Marlins trade Nick Anderson and Trevor Richards

4 hours ago, GatorsfortheMarlins said:

This is crazy talk. Gallen is a stud. Definite number 2 and borderline 1. Have you watched him pitch this year. 

He sure is that for Arizona's crappy staff!

2 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

I think that has to do with the fact they both talked shit about the Marlins after they left. Very classless.

I don't root against them necessarily, but I definitely don't cheer them on. 

Pretty much this.

3 hours ago, CoastieMike said:

Im not sure if Miami knew Anderson would turn out to be so "dominant" when they traded him. He's been stellar at TB.

Eh, maybe, but maybe not. I think if you can ever trade a reliever -- especially one that's guaranteed to never transition into a starting role -- for an everyday player, you make that trade. Heck, even the Yankees traded Chapman once the Cubs dangled Gleyber Torres. It's not the exact same situation, but relievers are nonetheless volatile fellas and good position players are building blocks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EricOwens! said:

Pretty sure everyone liked the Anderson trade.

I also don't get why people root against guys that were traded. I see it a lot with Stanton and Yelich. Very weird.

It is totally weird.   I think with Stanton though it’s not so much that they’re rooting against him as much as it is that they’re feeling validation.  When his salary was dumped it was an opportunity to move a massive future liability off the books coming off a record year for him.  A lot of people thought he’d struggle to repeat that and stay healthy.  He was excellent in year one with the Yankees but the last two have been plagued by injury. Imagine the frustration if he was taking up Marlins payroll all that time.  So I think it’s more relief than it is an “in your face” to him personally. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

I think that has to do with the fact they both talked shit about the Marlins after they left. Very classless.

I don't root against them necessarily, but I definitely don't cheer them on. 

The Marlins were a God awful organization. Stanton wanted to compete, new ownership said sorry and shipped him out. Stanton did nothing wrong and deserves to talk shit. Wasted 8 years here.

Yelich didnt want to waste his best years on a rebuilding team, and the Marlins probably would've traded him eventually. He's allowed to talk shit, wasted like 6 years here.

We talk shit about ownership all the time but a former player does and everyone acts shocked. 

10 hours ago, EricOwens! said:

The Marlins were a God awful organization. Stanton wanted to compete, new ownership said sorry and shipped him out. Stanton did nothing wrong and deserves to talk shit. Wasted 8 years here.

Yelich didnt want to waste his best years on a rebuilding team, and the Marlins probably would've traded him eventually. He's allowed to talk shit, wasted like 6 years here.

We talk shit about ownership all the time but a former player does and everyone acts shocked. 

But both of those guys talked shit about the current ownership instead of the old one when the old one was the shit show that "wasted" their years here. Unprofessional. 

Also there are countless legendary players who played on shit teams for years. Players aren't entitled to be on championship teams. A guy like Tony Gwynn would laugh at someone like Stanton Yelich or Realmuto complaining that they spent some time on a losing team. 

Fyi Yelich later gave a bit of an apology to this new ownership but nobody seems to remember that. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

It's hilarious because he's about to be doing exactly that anyways.

Yep. Such a stupid thing for players to say especially guys in the first parts of their careers. For like 90% of the teams contention can be hit or miss from one year to the next, a winning team this year could be total shit next year and vice versa. If anyone has the right to say those things it's a veteran in the later part of their career who has never been on a contender who might say they're looking to play for a more immediate contender before retirement. That's different.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I'll admit that I forgot about the apology.

Because nobody covered it. I can't even seem to find it looking for it now but I clearly remember it happening. I wanna say it was when Yelich returned to Miami for the first time as a Brewer and it was said that Yelich reached out to Marlins ownership to apologize for the way things were handled. 

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Because nobody covered it. I can't even seem to find it looking for it now but I clearly remember it happening. I wanna say it was when Yelich returned to Miami for the first time as a Brewer and it was said that Yelich reached out to Marlins ownership to apologize for the way things were handled. 

Nobody covered it probably cause it didn't fit the narrative of negativity towards us. (shrug)

Reading between the lines, their anger at the new ownership was mainly because they saw signs that they were the same as the Loria regime. They came in here a tore everything down and didnt want to spend any money (rightfully). And up until this point Sherman hasnt spent any money (rightfully), so I can't say Yelich/Stanton's anger was misguided yet. 

And anyway, they were going to be traded regardless. I don't really care about comments made after they left. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

Reading between the lines, their anger at the new ownership was mainly because they saw signs that they were the same as the Loria regime.

I suppose this is fair. As you said, it was "rightfully" done. The biggest difference now is that the Sherman regime is building up a farm system and actually putting things into the park for fan experience and all that. Loria regime never did that or tried to do that. Was too impatient to make it work. If we realized in 14, 16, and 17 to not trade away those prospects, then we're looking at a much different story here most likely.

9 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

I don't really care about comments made after they left. 

That was the answer to why people crapped on them, though. We're salty. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricOwens! said:

And up until this point Sherman hasnt spent any money...

I don't think that's quite the case. They've not opened their purse for big ticket free agents, but they have maxed out their spending in all the (non-COVID) drafts, and they have poured millions into getting top international prospects. They also bit the bullet on Wei-Yin Chen's contract and haven't forced other teams to take contracts in their recent trades (imagine if they didn't get Lewin Díaz because they forced the Twins to take Chen or Prado).

So they're definitely spending, but just not in the obvious ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricOwens! said:

And up until this point Sherman hasnt spent any money

Not big money but he has spent some in terms of going above slot in the draft and going into the international market. Those are small things of course, but good signs. The previous regime ignored the international market and didn't go above slot IIRC.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:11 PM, EricOwens! said:

Pretty sure everyone liked the Anderson trade.

I also don't get why people root against guys that were traded. I see it a lot with Stanton and Yelich. Very weird.

Yeah, I dont remember anyone on this board actually being legitimately upset over trading Anderson.  Gallen - a few were upset but I think most of us understood why the trade was made? I don't remember 100% what I said last year about Gallen - I think it's pretty much what I'm sticking with now. I would have preferred to keep him but at the same time I understand what they were trying to do in acquiring Jazz so i'm not pissed like I was with the Yelich trade once upon a time.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, SilverBullet said:

Gallen, at his best, might be out of the game 5 years from now

Nobody cares I'm sure but I take this back because I hadn't looked closely at Gallen's work in the last year until today and yea he sure seems more legit than I gave him credit for. If Jazz is our starting shortstop for much of the next decade then the trade was still a good one but I think I'm downplaying Gallen more than I should.

https://www.mlb.com/news/d-backs-zac-gallen-performing-like-an-ace