Starling Marte Acquired, Villar, Smith & Mejia Traded, Diaz Opts In

Admin

28 minutes ago, Michael said:

Here's my thoughts right now ...

Do we NEED to buy bullpen arms?

Everyone has been reinstated, so here's who we'll have coming back soon:

Sandy (starter so one person goes to bullpen)

Caleb (starter so one more person goes to bullpen)

Stanek

Vesia

Neidert

Holloway

Yimi Garcia

Urena (yes I know)

Brigham

We've got A LOT of pitchers coming back SOON.

Hoyt has been effective. Tarpley looked pretty good last time out (last night). Bleier is back and he looked good before injury.

So ... do we ABSOLUTELY HAVE to go get bullpen arms? Can this not be a case of, "our best acquisitions will be the returns from the IL"?

Our rotation soon will be Pablo, Sixto, Sandy, Caleb, Elieser. Mejia and Castano can either be optioned or go to the bullpen (Castano most likely to the alternate site and Mejia to bullpen).

I don't know if we need to be buyers - don't sell, either, just kind of ... stand pat and let these guys return.

If they plan on contending, yeah they could use a bullpen arm. None of our middle relievers are legit high leverage guys that every contender needs to have. 

Also, not that he’s the worst option in the world, but you never really know with Kintzler. It’d be good to have a fallback option for a closer that pitches to contact more often than not.

1 minute ago, Erick said:

If they plan on contending, yeah they could use a bullpen arm. None of our middle relievers are legit high leverage guys that every contender needs to have. 

Also, not that he’s the worst option in the world, but you never really know with Kintzler. It’d be good to have a fallback option for a closer that pitches to contact more often than not.

This is fair.

I like the idea of getting a bullpen arm this deadline as long as A) it’s not a complete overpay & B) they have multiple years of team control 

If you look at the next 2-3 years, we don’t have a ton of impact bullpen options in the organization. Vesia is a nice piece, Guzman & Holloway could be nice. That’s about it. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to targeting a guy that can help us this year, and also in the next 2-3 years 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

I like the idea of getting a bullpen arm this deadline as long as A) it’s not a complete overpay & B) they have multiple years of team control 

If you look at the next 2-3 years, we don’t have a ton of impact bullpen options in the organization. Vesia is a nice piece, Guzman & Holloway could be nice. That’s about it. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to targeting a guy that can help us this year, and also in the next 2-3 years 

Staumont could fit that role but his long term numbers kinda worry me. He was a starter for a long while in the minors, lots and lots of walks.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Those are different. If you're wearing a Stanton or Sheffield jersey in 2020 I'd believe you telling me that you are actually a Marlins fan.

If you are wearing a Pudge or Reyes jersey in 2020 that tells me you haven't watched a Marlins game since 2003 or you haven't visited Marlins Park since your neighbor invited you to a game in 2012.

What if you are wearing a nameless jersey with the current colors?

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Here's my thoughts right now ...

Do we NEED to buy bullpen arms?

Everyone has been reinstated, so here's who we'll have coming back soon:

Sandy (starter so one person goes to bullpen)

Caleb (starter so one more person goes to bullpen)

Stanek

Vesia

Neidert

Holloway

Yimi Garcia

Urena (yes I know)

Brigham

We've got A LOT of pitchers coming back SOON.

Hoyt has been effective. Tarpley looked pretty good last time out (last night). Bleier is back and he looked good before injury.

So ... do we ABSOLUTELY HAVE to go get bullpen arms? Can this not be a case of, "our best acquisitions will be the returns from the IL"?

Our rotation soon will be Pablo, Sixto, Sandy, Caleb, Elieser. Mejia and Castano can either be optioned or go to the bullpen (Castano most likely to the alternate site and Mejia to bullpen).

I don't know if we need to be buyers - don't sell, either, just kind of ... stand pat and let these guys return.

I agree to an extent - depends if we stay in it too.

I could ultimately see them doing a bit of both buying and selling.  Selling some of the short term guys if they get enough, and buying some longer term pieces.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Staumont could fit that role but his long term numbers kinda worry me. He was a starter for a long while in the minors, lots and lots of walks.

Completely agree. That’s why the price has to be right. Don’t buy super high on any of these guys, especially ones with a small sample size 

I'm probably in the minority on this but I think we should make Caleb Smith and Jose Urena available to the highest bidders at this trade deadline.  Caleb should bring back a nice return as there are plenty of teams in need of starting pitchers and he is still under control for a couple of more seasons. 

We have 9 pitchers that can start.  Alcantra, Sanchez, Lopez, Hernandez and Rogers can man the rotation.  Neidert, Castano, Mejia and Dugger can fill in and handle the double headers.  

Thoughts???

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

I'm probably in the minority on this but I think we should make Caleb Smith and Jose Urena available to the highest bidders at this trade deadline.  Caleb should bring back a nice return as there are plenty of teams in need of starting pitchers and he is still under control for a couple of more seasons. 

We have 9 pitchers that can start.  Alcantra, Sanchez, Lopez, Hernandez and Rogers can man the rotation.  Neidert, Castano, Mejia and Dugger can fill in and handle the double headers.  

Thoughts???

Totally agree 

18 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

Thoughts???

I think you'd be more in the minority of saying to trade Pablo or Elieser. I think all of us are fine trading Caleb and/or Urena.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I think you'd be more in the minority of saying to trade Pablo or Elieser. I think all of us are fine trading Caleb and/or Urena.

I just figured people would be hesitant since we are im contention.

I'd love to pry away Clint Frazier from the Yankees.  They need starting pitching help and they have a surplus of OF when healthy.

8 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

I just figured people would be hesitant since we are im contention.

I'd love to pry away Clint Frazier from the Yankees.  They need starting pitching help and they have a surplus of OF when healthy.

That conversation probably starts with Pablo, TBH.

11 hours ago, Vic D said:

I wouldn't trade a damn thing for a reliever. We have so many options at our disposal to put in the pen. Would be a total waste imo.

I wouldn’t underestimate the importance of a dependable reliever. We don’t make the playoffs without Urbina in 2003. 

• Like 2