Hot Stove (2021-2022 offseason)

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

You don't know if this is true, nobody does.

Then he is incredibly incompetent as is his GM for a laundry list of easy moves that should have been made going back to before last season began.  Only other option is he'll always be cheap then even if fans do show up. 

I can't wait for...

"We think we have enough to compete until the trade deadline and reevaluate our needs then..."

It's over. There is no one coming. I don't see how they feasibly double back and get Castellanos. And wow...I didn't even consider what you said @Michael ...Reynolds...Mullins... all shoot up in cost.

Get ready for the Bleday marketing campaign that is right around the corner: "CATCH THIS FISH"

"HOOKED ON BASEBALL"

"SWIMMING TO OCTOBER"

Edited by Major-Minor

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

It's also possible the guy who wanted to really preserve/hoard the farm was Jeter more than Sherman especially if we believe the rumors that Jeter wanted more money in free agency and less interest in big trades.

If Sherman has his way I would think he prefers trades more than reckless free agency.

Maybe, but either way he needs to prove it.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Sell the team to someone who will know what's necessary to be a MLB owner these days

Yeah, if we can never sign a guy to a 100M deal, then there's no point.  Even the Rays are doing close to 200M extensions/deals.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I wonder if Reynolds plus Conforto is being considered.

I would love Reynolds and would consider that a win but Reynolds plus Castellanos/Conforto/maybe someone else would feel like a real big win and a real statement and a real step forward.

Do it.  Do SOMETHING - and not the usual Marlins something of the cheap scrap heap guys that we're now more connected to.

31 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

Does Sherman realize he will be perceived as a hero if he:

Signs Castellanos

Trades for Reynolds or Laureano/Kemp package (Call it Meyer, Cabrera, Burdick, and a nice 4th piece). This keeps Pablo

Dump Aguilar/Cooper and Bass to clear payroll

Sign Kenley or some other good arm

Team is $90 million and the top 5 prospects are Watson, Eury, Sixto, Bleday, and Salas.

He's a hero. It's that easy. Hero.

Yes, we'd all be happy if this happened.

I'd be even happier if you throw Correa on top of that, but that's a pipe dream.

23 minutes ago, Major-Minor said:

I can't wait for...

"We think we have enough to compete until the trade deadline and reevaluate our needs then..."

It's over. There is no one coming. I don't see how they feasibly double back and get Castellanos. And wow...I didn't even consider what you said @Michael ...Reynolds...Mullins... all shoot up in cost.

Get ready for the Bleday marketing campaign that is right around the corner: "CATCH THIS FISH"

"HOOKED ON BASEBALL"

"SWIMMING TO OCTOBER"

Agreed, it's going to be too late by then.

6 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Yeah. This cycle of looking to the future needs to end. We have a big league squad that is close to contention. Time to trade some prized prospects for a guy who can help now. It isn’t like Reynolds is a rental either, he would be here for years.

The farm can be rebuilt even if it was damaged. Meanwhile we can be winning in the bigs which is supposed to be the ultimate goal anyway. 

And like @hovertical said in another thread, if they refuse to trade prospects -- they NEED to sign productive free agents. Doing neither isn't an option.

Agreed.....waiting longer destroys what little is left of the fanbase, I'm sorry. The die-hards are ready to bail and not care anymore, and they're tone deaf if they don't understand that. I hope someone in the FO reads the few Marlins forums to get a pulse of fans.

It's just stupid. This forever moving target of "we'll try and be good in year 2022, no 2023, no 2024, no 2025, no 2026" is beyond old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

Also, pretty sure any GM would have gladly offered the big money to Correa,Bryant, etc if their owner had simply said they don't care what it costs - just go get me those guys. It ALWAYS goes back to the money. I'm sure Ng would love to have been given the green light to bump payroll to the 150mil range or something that would really have made this a title contending team.

no shit.

thats the real issue end of day!

yeah, dont see Castellanos coming here anymore.  I don't think they'll complete a trade for Reynolds, Mullins, or Laureano either.  I think they WILL trade for someone but it won't be a name we've really focused on and it'll seem like an overpay for what they acquire and we'll all be irked they didn't just part with some slightly better prospects to get a MLB ready bat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

Also, pretty sure any GM would have gladly offered the big money to Correa,Bryant, etc if their owner had simply said they don't care what it costs - just go get me those guys. It ALWAYS goes back to the money. I'm sure Ng would love to have been given the green light to bump payroll to the 150mil range or something that would really have made this a title contending team.

Doesn't even need to be 150m. They could compete for 100. Sherman isn't even willing to do THAT

Conforto is an ok corner outfielder, probably 1b is his best defensive position.

Always figured Conforto would be smart to take a short term deal in a more offensive friendly home ballpark to restablish his value and then hit the market again next winter, so we shall see, cause honestly his bat last year was quite frankly bad, he picked a real bad time to look like total trash at the plate. 

He should honestly take some of the Angelos family money if they are willing to fork over a few million for a bat and see if he can just mash in that band box they play in!

But we shall see.  

10 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Doesn't even need to be 150m. They could compete for 100. Sherman isn't even willing to do THAT

Oh i know, and they don't even NEED to get anywhere near that for this to be a truly great team. Literally a 100mil payroll would field a fantastic team and they's still have a top 5 farm system to boot with loads of controlled years left. 

But hey, he's just gonna keep it cheap and rake in the money instead.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed.....waiting longer destroys what little is left of the fanbase, I'm sorry. The die-hards are ready to bail and not care anymore, and they're tone deaf if they don't understand that. I hope someone in the FO reads the few Marlins forums to get a pulse of fans.

It's just stupid. This forever moving target of "we'll try and be good in year 2022, no 2023, no 2024, no 2025, no 2026" is beyond old.

Thank you, this resonated big-time. I’m super frustrated at the blend of idiocy and/or cheapness displayed so far.

The problem the marlins have is they’re only in on these hitters / FA’s on short term deals. No offensive player is coming to Miami with our cavernous park to play on a 1 year deal with the intent of raising their market value. 

Colorado? Sure. Cincy? Maybe. Miami, hell no. They HAVE to know this. Their strategy is backwards 

Edited by marlins_09

6 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

The problem the marlins have is they’re only in on these hitters / FA’s on short term deals. No offensive player is coming to Miami with our cavernous park to play on a 1 year deal with the intent of raising their market value. 

Colorado? Sure. Cincy? Maybe. Miami, hell no. They HAVE to know this. Their strategy is backwards 

Nobody is coming here because the marlins aren't seriously trying to sign them. Thats literally all it is

• Like 4