July 25, 201214 yr Well Good F!@ing Morning to ME! What the Hell?!? Is this really all Hanley fetched in a trade?!?! Has he really fallen so far from grace?!? Disappointed, but i'll reserve further judgement and see what they do with the money saved. Can't say i'm expecting anything exciting, this is the marlins we're talking about, but i'll reserve my judgement nonetheless.
July 25, 201214 yr As I said in the other thread, I am reserved to the fact (that way if it doesnt happen i am suprised) that JJ is the next to go. I say we trade with Texas and insist upon Olt being the start of any discussion. Maybe he comes up for the rest of the year or at the very least is ready to compete for the full time job in the spring.
July 25, 201214 yr Well Good F!@ing Morning to ME! What the Hell?!? Is this really all Hanley fetched in a trade?!?! Has he really fallen so far from grace?!? Disappointed, but i'll reserve further judgement and see what they do with the money saved. Can't say i'm expecting anything exciting, this is the marlins we're talking about, but i'll reserve my judgement nonetheless. I hope Hutton and those who ask for a Hanley trade are pleased. Never has the future of this franchise seem so bleak, we dont even have an elite farm like we used to.
July 25, 201214 yr Hanley's trade is a salary dump. He had a back-weighted contract to which he was not living up to. He is NOT worth 15 million/year. We all know that. I don't think many Marlins fans will be upset to see him go. We may argue about the return we got, but I believe the team is not significantly worse without him. But the main issue is what the FO will do with the savings. If they spend it on a big free agent signing in the off season, what we got in return for Hanley won't be the issue. The real issue will be that the money saved was able to get us a real star. So we should wait and see what we get in the off season before we decide if the trade was a bad one. Think about it. If you were the Dodgers' FO, and were asked to pay the entire amount of Hanley's remaining back weighted salary, would you also give away a big star? The answer is a huge NO. That is why this trade is not really a trade, the Marlins just found someone to pay Hanley what the Marlins think he does not deserve.
July 25, 201214 yr Just finished reading the thread... Wow. It was a huge surprise at first but now it doesn't seem so bad. I think the main point is that Hanley just clearly showed he's far from having the proper attitude/care to be an elite player. And as a fan, I'd personally rather see someone who sucks suck in place of Hanley rather than Hanley who has all star potential suck.
July 25, 201214 yr If I remember correctly, Hanley has always torched the Dodgers in LA. I wouldn't be surprised if he bounced back nicely.
July 25, 201214 yr Hanley's trade is a salary dump. He had a back-weighted contract to which he was not living up to. He is NOT worth 15 million/year. We all know that. I don't think many Marlins fans will be upset to see him go. We may argue about the return we got, but I believe the team is not significantly worse without him. But the main issue is what the FO will do with the savings. If they spend it on a big free agent signing in the off season, what we got in return for Hanley won't be the issue. The real issue will be that the money saved was able to get us a real star. So we should wait and see what we get in the off season before we decide if the trade was a bad one. Think about it. If you were the Dodgers' FO, and were asked to pay the entire amount of Hanley's remaining back weighted salary, would you also give away a big star? The answer is a huge NO. That is why this trade is not really a trade, the Marlins just found someone to pay Hanley what the Marlins think he does not deserve. absolutely fanfish. Loria needs to spend it this offeseason. Sign Stanton long-term. Go get a big bat. Hanley's getting paid superstar money and isn't that guy anymore, not to mention the defensive issues. At this point I was just holding out hope he would be decent again, forget great.
July 25, 201214 yr I'm surprised they found someone to take his salary, let's be honest - Hanley has regressed to a sub .250 hitter with the only upside of having above average power for a SS ... but he's playing 3B. At 15 Million a season, that's an unmoveable contract. Beinfest did well to get someone to take that without having to throw in any money.
July 25, 201214 yr Hanley's trade is a salary dump. He had a back-weighted contract to which he was not living up to. He is NOT worth 15 million/year. We all know that. I don't think many Marlins fans will be upset to see him go. We may argue about the return we got, but I believe the team is not significantly worse without him. But the main issue is what the FO will do with the savings. If they spend it on a big free agent signing in the off season, what we got in return for Hanley won't be the issue. The real issue will be that the money saved was able to get us a real star. So we should wait and see what we get in the off season before we decide if the trade was a bad one. Think about it. If you were the Dodgers' FO, and were asked to pay the entire amount of Hanley's remaining back weighted salary, would you also give away a big star? The answer is a huge NO. That is why this trade is not really a trade, the Marlins just found someone to pay Hanley what the Marlins think he does not deserve. Cant we wait to sign the Next Reyes/Bell. I dont trust Beinfest to spend that money, hopefully he and Hill are out of a job after the season.
July 25, 201214 yr I'm surprised they found someone to take his salary, let's be honest - Hanley has regressed to a sub .250 hitter with the only upside of having above average power for a SS ... but he's playing 3B. At 15 Million a season, that's an unmoveable contract. Beinfest did well to get someone to take that without having to throw in any money. there you go folks, and from a Mets fan.
July 25, 201214 yr I'm surprised they found someone to take his salary, let's be honest - Hanley has regressed to a sub .250 hitter with the only upside of having above average power for a SS ... but he's playing 3B. At 15 Million a season, that's an unmoveable contract. Beinfest did well to get someone to take that without having to throw in any money. That's how I look at it also.
July 25, 201214 yr I'm surprised they found someone to take his salary, let's be honest - Hanley has regressed to a sub .250 hitter with the only upside of having above average power for a SS ... but he's playing 3B. At 15 Million a season, that's an unmoveable contract. Beinfest did well to get someone to take that without having to throw in any money. Well said!
