Marlins pitching coach search

Rabbethan

On the radar for the Marlins' pitching coach position is Bryan Price.

The Marlins, however, are not alone.

"He's on everybody's list," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The Marlins have contacted Price, who has drawn interest from a few other teams, including the Reds.

Years ago, Florida president of baseball operations Admin Beinfest worked for the Mariners when Price also was in the organization.

There also is speculation that Price may be waiting to see what Bob Melvin does. Melvin and Price are close friends, and both opened the season with the Diamondbacks. But when Melvin was dismissed as manager, Price stepped down out of loyalty.

Melvin is a candidate for the Astros managerial job.

The Marlins are in the market for a pitching coach after Mark Wiley was not retained. The team also has a bullpen coaching position open because Steve Foster turned down a contract to return.

There are a number of names on the market who are drawing attention for pitching coach jobs. Not all necessarily choices for the Marlins. But these are names within the industry that are being tossed around for a number of teams.

Carl Willis was recently released as pitching coach of the Indians. Chuck Hernandez was athe Indians bullpen coach before being dismissed.

A name to keep an eye on is Bryan Harvey, an original Marlin, who is the pitching coach for Double-A Tulsa in the Rockies system. Harvey's son, Kris, pitched for Florida's Class A Jupiter squad this season.

Rick Peterson is a front-runner for the Brewers pitching coach job. He formerly was with the A's and Mets. Peterson has also been linked to the Reds.

Dick Pole was dismissed earlier this month as the Reds pitching coach, but he is highly respected.

Another possible candidate to return as a big league pitching coach is Tom Hume, formerly with the Reds.

Man, Dick Pole is still THE best baseball name.

And I'd like Carl Willis. He has helped make Lee and Sabathia what they are today, and helped Carmona play above what he really is. I think Willis can help take JJ to the next level imo. Yes, I understand the Indians sucked pitching wise this year, but he didn't have much to work with outside of Lee and Pavano (lol).

Dick Pole is a perfect example of why I willingly resigned from the Red Sox Nation before there was a Red Sox Nation when I moved here in 1992. I guess from the success he's had as a pitching coach he is the prototypical "those you can, do, those who cannot, teach" school of life.

Whether he is a quality pitching coach prospect I can't say, and I can give him a pass because of the freak occurrence in his onfield career but my memory of him generally was one of resignation on days he was due to pitch. I'm not sure if his unceremonious departure from Cincinnati was a good or bad thing but I wouldn't want to be the pitching coach in Great American Ballpark so who knows?

edit: However much of a long shot it is and how good at, or ready for the position he would be, it would thrill me no end to see Bryan Harvey in a Marlins uniform again. I've long held that his performance in 1993 was the single greatest achievement in the franchise's history given the circumstances and his contribution to that team. I will never forget watching him out there night after night carrying an otherwise horrendous team to respectability and finishing five games ahead of the Mets.

I'm honestly shocked that Leo Mazzone has not been mentioned at all, either in this article or any others regarding open pitching coach jobs in MLB. Was he secretly blacklisted at some point? The guy hasn't coached since leaving Baltimore, and you would think considering his amazing track record in Atlanta teams would be falling over themselves to get him. Yet, he still has no job.

Florida Marlins: Rick Peterson interested in pitching coach gig

> Posted by Juan C. Rodriguez on October 15, 2009 07:53 AM

After a year away, Rick Peterson is primed for a return to the majors. Could his next pitching coach job be with the Marlins?

Reached earlier this week, Peterson wouldn't reveal whether the Marlins were among the teams he's spoken with so far. He did say the job would appeal to him.

"I'm definitely interested," Peterson said. "No question about it. I think they can win and I think they can win very soon. With their young pitching, obviously you have to keep them healthy and get a little more production out of them. That's pretty much been my track record in my career."

Peterson has some familiarity with the Marlins personnel from his days with the Mets. He spent five seasons (2003-08) as their pitching coach, leading that staff to the National League's third best ERA in 2005 (3.76) and 2006 (4.14).

Before arriving in New York, Peterson established his reputation with the Oakland Athletics, where he coached future 20-game winners Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito. From 1999-03, Peterson's Athletics pitching staffs finished in the top three in ERA among American League teams each of those seasons.

Mulder, who's looking to make a comeback in 2010 after undergoing shoulder surgery, sought out Peterson last season as did Rays lefty Scott Kazmir.

