Everything posted by Henry Jones
-
Zack Hample
That guy looks like a total douche bag. I've always been from the school that believes when you get to be a certain age (16?) bringing a glove to the game gets a little dorky. This too. Also from the blog FYI: I'm here with my girlfriend (Jona), Pretty much proves there is pretty much somebody for everyone, even the dweeby losers who spend their free time traveling the world stealing baseballs from little children while living in his parent's basement at age 32. If I wasn't dating someone, I'd be really really depressed right now.
- Zack Hample
-
Armando Benitez
Say, when's Ugueth Urbina's prison sentence up?
-
6/19 Marlins vs Rays
So, not only are they spreading those obnoxious horns over here, but they're also spreading the horrible officiating.... Regardless, some good defense right now.
-
conference expansion and reallignment
Iowa State is and always will be a joke. Possibly the worst program in college football history. They are getting Texas' scraps and they couldn't be happier. Personally, i think they would have flourished and actually won a conference title in a smaller conference like the MAC or C-USA. Still can't believe they fired McCarney.. Still beats Iowa almost every other year, so what's that say about Iowa?
-
Favorite Marlins Moments
The infamous "Bartman" inning for personal reasons. I seriously had a roommate who was a die-hard Cubs fan at the time, and the afternoon before, I told him there was going to be a Buckner-like infamous play in the game that turn everything into the Marlins' favor. Sure enough, it happened. When my housemate came back from watching the game with his friends, the conversation went like this: "Buckner." "**** you." "Fair enough."
-
conference expansion and reallignment
Its very arrogant on the partof the Big 12 to break up the whole conference just because 1 team is leaving. The evidence just doesn't support Nebraska being as important as the conference thinks it is. Are they going bankrupt because Nebraska hasn't been a NC contender in 10 years or whatever its been? No. So they would get buy just fine without them. The Big East is fine without UM, VT and BC. It lost 3 teams and survived. So what's the difference? Why are you guys bringing the ACC and SEC into this conversation when nobody else has? Nebraska is as big as Texas when it comes to the fandom. They sell out EVERYWHERE they go because their fans travel well and fans of the home team want to see them go down in flames. Husker Nation is a fanaticism you cannot begin to imagine (Because in most other states, you have a choice in what team to be a fan of. Here, indoctrination is simply a way of life). It's a big deal to have them in your conference. I hate Nebraska. I went to Iowa State just to get away from this nonsense for a few years, and I pretty much was the one happy person in the state of Nebraska when Iowa State upset them last year. But to underestimate just how much they mean to a conference as far as money and fandom means you don't understand them. The spring scrimmage game is a genuine EVENT that completely sells out the stadium. Even in the Callahan era, it was a party to beat these guys. Whatever fanaticism you guys have about "The U," double it and maybe you'll get a glimpse of how big Nebraska is. But to give an idea just how much money will be lost in this endeavor should the Big 12 fall, Big 12 teams get $9 million from TV deals and the like whereas the Mountain West only pays out $3.2 million. The Big Ten hands out $25 million thanks to their network. There are rumored negotiations for the Big 12 with Fox that's upwards of $17 million...... but in these matters, everyone's heard rumors saying 10 different things (Sometimes at once). I can hope Iowa State lands well. Even if they wind up in a mid-major and have short-term problems of lost income and recruiting, it can be a help to an athletic department that's building tradition after sadly being a cesspool for 30 years. It's not much now I'll admit, but even in the worst of times, we're still beating the Hawkeyes around every other year these days, so we're not doing too badly even during Chizik's two years. Anyway, Big 10, if anything else, at least enjoy the extra two wins your basketball teams will get from Nebraska every year.
- 6/11 - Marlins @ Rays
-
6/5/10 Post Game
All this waiting for Mike Stanton reminds me of dragon ball z with everybody waiting for Goku to come and kick Frieza's ass. lol. I remember that! I really can't wait until Stanton comes up and replaces Maybin but more so, I just want everything to start clicking. I feel like, to some extent, we have all the pieces to be an above .500 team but they just haven't started working in synchronicity. Synchronicity - I'm totally adding that to my vocabulary. I need to dig out my Synchronicity CD by The Police Ghost in the Machine has always been my favorite Police album. Synchronicity got a little too........ creepy for me.
-
6/5/10 Post Game
All this waiting for Mike Stanton reminds me of dragon ball z with everybody waiting for Goku to come and kick Frieza's ass. lol. So are you implying we are waiting for Stanton to get........ wait for it....... OVER 9,000!? I'm a dork, I know.
-
Fox Sat game of the week
Yeah, Nebraska's next to Missouri, so having St. Louis on is a no-brainer. I guess by national broadcast, they mean the Tri-State area and Miami. The only games I get are WGN and ESPN (Which adds up to about 3 games a year). But since MLB.TV games can know be hooked up through my PS3 where I can watch them on my HDTV, that might be changing soon. Do they have mid-season deals on MLB.TV?
-
6/2 - Marlins vs Brewers
That deserves a Scott Bakula "Oh boy....."
-
Black Jerseys
I like the black, though that has to be the LEAST ideal color for Florida in the summertime.
-
5/29 Post Game
Really, some fire needs to be lit under some asses right now, and if this doesn't do it, it doesn't matter when you're calling up Stanton because Stanton's not a panacea and he's not going to be 50 HRs 120 RBIs when he gets here, which is what he'd have to be to make a difference with the team as it is right now. Plain and simple. Credit to Roy and the Phillies, but this kind of uninspired play cannot stand if they want to stay in it. I'm not a person who wants to shake everything to hell, but they've gotta' want it. Right now, they don't.