July 25, 201214 yr Hanley's trade is a salary dump. He had a back-weighted contract to which he was not living up to. He is NOT worth 15 million/year. We all know that. I don't think many Marlins fans will be upset to see him go. We may argue about the return we got, but I believe the team is not significantly worse without him. But the main issue is what the FO will do with the savings. If they spend it on a big free agent signing in the off season, what we got in return for Hanley won't be the issue. The real issue will be that the money saved was able to get us a real star. So we should wait and see what we get in the off season before we decide if the trade was a bad one. Think about it. If you were the Dodgers' FO, and were asked to pay the entire amount of Hanley's remaining back weighted salary, would you also give away a big star? The answer is a huge NO. That is why this trade is not really a trade, the Marlins just found someone to pay Hanley what the Marlins think he does not deserve. Sign Stanton long-term. Go get a big bat. Hanley's getting paid superstar money and isn't that guy anymore, not to mention the defensive issues. At this point I was just holding out hope he would be decent again, forget great. So much of this.
July 25, 201214 yr Different persepectives LA- Why? I understand that you need a 3B or possibly SS with Gordon going down but Hanley is a LOOSE CANNON and when he's without his friend Jose Reyes he's going to cry daily. MIA- Why? going back to the Florida Marlins days where we have no money and have to sell Miguel as Detroit slaps us on the ass over and over again. I understand that Hanley isn't very good anymore but that doesn't mean that he can't resort back to old ways at some point. The marlins are a confusing team. They spend alot of money for the first time ever. Now we're selling all the players that we thought were going to get us to the playoffs. Embarrassing GM. Emabarrassing Owner. Embarrassing Franchise.
July 25, 201214 yr Yes, I think the Dodgers are gonna be a little disappointed in this move. If you think people in Miami are hard on him, wait until he brings his nonperforming act to Los Angeles..
July 25, 201214 yr I have no idea why Choate had to be in the deal. McGough is a nobody, and Eovaldi isn't a top 100 prospect. This is really a trade to get rid of salaries. But still, many declared the Uggla for Infante/Dunn trade a terrible deal when it happened, and look what happened. Uggla is overpaid, and Infante contributed well. Many were furious (including me) after trading Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham for Bonifacio, Smolinski, and PJ Dean. Willingham didn't last with the Nats for long, Olsen's god knows where, while Bonifacio is a starter for us, and Smolinski is a decent guy in the minors. I'm rationalizing here. Yes he is. Maybe not anymore because he's in the big leagues, but he was before the year began. I hate this trade too, but I've seen Eovaldi pitch and I feel like his stuff should translate to better #'s. I, too, have no idea why Choate had to be included in this deal.
July 25, 201214 yr Yes, I think the Dodgers are gonna be a little disappointed in this move. If you think people in Miami are hard on him, wait until he brings his nonperforming act to Los Angeles.. I fully expect him to become 2009 Hanley as soon as he arrives.
July 25, 201214 yr So sad to think that Hanley's last at bat as a Marlin was a called third strike to end the game.
July 25, 201214 yr Eovaldi seems like a decent pick up. Despite really 2 bad starts he's been solid. Though Like everyone else not sure why choate was included.
July 25, 201214 yr Choate was the centerpiece of the deal. Hanley was the 15 million dollar throw-in of the trade XD
July 25, 201214 yr I'm sure eovaldi is starting this Saturday. Will be interesting to watch him make his debut as well as turner
July 25, 201214 yr Different persepectives LA- Why? I understand that you need a 3B or possibly SS with Gordon going down but Hanley is a LOOSE CANNON and when he's without his friend Jose Reyes he's going to cry daily. MIA- Why? going back to the Florida Marlins days where we have no money and have to sell Miguel as Detroit slaps us on the ass over and over again. I understand that Hanley isn't very good anymore but that doesn't mean that he can't resort back to old ways at some point. The marlins are a confusing team. They spend alot of money for the first time ever. Now we're selling all the players that we thought were going to get us to the playoffs. Embarrassing GM. Emabarrassing Owner. Embarrassing Franchise. I don't know if any of you heard 790theticket this morning between 7:15 to 7:45. The discussion was what would the fan base think? The discussion was how little we got for Hanley? And then a discussion that Loria has his fingers too much in the pie--makes too many decisions. And then a discussion about players we have cut saying they were washed up, couldn't play, etc., and have gone on to play better than here. Examples: Gonzalez, Castillo, Willingham, Maybin, Ross with the RED SOX now as designated hitter, Lowell was fine with the RED SOX, Alejando--can't remember last name. Then from these examples what are the MARLINS lacking? Why do these examples do fine and awesome outside of South Florida? They mentioned the FO and expecially Loria. They also mentioned Guillen as not being able to handle the team. And one caller mentioned no leadership as a manager as well as no players are. Certainly Hanley wasn't one; he has never grown up. Thoughts??
July 25, 201214 yr In unrelated news, Jose Reyes has been scratched from today's game with swollen eyes and a broken heart.
July 25, 201214 yr The biggest fear I have right now is that the upcoming 2013 free agent class seems to really suck ass. The free agent market almost always sucks for pitching (which is why the Marlins are trying to address that via trades), but the position players are mostly a bunch of washed up, past their prime has beens. There's some decent names out there, but not much. I think a lot of that has to do with many teams seemingly being able to negotiate contract extensions for players in their arbitration years. The Marlins need to be careful that they don't squander this money they are getting back.
July 25, 201214 yr In unrelated news, Jose Reyes has been scratched from today's game with swollen eyes and a broken heart. "Come play with me in Miami! We'll be bestest friends and I have a long term deal! We'll play together forever!"
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.