Logan Morrison is playing left field at AAA

Logan Morrison has been playing left field for the past few weeks at AAA. Everybody thinks his bat is ready for the big leagues.

This means Uggla may be traded for lefty bullpen help.

If Uggla goes, Coghlan will move to second.

Cody is another possible trade candidate, but who do we have that can play center other than Maybin and Bonifasio? That's why I think Uggla will be the one traded soon. The front office just can't fire Fredi and leave the bullpen issue unresolved.

Valentine, or anyone, needs a better bullpen to succeed. Other than Nunez and Hensley we have nothing!

Re-signing Armando Benitez as the 7th inning guy may work. Lets see.

Maybe the Hopper and VandenHurk can come back and be effective, but I think that Morrison in the outfield at AAA mean Uggla has only a few days with the Marlins left.

Thats a good point. I honestly think its too late for this season to be saved so I would like to get some prospects if we deal Uggla as well. Maybe a MLB LHP, a B+ pitching prospect, and a C pitching prospect. Just so the trade has a chance to be salvaged if one single relief pitcher doesn't turn our season around... which in all likeliness it wont.

I wouldn't necessarily say Dans days are numbered, I would say that it indicates the Marlins are happy with the production of Gaby and probably feel that Morrison is better equiped to play the outfield, than Gaby. I agree it does make you wonder if they'll trade Uggz and move Coghlan to second, which in the long run wouldn't be all that bad.

WEST, MORRISON UPDATES... The Marlins are obviously going to have to tinker some more with their roster if they hope to become a real playoff contender. The question is what will they do?

Rodriguez shed some light on how two of the top prospects in the organization are doing down in Triple A: left-hander Sean West and first baseman Logan Morrison.

I tweeted this earlier, but according to Rodriguez, Morrison is now playing left field "four days a week." Makes you wonder if the Marlins are shopping him for other teams in attempt to bolster the bullpen, or if they're planning on trading a guy like Cody Ross and asking Coghlan to move to center.

"Offensively, I think he's ready for the big leagues," Rodriguez said of Morrision. "Now, it's a matter of finding him a position because it looks like Gaby is going to be there for a long time."

As for West, Rodriguez thinks he'll be ready for a return to the majors soon. "I saw him down in New Orleans," Rodriguez said. "He's been up five times. I think it's a matter of time. Whenever we need him, I think he's ready to come. I think his last start he was in Memphis, his first two innings the pitch count was up, then he made some adjustments and threw six innings, 99 pitches. Overall, his command has been good."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2010/06/did-nolasco-save-himself-from-another-demotion.html

Cogs in center? That is crazy.

Everyway I look at it a trade inolving Cantu appears imminent I just wished that Cantu's value does not continue to slide CC will likely play 3rd base I dont see Uggla being traded just yet. If Stanton gets hot the 4 spot is there waiting for him anyway

Eddie, consider this idea. Not saying this will happen or that it should but in the alternative (assuming Morrison's arrival is imminent and Cantu is the odd man which I'm not in favor of but just going along with the theme of your post) Gaby Sanchez moves to third where he played almost an equal number of games (as 1B) in the minors in both 2008 and 2009, Morrison becomes the team's first baseman and Coghlan stays (at least for the time being) in leftfield.

I say this because Coghlan has never been a quality third baseman in the minors, and has not played so much as a single inning at the position since arriving to the major leagues so he's completely untested and unpracticed there. (Gaby I believe has from time to time taken regular fielding practice at third since arriving last September with his mentor Wes Helms and even Brett Carroll.) Even during Coghlan's minor league career he only played 42 games at third compared to 240+ at 2nd.

Just a thought.

(I say this fully recognizing that Morrison is being played more regularly in left implying that Coghlan is moved elsewhere and to me that says more about Uggla than Cantu but there may be something else afoot we're not considering, even as outlandish as it sounds, returning Stanton to the minors for more seasoning and playing along side Maybin in hopes creating a tandem picks them both up. Probably crazy talk, but just thinking outside the box).

It would seem contrary to the organization's mode of operation to trade a guy like Morrison.

I think they are just getting him used to left field for when Uggla is gone, whether its this season or next. Gaby was originally thought to be the odd man out, but his performance makes first base too crowded. Morrison is more valuable to the Marlins as an outfielder.

Thats a good point. I honestly think its too late for this season to be saved so I would like to get some prospects if we deal Uggla as well. Maybe a MLB LHP, a B+ pitching prospect, and a C pitching prospect. Just so the trade has a chance to be salvaged if one single relief pitcher doesn't turn our season around... which in all likeliness it wont.

We are only 6 games back with 90 to go. It is by no means over

Everyway I look at it a trade inolving Cantu appears imminent I just wished that Cantu's value does not continue to slide CC will likely play 3rd base I dont see Uggla being traded just yet. If Stanton gets hot the 4 spot is there waiting for him anyway

Eddie, consider this idea. Not saying this will happen or that it should but in the alternative (assuming Morrison's arrival is imminent and Cantu is the odd man which I'm not in favor of but just going along with the theme of your post) Gaby Sanchez moves to third where he played almost an equal number of games (as 1B) in the minors in both 2008 and 2009, Morrison becomes the team's first baseman and Coghlan stays (at least for the time being) in leftfield.

I say this because Coghlan has never been a quality third baseman in the minors, and has not played so much as a single inning at the position since arriving to the major leagues so he's completely untested and unpracticed there. (Gaby I believe has from time to time taken regular fielding practice at third since arriving last September with his mentor Wes Helms and even Brett Carroll.) Even during Coghlan's minor league career he only played 42 games at third compared to 240+ at 2nd.

