Haren's Future Still Unsure, Holy Crap Please Sign James Shields.

Olney said perception of those within talks of shields is miami offered the most money. 

​Ouch, this hurts a little, both ways. We almost blew a fortune on this guy, which could have stung elsewhere in the future. But then again, we offered the most money and still got turned down? I guess he really favored San Diego and we never had a chance if that's the case.

Olney said perception of those within talks of shields is miami offered the most money.

​Ouch, this hurts a little, both ways. We almost blew a fortune on this guy, which could have stung elsewhere in the future. But then again, we offered the most money and still got turned down? I guess he really favored San Diego and we never had a chance if that's the case.

​Roto says otherwise. Maybe Miami offered the most money on a per year basis but not overall... We wouldn't go that extra year...

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears that the Cubs weren't willing to go beyond three guaranteed years for James Shields.

Chicago's final offer was a three-year deal with a vesting option for 2018, and his final proposal from the Marlins had a very similar structure. Shields instead signed a four-year contract with the Padres that carries an option for 2019. It's believed to be worth $72-78 million.

At least its starting to sound like Haren might pitch for us this season.

Going into opening day, we are probably looking at a rotation of:

Alvarez, Latos, Cosart, Haren, Koehler

​until we know about Haren. I am to assume Alvarez, Latos, Cosart, Koehler, AAA guy(Nicolino, Conley, etc)

​until we know about Haren. I am to assume Alvarez, Latos, Cosart, Koehler, AAA guy(Nicolino, Conley, etc)

​Phelps/Hand for #5.

​Phelps/Hand for #5.

​No, No. I would much rather anyone besides Hand. looking at Phelps again, there might be some promise in marlins park.

​Phelps/Hand for #5.

​No, No. I would much rather anyone besides Hand or Phelps.

​That'll be what happens, though.

Do they give Rienzo a shot at the 5th spot?

Rienzo will be competing for a rotation spot but he's on the outside looking in. Unless he absolutely dazzles there's no chance he's in the rotation. Phelps and Hand are ahead of him and that's only if Haren doesn't pitch because if he does, which as of yesterday is again leaning towards a yes, then Koehler is basically set as the fifth guy. Dare I say Koehler is locked into the rotation already? Barring unforeseen circumstances that's how I see it. Rienzo is basically the 8th starter now, 9th if you wanna count Jose.

As I predicted/hoped, Dan Haren "cleared the air" today at the first day of camp. Said he spoke with Redmond and is 100% committed to the Marlins this year, and that much of the media reports were speculation and rumors stemming from some comments he made last year which he never really had a chance to clarify throughout the offseason. Of note, he did say he had surgery in October that he wouldn't have even had if he wasn't going to pitch in 2015.

Hopefully this is the end of this story and we move on positively.