours are awesome.

Monkey Chased The Weasel from Carton Brewing. I don't know if they are all way into Brooklyn yet but they have pretty decent distribution in the Tristate area.

A brewery out of Middletown, NJ if you wanted to check them out. Pretty easy to get to for you. You can take sea streak ferry into Atlantic Highlands...couple if dive bars in walking distance, too. You could even uber to Kane brewing or go into Asbury.

Anyways...its a sour made with mulberries. It's real good and super tart.

If you see anything from Off Color Brewing. They have some really pretty good sours, too.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.