Just a thought.

(I say this fully recognizing that Morrison is being played more regularly in left implying that Coghlan is moved elsewhere and to me that says more about Uggla than Cantu but there may be something else afoot we're not considering, even as outlandish as it sounds, returning Stanton to the minors for more seasoning and playing along side Maybin in hopes creating a tandem picks them both up. Probably crazy talk, but just thinking outside the box).

I hear you looking into possibilities Keep Cantu or keep Uggla?

Rather keep Uggla any day. Does Beinfest feel the same way I can't actually say...However I feel Uggla does more for the Marlins at 2nd than what Cantu's provides at 3rd I hope you folk do not start thining I have something against mexicans That i don't want to see any playing for the Marlins considering my previous post of a certain utility player of the Marlin's past

Just a thought.

Coghlan was fine defensively at 3B, the reason he was moved to 2nd was because his bat didn't project (which is almost ironic considering he's playing LF). If you're talking about someone who can't play 3B, it's Gaby. Yes, he played a decent amount of 3B but that was mostly the Marlins hoping that he'd improve over there. He's really really bad at 3B. (Also, Gaby hasn't played as much as a single inning at 3B since he got here). Also, I'm pretty sure CC has been talking balls at both 2B and 3B since last season.

I also disagree that it says more about Uggla, I really think Cantu is as good as gone, considering his free agency at the end of the season.

This season is only over if:

1) The Marlins continue to parade Nate Robertson out to the mound every fifth day (the Tigers are paying him $10 million NOT to pitch for them this season!) ...

2) My guy Stanton continues to take all the fast balls down the middle for strikes and flail at everything that sails wide of the plate ...

3) Hanley continues to have so many poor at bats with runners on base.

I support trading Uggla and Maybin to the Mariners for Cliff Lee.

Hell if the Mariners were willing to give up Cliff Lee for Uggla and Maybin I'd support it to. Of course I don't see them handing over an elite pitcher for an all or nothing 2B man heading the wrong way from 30 and a hopeless CF who looks like he'll spend his career as a journeyman.

1) The Marlins continue to parade Nate Robertson out to the mound every fifth day (the Tigers are paying him $10 million NOT to pitch for them this season!) ...

2) My guy Stanton continues to take all the fast balls down the middle for strikes and flail at everything that sails wide of the plate ...

I'm sure Seattle would love to trade one of the best pitchers in baseball for an aging 2nd baseman and disappointing (so far) prospect in Maybin. Brilliant.

I'm sure Seattle would love to trade one of the best pitchers in baseball for an aging 2nd baseman and disappointing (so far) prospect in Maybin. Brilliant.

Dan Uggla is 30. That's aging in football, but in baseball he could still have peak production for another 5 years. If he hits the open market, there will be somebody out there to lock up one of the best hitting second basemen in the league for those years.

I wouldn't read too much into Morrison playing LF and the imminent exit of a particular starting player. No matter who gets dealt, the reality is that Morrison and Gaby are both first basemen who should provide very solid offense for years to come, and it's going to be in the team's best interest to keep them both in the lineup. For more than two years now scouts have been saying that Morrison was likely to play LF in the majors, and this was made regardless of Gaby's existence or potential success. Now with Gaby doing so well it only makes sense that we are going to keep options open for having both of them in the lineup, whether that's August 1st or next year.

Honestly I don't understand all the love for Uggla. He's a guy who, when he goes cold, is a horrible hitter. And he's definitely in one of those cold spells right now. And those cold spells last a long time.

And yet every year he gives you 30 hrs and 90 rbis while playing average defense. Until he's going to be a free agent in the offseason you don't deal him. I'm getting tired of Cody though. Solid player but nothing special and shouldn't be here IF we can get a solid reliever due to the fact that he is holding back maybin who has proven he cam hit at the minor league level and Morrison who has shown the same. If we never truly get into it this year I'm hoping for a lineup like this by the end of the year because it's clear this free swinging core isn't going to get it done:

C- Ronny

1b- gaby

2B- uggla

3b- cogs

ss- bonifacio. Ok jk hanley

lf- Morrison

cf- maybin

rf- Stanton

as well as call up west and Tucker and other young pitchers to get them some major league innings

I think most of it means that they know they need Gaby's bat in the lineup and he can't play OF over the short term.

Pretty much exactly right. Logan is still the 1B of the future, it's just that the future isn't here yet. Gaby's bat needs to be in there for most of each game. He's earned the right. And tho his defense has improved, it's still no wheres near Logan's. No sense in sending Gaby to the OF right now just to let the future take over at 1B. Better to teach Logan the OF while in AAA and send him out there if/when it is needed. And Rab is right. Gaby can't play 3B. He lost that job at the U for a reason. They moved him to 1B to keep his bat in the lineup.

So what would happen if a trade did occur and Cogs comes in to play 2B, while Logan goes to the OF? Could be when the defensive replacements happen it will be Logan to 1B and BC or fill-in-the-blank to LF. Or some variation of that. And there's nothing really wrong with that for the time being.

Honestly I don't understand all the love for Uggla. He's a guy who, when he goes cold, is a horrible hitter. And he's definitely in one of those cold spells right now. And those cold spells last a long time.

That kinda happens for most players hence why their streak of form is referred to as "cold"........