Another of Peterson's assets is his understanding of biomechanics. Along with Dr. James Andrews and others, Peterson started 3P Sports, which provides amateur pitchers with a detailed motion analysis of their delivery and recommends adjustments to improve velocity and accuracy while reducing injury risk. That's only one facet of the program (the three Ps stand for Peak Performance Program), which also includes drills and covers the mental approach to pitching.

What are we saying...Peterson early front runner????:mis2

I like his credentials. His phylosophy on pitching has me intrigued. But name droppimg some of his ex-pitchers means very little to me. Those guys had/have enough talent to become very good pitchers no matter who was their coach. He probably did a little fine tuning with them, but was he their only coach from draft day to what they are now? Turn it around and look at it another way. Would those 90's Braves pitchers be considered great without Leo? Probably, because they had the talent and the smarts.

I would prefer peterson and the bolded is why-

Another of Peterson's assets is his understanding of biomechanics. Along with Dr. James Andrews and others, Peterson started 3P Sports, which provides amateur pitchers with a detailed motion analysis of their delivery and recommends adjustments to improve velocity and accuracy while reducing injury risk. That's only one facet of the program (the three Ps stand for Peak Performance Program), which also includes drills and covers the mental approach to pitching.

I felt when the going got bad, it kept goign with our staff, not to mention the over use Girardi put the staff in 2006 can still creep up. Atleast with peterson, we'll know JJ and Nolasco and the others will be properly handled.

Not to mention the job he did in OAK or NY. Face it, he's done alot of good things with two different teams completely. Not like Mazzone, who had the greatest front three of all time for 10 years and any two they can slot behind them in atlanta.

I like his credentials. His phylosophy on pitching has me intrigued. But name droppimg some of his ex-pitchers means very little to me. Those guys had/have enough talent to become very good pitchers no matter who was their coach. He probably did a little fine tuning with them, but was he their only coach from draft day to what they are now? Turn it around and look at it another way. Would those 90's Braves pitchers be considered great without Leo? Probably, because they had the talent and the smarts.

What exactly is Peterson's philosophy that you find appealing? Specifically?

Please explain why Rosenthal, Peterson, or Price have more impressive and certifiable resumes than someone like Leo Mazzone does that warrants them being the top candidates for consideration.

Please explain why you are so excited about someone that got fired from his last job and has been unemployed for the last couple years. Is it because the Marlins have said they aren't interested in him so it gives you an opportunity to whine? He's not coming here for whatever reasons that aren't known to us. Get over it. Please don't let this be one of those things when one of our pitchers has a bad outing the next post will be "If we had hired Leo...".

I wanted Rosey because he knows the system and the pitchers. And I liked him in that role before. But he's not interested. Price, Peterson, Mitchell, and Cornelius apparently are. The last two also know the system and the pitchers. I kinda like Mitchell, but I'm not opposed to trying someone new either. And (now here's the big part) whoever gets the nod, I promise not to throw an internet tantrum if they don't hire my guy. Maybe one "Bah" post, then I'll adapt.

I would prefer peterson and the bolded is why-

I felt when the going got bad, it kept goign with our staff, not to mention the over use Girardi put the staff in 2006 can still creep up. Atleast with peterson, we'll know JJ and Nolasco and the others will be properly handled.

Not to mention the job he did in OAK or NY. Face it, he's done alot of good things with two different teams completely. Not like Mazzone, who had the greatest front three of all time for 10 years and any two they can slot behind them in atlanta.

That's the philosophy I'm talking about. I would like to hear more on his thoughts along those lines. Working with Doc Jimmy is a pretty good notch in his belt, IMO.

I'm with you on Leo. I think the pitchers themselves made his resume look good. Since he left Atlanta, not much to say about him other than he has had the time to do some extensive home projects.

Please explain why Rosenthal, Peterson, or Price have more impressive and certifiable resumes than someone like Leo Mazzone does that warrants them being the top candidates for consideration.

Instead of continually reading the rants of his greatness, I decided to google him and find out a bit more.

Leo turns 61 today. (Happy birthday to him.) He was lured away from the Braves by then Baltimore manager Sam Perlozzo who was a lifelong friend. He was even the best man at Perlozzo's wedding. When Perlozzo got fired in June of '07 it was only a matter of time until Leo got the axe, a year before his contract was up. The Orioles young pitching staff (sound familiar?) were ranked 29th out of 30 teams with a 5.17 ERA and gave up the most walks in baseball. He wanted to get another coaching job right away but instead is doing color commentary for Fox. Apparently no one wants him to teach their pitchers how to walk guys. Imagine that.