-
RE: The season is over...
hahahaha Captain Picard would never curse. Ok, he did say hell a few times. If the bullpen isn't gutted, then the season is over. Don't forget "damn." Anyway, what should I put here? Uh, rage rage rage, overreaction to the first bullpen meltdown I've seen this year that actually cost us a game (Not saying they didn't happen by any means, but apart from when the Marlins came back and won the early season Mets game where the bullpen screwed up, this is the first I've seen). Whatever. It's my birthday, and I'm almost off work, which means whatever I may feel about tonight's game, it's going to be gone in two hours....
-
May 16th Mets at Marlins
Mr. Coghlan, welcome back. We've missed you.
-
Meyer Activated; Jones to AAA
I've had a person without a license drive me home because I was too drunk to get myself home (His license was revoked because his insurance dropped him without telling him while still taking his money, which is around when he got pulled over for some random deal). Truly, this man is a villain and his after-hours distain for the law should cost him his job. EDIT: Oh, and if I didn't pay a ticket for parking more than 12" away from the curb (I live in Nebraska. They have time to do this), I'd have a warrant for my arrest. What matters is exactly WHAT the warrants in the two other countries are for. There's a difference between traffic violations and, oh, I don't know, chasing around your plantation workers with a machete and using gasoline to set them on fire.
-
5/10 Post Game
I was just watching the MLB at bat thing during downtime at work, but when the Marlins got a run or two off Cubs fielding problems, it felt like old times.
-
How will FO react if we are in last come end of May ?
Seriously, I would rather have a team that's doing okay now and then turning on the jets later than a team that's great now with ESPN doing their "Are the Marlins FOR REAL?!" talking points, and then dropping out silently at the end. This team has some work to do, but fortunately, everyone in the NL East in the same situation. There are points where they've looked extremely sharp, and times where it looked like everyone got hit in the crotch with a sledge hammer before the games started. The Phillies that hammered the Nats and Astros to start the season were very quiet until today's game against the Mets. The Mets were struggling to start, and now are at the top. The Nats in the past two weeks aren't being as much like the Nats we know and love. The only team that's just kinda' there is Atlanta, and they've had their moments. Everyone in the NL East is still in it, and it's a matter of who wants to straighten up and fly right, and the Marlins easily have some of the best potential to do so. Of course, potential over results has been the problem with Marlins teams the past few years. But every one of the starters has had brilliant innings and horrid innings. We've had complete game and near complete game masterpieces followed by shellings. Hitting has a couple weak links, but if we can get Coughlin back up to snuff and Maybin up a couple notches, really, the only truly serious weaknesses are fielding and middle relief, and the piece of middle that REALLY hurt, Veras, is out of the picture. The middle relief lately has been okay (I'd hesitate to say "good," but I've seen much worse out of the Marlins), and really their big problem is sometimes they're already down large when it gets to them. I'm not a Pinto fan at all and I'd say he's been doing fine after a slow start. Fielding is a more frustrating deal, but it's one of those things that gets better as the season goes along, albeit not nearly as quickly as most would like. We lost 7-1 to the Nats yesterday and are in position to win 7-1 tonight. That's the NL East right now, and we're in okay shape. 2.0 games out in May is no need for panic and I don't see any need for panic until at least mid-June. It's baseball. It's the biggest rollercoaster in sports, and the Marlins are the ones with the highest climbs, the biggest drops, and the most hurl-inducing corkscrews. If you have a weak stomach, buddy, did you back the wrong team.
- Stanton Watch
-
Marlins ranking on MLB the show 2010
MLB 10 The Show is the sickest game ever! Started up a season with the Fish and playing all Grapefruit league games... I just figured out the pitching its tough! Can't hit either... Yeah, my created pitcher is just now not constantly throwing "Oh sh*t....." pitches and not striking out every time at the plate. However, the moment he's decent enough for the big leagues, I get the worst message you can get. "You have been traded to the Washington Nationals." Seriously, I get two runs worth of support if I'm lucky......
-
The Teal Monster is no more!
Did Roger Dorn buy up the Marlins? I'm looking for the bail bonds ad....
-
Marlins open tryouts
I'm guessing Dominican Republic. EDIT: Oops, got beaten to it.
-
This bullpen makes me want to ________
..... go to the training menu and assign points to their BB/9 stats..... but then again, I AM a dork....
-
The Dragon...
The problem with the Marlins is that it seems whoever is doling out a number of the nicknames isn't very creative. They have a thing for taking their last name or part of it and adding a "y at the end or some variation. I suspect Jack McKeon is behind many of them as this was one of his things. Those that I have heard in the past include: Anibal Sanchez: Sanchy Chris Volstad: Volly Emilio Bonifacio: Bonny I am probably forgetting some. Of course a number of players are exempt because they already have names that end with a "y" - Hanley, Ricky, etc. There are some good ones though. My favorite has to be Ronny Paulino's nickname - "The Caveman". I do like calling RVH "Dutchie" rather than the Holland Hammer or whatever, though obviously that has nothing to do with his name. It's just more fun. And I would've figured Uggla would be stamped with the nickname "The Caveman" considering his last name. When I first got wind of this guy playing for the Marlins, I started calling him "Unfrozen Caveman Baseball Player." Not a knock on his intelligence, looks, or personality. Just the name.