The Official Giancarlo Stanton Man Crush Thread

I think it is important to note he is going to get $13-15 easy in arbitration next year, add in this season and some endorsements, he probably has $15-20 million bucks post tax end of next year. He's good right now. He doesn't need to give up free agency years when he already has "I can live forever" money in the bank (i.e. which is why the organization needed to do this two years ago before he got really paid. Leverage is gone) and can wait out being a free agent for 2 seasons.

The scenario is, they would need to (1) drastically overpay, (2) take minimum free agency years, and (3) let him be a free agent again in his prime, at latest 29 years old I suspect. Stanton has all the leverage. That is post 2018 meaning a 4 year deal. Think of the most ludicrous 4 year deal you can think of and add tens of millions. That's the scenario the Marlins have put themselves in because they were so stupid, again, to not buy out their guy. I think 4/$100 is to low, and that is acknowledging I am placing a value on his free agency years at over $30 million a season (as the arb years are much lower). It's just not enough to hedge his bets on a future longterm monstrous deal after 2016 for 8-10 years. 4/$120? I think that gets interesting for Stanton as the annual value is nuts. 5/$140? Real interesting. Those would be tough to pass up and thats where the deal is. Something so crazy Stanton has to say, screw California, money is to good here and I can go to LA when I'm 29/30 on that 2nd massive deal.

I expect an exciting 2016 with Stanton in a contract year in his prime and two draft picks in 2017.

We disagree on what would have been fair for both sides 2-3 years ago, but it's encouraging that for the first time in 3 years we sort of agree on a fair contract now. 5/140, 6/160....something in that range I think would get 'er done right now if the Marlins make the offer. 10 year deals don't make sense for either side right now.

We disagree on what would have been fair for both sides 2-3 years ago, but it's encouraging that for the first time in 3 years we sort of agree on a fair contract now. 5/140, 6/160....something in that range I think would get 'er done right now if the Marlins make the offer. 10 year deals don't make sense for either side right now.

A major injury a year was worth waiting for- the only real issue was if a truly team friendly deal would have been possible.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11357222/sorting-muddled-national-league-mvp-race-mlb

On Giancarlo Stanton's chances of being NL MVP:

Giancarlo Stanton would seem like the next obvious choice, because his 160 wRC+ (weighted runs created plus) is the third best in baseball, his tape-measure home runs are already legendary, and he's having the best year of what was already an impressive career. However, he plays for the below-.500 Miami Marlins, a team with a lowly 5.1 percent chance of seeing October in the latest playoff odds. At least Pujols' 2008 Cardinals finished 10 games over .500; you have to go back to Alex Rodriguez in 2003 to find an MVP winner from a losing team. It's completely unfair to Stanton, but that's how the voting tends to go: He might not win the MVP because Jose Fernandez got hurt.

The way I read the whole thing, it's basically gonna be Stanton or Kershaw. Cutch just went on the DL, and on top of missing time will probably be rusty when he returns. And Puig hasn't hit a HR since May (!) so he's out. And hopefully we have a winning record and stay in the race long enough to get him recognized...

The way I read the whole thing, it's basically gonna be Stanton or Kershaw. Cutch just went on the DL, and on top of missing time will probably be rusty when he returns. And Puig hasn't hit a HR since May (!) so he's out. And hopefully we have a winning record and stay in the race long enough to get him recognized...

Puig hit 2 in July. One on the 4th, one on the 31st.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't blame him, really.

I spent almost 26 years in Miami and now 3 in LA. There's nothing about Miami that is better than here. I always thought things would be way more expensive, but that isn't true either (except for gas)

Fuck you.

And your boyfriend Giancarlo!

Here's what I say. If we don't make the playoffs, as soon as the off-season begins, start negotiations with him. Keep these negotiations going until February with legit, fair offers or overpay offers. If he doesn't sign by the time Spring Training starts, then trade him, because at that point, it's absolutely clear he does not want to stay here. And since he has made it absolutely clear, trade him somewhere he wouldn't like to be, just to piss him off, cause at that point, fuck 'em.

Can't blame him, really.

I spent almost 26 years in Miami and now 3 in LA. There's nothing about Miami that is better than here. I always thought things would be way more expensive, but that isn't true either (except for gas)

That is only your opinion, and you don't speak for everyone, but I would take Miami's tropial weather over LAs mediterranean climate anyday. I love the humidity and the bathwater.

If we make him a huge offer this offseason he will not pass it up for the chance to go to LA in 2 years, he will take the immediate raise. ITs up to ownership not to let the best power hitter of the next generation go.

He's got enough money banked now especially factoring in his arby number in 2015 that he can and likely will be ok with risking it. He wil likely turn down even a lucrative offer.

That is only your opinion, and you don't speak for everyone, but I would take Miami's tropial weather over LAs mediterranean climate anyday. I love the humidity and the bathwater.

You're absolutely right, but I can only assume that Giancarlo shares my opinion. I can't do Miami's weather anymore. You haven't lived until you know what it's like when it's (almost) always 70-something and you need a light sweater at night even in the middle of the summer!

You're absolutely right, but I can only assume that Giancarlo shares my opinion. I can't do Miami's weather anymore. You haven't lived until you know what it's like when it's (almost) always 70-something and you need a light sweater at night even in the middle of the summer!

Ya, i've never been to LA but I've been to Cali and the weather is unreal. A lot of people love SoFla weather but as someone who has lived there my whole life its pretty unbearable in the summer. Doesnt compare.

He's got enough money banked now especially factoring in his arby number in 2015 that he can and likely will be ok with risking it. He wil likely turn down even a lucrative offer.

For some reason I just can't see that happening. If he really feels the pull of Cali then maybe, but if it is regarding the direction of the team how could he not want to stay. The post 2012 trade has been justified and we are 3 games out of the playoffs right now without perhaps the second best pitcher in the league for most of the year?

Him leaving would set this team back for years. Especially because we have no hitting in the minors as of now that really look like future stars in the majors.

Ya, i've never been to LA but I've been to Cali and the weather is unreal. A lot of people love SoFla weather but as someone who has lived there my whole life its pretty unbearable in the summer. Doesnt compare.

A regular winter day in Miami is a regular summer day in LA. Of course, there are the winter days in Miami in the 40s and the summer days in LA in the 110s, but the average Miami winter day is about 80/65. Today in LA: 86/66.

And sorry for the consecutive posts but if the marlins don't make a competitive offer for him something needs to be done with this ownership with MLB. There were excuses with the old park including not getting ticket revenue and parking revenue and things like that but what is the excuse now?

And sorry for the consecutive posts but if the marlins don't make a competitive offer for him something needs to be done with this ownership with MLB. There were excuses with the old park including not getting ticket revenue and parking revenue and things like that but what is the excuse now?

Sadly, there are plenty of excuses that would fly by MLB. If they dont sign him, nothing will be done. Simple as that. Not that I'm for not signing him, I'm just saying MLB won't step in.