Sorry. Not impressed.

Next candidate, please.

Instead of continually reading the rants of his greatness, I decided to google him and find out a bit more.

Leo turns 61 today. (Happy birthday to him.) He was lured away from the Braves by then Baltimore manager Sam Perlozzo who was a lifelong friend. He was even the best man at Perlozzo's wedding. When Perlozzo got fired in June of '07 it was only a matter of time until Leo got the axe, a year before his contract was up. The Orioles young pitching staff (sound familiar?) were ranked 29th out of 30 teams with a 5.17 ERA and gave up the most walks in baseball. He wanted to get another coaching job right away but instead is doing color commentary for Fox. Apparently no one wants him to teach their pitchers how to walk guys. Imagine that.

Sorry. Not impressed.

Next candidate, please.

O's pitching staff was garbage.

They had zero depth and the staff was brought down by the horrible parts (read most of it). Bedard had his best year in 07, Guthrie had his best year. Who were his others starters? Steve Trachsel who's ERA went up after Mazzone left and who wasn't in the bigs this year. Brian Burress, who had an ERA over 10 this year for the Jays (in very limited play). He also got worse after Mazzone left. Then Daniel Cabrera, the king of walks. He also got worse after Mazzone left. He barely pitched in 2009 while going between two teams and spending a few months unemployed. And he was terrible.

And there are a TON of guys who aren't pitching in the bigs anymore who were part of that pitching staff. Just a horrible pitching staff.

It's amazing how you twist and skew the facts.

First of all, it's complete nonsense to claim that I'm merely whining because the front office didn't consider him. If you look back at the archives and timeline of the Wiley firing, you will find that I was supportive of negotiating with Mazzone long before the media started mentioning potential candidates. I even started a thread in the MLB section here pondering Mazzone's employment status months ago. Mazzone's reputation is respected throughout baseball and unsurprisingly there were several people here that pondered the possibility that Leo getting the call.

What I find most non-sensical is your continual self-denial over the matter until the point where you entered this bitter tirade after I actually displayed a bit of insight to Mazzone's employment history and dispelled your initially frivolous objections regarding salary and desire for work. Perhaps this has to do with more of how silly you look rather than how apologetic you seem to be to decisions made by the front office.

Mazzone hasn't had work for two years. That's true. Peterson hasn't had work for one. How many pitching coach vacancies have there been over the last two years? I'm not even opposed to hiring Peterson, which you should have gathered from my first post in this thread. That is a far cry from you childishly saying that my mere explanation and narration of Mazzone's employment history has convinced you not to want him? Do you realize how immature that makes you look? I'm even more confused as to why your thorough background research you post on page 2 amounts to nothing more than what I've already posted in this thread and other threads in light of your concerns. I didn't throw a tantrum, you did. I merely stated strong interest in getting Mazzone. You were desperately trying to rationalize why he shouldn't be hired and I responded with facts and grounded conjecture. You blew your lid when I started making too much sense.

I also love your double talk. Mazzone shouldn't be considered because he's been out of work for two years and Peterson should be considered because he's been out for one? Mazzone is worthless because he got fired and Peterson, Price, and Rosenthal left willingly? Isn't it possible that the the Marlins got enough of a taste of Rosenthal the first time? How is his philosophy any better now than it was during his first tour?

I'm still having difficulty in understanding why Mazzone's stint in Baltimore is so damning. He had success with the actual young organizational pitching in Guthrie and Bedard. The players he didn't improve were those veterans are washed up rookies that had already been established (Lopez, Benson, Cabrera, Trachsel). You need to look beyond team statistics to understand the situation.

Talk about twisting and turning things around. Wow. That tirade was Hall Of Fame worthy. Nice job.

Don't want him because he was unable to do anything at all with a young pitching staff. Actually probably hurt their developement, at least some.

Looks like he was the beneficiary of good scouting and trades/drafting in Atlanta where that pitching staff made him look good. Not to mention he was on Cox's staff, a future HOFer in his own right. Sure couldn't duplicate it in Baltimore. And Atlanta's staff hasn't been all that bad since he left.

I feel we have better options than a guy that apparently is unwanted by any other team. There has to be a reason, or reasons, why a guy that has a "reputation respected throughout baseball" is still unemployed and doing color analysis. Especially when he openly said after his firing that he wanted to continue in coaching.

But I said it before....He almost certainly isn't coming here and that gives the geniuses here the opportunity to slam the FO any time one of our pitchers has a bad outing next season. It's pretty much a win situation for them.