Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins may become sellers

Featured Replies

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/marlins-could-become-sellers.html

 

 

Marlins Could Become Sellers

 

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 17, 2012 at 2:23pm CST]

 

The Marlins have let opposing teams know they may be in sell mode later this month if they don't turn their season around, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports (on Twitter). The Marlins will be willing to discuss every player on their roster, including Giancarlo Stanton, Josh Johnsonand Omar Infante, if they decide to sell, Olney wrote earlier today.

 

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com writes that the Marlins would listen to offers for Stanton and others, but points out that a long-term extension for the young slugger is more likely. We shouldn't expect Stanton to go anywhere, but Anibal Sanchez and Randy Choate could be traded, Frisaro writes. The Marlins haven’t made any players untouchable, though some are unlikely to be traded, Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel adds (on Twitter).

 

Miami has played to a disappointing 43-46 record after generating considerable hype leading up to the 2012 season. They signed Jose Reyes, Heath Bell and Mark Buehrle, added manager Ozzie Guillen, moved to a new stadium, and changed their team name and uniform during the 2011-12 offseason.

And my disgust for this teams ownership continues.

 

 

Why? This is exactly what they should be doing. The team sucks. They tried, but it sucks.

And my disgust for this teams ownership continues.

 

 

Why? This is exactly what they should be doing. The team sucks. They tried, but it sucks.

 

THANK YOU!!!! 100% AGREE!

  • Author

And my disgust for this teams ownership continues.

 

 

Why? This is exactly what they should be doing. The team sucks. They tried, but it sucks.

 

Agreed. Everyone not named Giancarlo Stanton needs to be up for sale.

I'm calling BS on this, there's absolutely no way the Marlins are parting with Stanton. I doubt very seriously they could even move Reyes, If they are sellers I could see Infante, Choate or Dobbs, but I can't even comprehend how anyone could put any credibility to trading Stanton.

If Loria wants to go down as the most hated manager in baseball, then by all means sell Stanton. We can't get rid of Stanton...he is the best thing to come along for this team in years. I'd rather see Hanley go than Stanton.

Very few teams have a farm system strong enough to get Stanton. Texas Rangers are one of the few that do, but I highly doubt they'd be willing to give up what it would take.

 

Also, for those crying, the Marlins have one of the weakest farms in baseball, it has to be restocked somehow.. Start w/Anibal, Hanley, JJ and see how dumb teams get over Stanton.

Sell Anibal. You'd be selling low on JJ and Hanley, so I wouldn't want to move them right now.

Only way this team trades Stanton now is if ya know, we have our way with the other teams roster, farm system, and cash...yes, the King's Ransom deal. Just f*** the other team over...you want Stanton...make a deal that would make Marlins fans go 'OH MY GOD, LORIA JUST f***ED THE OTHER TEAM OVER LOLZ YES OH GAWD YEEEEEEEEES'

 

SportsCenter breaking news: Marlins trade Stanton, but f*** the other team over lulz.

 

 

I ain't even mad...these players want to play liek sh*t, fire sale...how dare you asses go 43-46..how dare you...Imma high five Loria. Tiem to *beep* other teams. Ransom deal for JJ and Hnaley now, f***ers, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea.

 

:wee

The problem with selling is that you generally look to sell players when they are overperforming, getting the most value you can from your players. We really don't have any players doing better than their abilities.

 

Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante are the only two players I could see trading that would make sense, as they would net us the type of prospects that they are worth (although I think we'd be selling a tiny bit low on Anibal).

The problem with selling is that you generally look to sell players when they are overperforming, getting the most value you can from your players. We really don't have any players doing better than their abilities.

 

Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante are the only two players I could see trading that would make sense, as they would net us the type of prospects that they are worth (although I think we'd be selling a tiny bit low on Anibal).

 

 

Trade Infate and who plays 2nd? Boni? CF for Ruggz? :wee

 

I heard if we trade BFF's Lomo and Petersen, the Yankees will throw in $4 million in cash and five PS3's and a XBOX 720...they got the new Xbox early. Lets do it bro.

And so it begins. I wish they wouldn't have included Stanton in all this. I don't think you can get fair value for him. I mean why would you trade him for prospects, he is a prospect. It just makes no sense unless it's all about the money. Which with this owner, it is.

People are taking the Stanton thing out of context. It's already been reported as unlikely.

 

When the team sucks, no one is untouchable; that's basically what this is. No need to blow it out of proportion.

And my disgust for this teams ownership continues.

 

 

Why? This is exactly what they should be doing. The team sucks. They tried, but it sucks.

 

Agreed, except they mentioned Stanton in the article, which is dumb speculation.

And my disgust for this teams ownership continues.

 

 

Why? This is exactly what they should be doing. The team sucks. They tried, but it sucks.

 

Agreed, except they mentioned Stanton in the article, which is dumb speculation.

 

Buster Olney did. That guy's a tool.

And so it begins. I wish they wouldn't have included Stanton in all this. I don't think you can get fair value for him. I mean why would you trade him for prospects, he is a prospect. It just makes no sense unless it's all about the money. Which with this owner, it is.

 

 

"They" haven't included him in anything. The Marlins didn't announce anything. Just because someone is "reporting" that everyone is available (including Stanton) if we become sellers, 1. doesn't make that so, and 2. doesn't mean they are actively looking to trade Stanton or anyone. Saying everyone is available at the right price hardly means they want to deal Stanton. Besides, if everything that gets reported was true, Stanton would have been in Boston 4 years ago.

Mentioning Stanton was just the media being in stir it up mode..what else is new. Giancarlo ain't going anywhere.

 

Hanley on the other hand, I'd be all ears. Boy would I love to see the Mariners send us King Felix for him. We're not going to re-sign Anibal so I see it being open season on him too.

Even if ownership made the unthinkable trade of Stanton I don't see it happening when he's on IR with a somewhat uncertain future with his Achilles knee. You couldn't possibly get enough in return. He can't be traded for prospects...he's the generational prospect of his time. Of course, personally, unless I knew he was damaged goods, I wouldn't trade him even if hypothetically a revamped team filled with known talent produced 2 immediate World Series. That's how franchises like the Yankees work. Not us. I'd rather watch the team grow and that most definitely includes Stanton for his whole long career.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.