Jose Fernandez Statue - build it?

Jose Fernandez Statue - build it?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Jose Fernandez Statue - build it?

• Yes
    • No

Being responsible for killing two other people supersedes being a great pitcher my friend

Perhaps as a criminal defense lawyer I'm biased , but rescuing someone from drowning during the journey from Cuba, the work he did for children and for the community in Miami as well as his achievements on the field make it much more complicated than just that. To me all three were equally responsible for what happened. 

As I've said before, keep the ballplayer and the person separate. Make a statue of the ballplayer, the one the people loved, admired, respected, the one that brought joy to possibly millions of people. Probably the most exciting pitcher of my lifetime [admittedly I may be a little biased].

And again, I can absolutely understand both sides. However, I don't know about making a statue of the other two. But, I think an extra memorial note of them could be doable.

Perhaps as a criminal defense lawyer I'm biased , but rescuing someone from drowning during the journey from Cuba, the work he did for children and for the community in Miami as well as his achievements on the field make it much more complicated than just that. To me all three were equally responsible for what happened. 

and odds are you would sadly lose this case.

and for the record, the hero worship I dont get.

Its like we just ignore the way his life stupidly ended and gloss over all the circumstances around it cause he could pitch baseballs well for a few years. 

I'd rather they put up a statue of Dontrelle Willis, he contributed more to this franchise in reality.  

As I've said before, keep the ballplayer and the person separate. Make a statue of the ballplayer, the one the people loved, admired, respected, the one that brought joy to possibly millions of people. Probably the most exciting pitcher of my lifetime [admittedly I may be a little biased].

And again, I can absolutely understand both sides. However, I don't know about making a statue of the other two. But, I think an extra memorial note of them could be doable.

Putting up a statue sends the wrong damn message completely.  That it doesnt matter how terrible you are off the field, as long as you can perform great between the lines, everyone will literally ignore everything else.

Putting up a statue sends the wrong damn message completely.  That it doesnt matter how terrible you are off the field, as long as you can perform great between the lines, everyone will literally ignore everything else.

It's not just about how he performed, it's what he brought to the city, to the game, and to our hearts.

I can only speak for myself here, but I'm not ignoring his mistakes. I was a bit saddened to find out he had coke in his system [i figured alcohol would be], but I'm not going to judge him for those mistakes. I agree with Legacy, all three involved could be considered at fault, because regardless of who took the wheel, it would have most likely ended up the same way.

Again ... I can see both sides. I have my opinion, you have yours, everyone has theirs. Nothing will change.

So if Jose would of had alcohol in his system only then the statue is okay. But, since he had coke it's not? I truly do not understand that. Both are equally bad..

Build a statue for the other 2? All 3 are equally responsible imo. 

It's not the alcohol or the coke I think. It's being the driver of an accident that killed two other people that is the hard part. Everyone makes mistakes. If he died alone with those substances in his system people would have been sad but that's it. Being responsible for 2 other peoples deaths is what changes this.

I voted no, if your going to build a statue of him, better build two others for the other victims

lol

No.  You're doing it wrong. 

I voted yes. Unequivocally yes.  One night of horrible judgement does not negate the joy to the City Of Miami for his time as a Marlin. 

I voted No. Even if we put the whole drug things to the side. He pitched 1 full complete season in 2013. 2014 he was hurt. 2015 he pitched half a season and 2016 he pitched almost the full season. No question he had amazing talent and was very exciting to watch but he didn't play long.

RIP Jose you are missed but I don't think the statue is needed.

I will never forget Jose.

I will never forget how exciting he was.

I will never forget the positive spirit he lived with.

I love and respect Jose the player and person forever.

I honor him and still grieve for his death.

He should be honored and respected. Somehow. Forever.

But I voted "no". I do not believe any human should be worshipped in sculpted representation. And I do not believe in constructing statues of humans unless strictly for artistic expression. This is not ancient Egypt. He is not a Pharaoh.

Jose should be honored, respected, and loved. He will forever remain in my heart.

I think other ideas to honor him should be considered. It shouldn't just be "yes to statue or no". I believe an artistic mural as a tribute would be appropriate, for example. Somewhere in or outside the stadium. Showcasing his time with the Marlins and off the field contributions. And his determination to become an American. Not just a baseball player in America. A mural would also be able to express his positive spirit and vibrant livelihood more than a statue. His life and death should be honored openly and abundantly, but I do not believe a statue of him honors his contributions appropriately.  Statues idealize humans, his life and death need to be honored, and respected.

I vote no.

He didn't play for the Marlins long enough. He was probably going to be traded in a year or so anyway.

He meant a lot to the community, sure, but I don't think he was there long enough to be worthy of being immortalized by a statue. If he would have spent the remainder of his MLB career (say another 15 years) with another team, I doubt he would have gotten a statue in Miami.

I voted No. Even if we put the whole drug things to the side. He pitched 1 full complete season in 2013. 2014 he was hurt. 2015 he pitched half a season and 2016 he pitched almost the full season. No question he had amazing talent and was very exciting to watch but he didn't play long.

RIP Jose you are missed but I don't think the statue is needed.

This and he wasn't making much of an effort to stay in Miami.