Jose Fernandez Statue - build it?

Jose Fernandez Statue - build it?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Jose Fernandez Statue - build it?

• Yes
    • No

I really don't feel comfortable putting up a statue to a guy who got himself and two others killed because he decided to be incredibly reckless one day.

I do think a lot of this is because Loria was very close with Jose and I get the impression that losing him was like losing a son. But considering the circumstances of his death a statue is not at all appropriate.

Jose's loss had a huge impact on Loria and was one of the reasons he gave for selling the team now.  Actually I believe I mentioned it at his passing that I wouldn't be surprised if Loria would sell the team now.

BUT this all may be a moot point if the team is sold before the statute is done.  It appears it is not going to be Loria's team much longer.  So if not completed soon (or a clause in the contract) it may not happen.  And if done maybe the locale will change so it will be less prominent. 

Also, Dontrelle had just as much hype for his starts. I actually think his starts drew greater crowds, in part because the team was better. Dontrelle fell apart, but he was incredibly exciting when he started. His promotion to the big leagues made baseball in Miami exciting again. Casual fans would go to games just to watch the D-Train, just like many enjoyed watching Jose. 

I'm just bringing this analogy up to sort of prove the point that the statue is overkill. 

Also the feelings lessen as time goes on.  Sorry to say I forgot about the buzz when the D-Train pitched.  And even after he left here I tried to follow what he was doing elsewhere.   Unfortunately time will probably erase the buzz we felt every fifth day when Jose pitched.  :-(

Of course they should build the statue.Also he didn't kill anyone because everyone was drunk and everyone decided to go out on their own.Someone had to drive the boat.

No, I disagree. Someone did not have to drive the boat. No, he did not kill anyone directly, but his actions led directly to their deaths. Yes, they were also drunk, yes they decided to go out, no they did not die of alcohol poisoning.

Of course they should build the statue.Also he didn't kill anyone because everyone was drunk and everyone decided to go out on their own.Someone had to drive the boat.

If I am driving my car, drunk, and I run over someone partying on the street in South Beach, also drunk, did I not kill them just because they were also drunk and shouldn't have been crossing the street?

If I am driving my car, drunk, and I run over someone partying on the street in South Beach, also drunk, did I not kill them just because they were also drunk and shouldn't have been crossing the street?

Were Jose's friends having a drunken picnic on the jetty when Jose tried to jump it?

SB Edition:

Excuse me, sir, but your comparison is unfair. In your hypothetical situation, the two victims are not in the same vehicle as the driver. Jose victims were on the same vessel. While I agree with you that all three deaths are the fault of Jose, or operator the of the vessel, your comparison is inequitable. 

I wouldn't build it- but I'd do something else. 

Figure out a way to have an"monument park" like area at marlins park- to honor all the great former marlins. Maybe in the outfield beside the fox sports section, or renovate one of the useless concession stands that routinely apprear closed. 

Have some memorabilia- like pin guys vest, CJ's catchers gear, Livans jersey, Mike Lowells glove- and Joses locker, taken/ cut from the locker room and relocated and bronzed. 

Place a donation box in there's for MADD or some other foundation for substance abuse and rotate the other game used items every month. 

You don't have to have a statue to honor him, but you don't have to honor just him. 

if you wont retire jersey numbers, honor those from the past along side him

Please elaborate... I'd love to know where this one is going.

It's only an analogy. The post is comparing driving drunk and running over drunk people partying on the road to Jose's situation. So the analogy would be Jose would be driving the boat drunk and running over drunk people partying on the jetty. He is saying this is not the case, the analogy is ludicrous. He is not saying that is what happened. He is saying the exact opposite. But it is an intriguing story.

Good question. Makes u wonder what Jeb-ter think of the statue idea and of how to honor Jose in general.

My guess is that they wouldn't be too thrilled about it, but wouldn't do anything to stop a project far along in the pipeline. The statue is Loria's pet project.

I have a feeling that the statue is all about Loria's wishes. It's clear that the Jose passing affected him greatly, but he's kind of overreacting and building a statue that nobody seems to want besides him.

The Herald conducted a poll and I think that the results were similar to those in this thread, if not leaning a little more towards "don't build it."

The statue seems to be the wrong PR move, but that has never once stopped Loria since he's owned the team.

It's only an analogy. The post is comparing driving drunk and running over drunk people partying on the road to Jose's situation. So the analogy would be Jose would be driving the boat drunk and running over drunk people partying on the jetty. He is saying this is not the case, the analogy is ludicrous. He is not saying that is what happened. He is saying the exact opposite. But it is an intriguing story.

I know, but it's squall so there's no telling where the story was going next and I'm dying to know.

Definitely feels like Loria is doing it because he treated Jose like a son and that's all nice and sweet on a personal level but it's awkward when it obviously becomes a public memorial. It's like the statue isn't for us, it's for Loria and he just decided to leave it out in the open.

Pretty much. That's why I'm soured by the whole thing.

Samson's comments to the media indicate that the Marlins don't give a fuck what the community thinks. Jeffrey will build his statue no matter what.

I know, but it's squall so there's no telling where the story was going next and I'm dying to know.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. A good conspiracy is that they were all on the boat and one of them said drunkenly, "hey Jose can you jump the jetty?", and Jose said "don't try me, watch..." or something similar. That's an interesting possibility considering cocaine can make you feel invincible and all-powerful according to what I read about it. Mixed with alcohol... who knows.

I have a feeling that the statue is all about Loria's wishes. It's clear that the Jose passing affected him greatly, but he's kind of overreacting and building a statue that nobody seems to want besides him. 

What a bizarre leap to make (even by your standards). 

Tell you what, I'm open minded- have a sick sense of humor- have said some crazy things....

A Jose statue is in poor taste considering the circumstances of his death, regardless of who was driving. It's a cautionary tale that should be told, but a statue memorial is a big leap that should be reserved for the most influential, legendary or tragic of circumstances.

Griffey in Seattle saving their team, Thomas winning mvps and winning the World Series,

Clemente passing on a humanitarian aid mission after having  legendary and historical career

puckett in MIN after passing and after his hof career. 

Point is he majority of these statues had careers that spans decades or met a tragic end due to no fault of their own. 

Nevermind Carews daughter for passing from cancer in Anaheim, or the father who fell to his death in Texas. Two other cases that were tragic but not self inflicted. 

Joses lasting legacy in this community is going to be how his death helps others to be smart about their partying- but his playing career was like a shooting star- beautiful but brief, bright yet depressing. 

He had potential to do great things but like Icarus he flew too close to the sun and paid the ultimate price before he can come to grips with his mortality. 

But why should a life size statue be how we celebrate his life and show others how to learn from his mistakes? 

I really hope they change their mind and figure out another way to do this.