Jose placed on DL with right elbow sprain

It's an unusual comment under the circumstances no doubt, but imo anything unusual is most likely a result of a lawyer not used to the limelight when every word he utters is being parsed on internet bulletin boards. I also think that Jose likely knows the exact time within the fateful pitch when the injury occurred. He knew and should have known better at that moment, and the manager/pitching coach should have spotted something, but in retrospect everybody involved "didn't". In the end, whether it was food poisoning or bad footing or a thigh muscle.....what difference does it make(sic).

yeah kind of a weird statement.

"The first we heard about him having a sore arm was after the game in San Diego," manager Mike Redmond said. "If his arm wasn't feeling good or had any discomfort at all, the right person to tell would be me or the trainers or [pitching coach] Chuck [Hernandez]. We could have taken care of it at that time. If it was bothering him he should have said something."

It's an unusual comment under the circumstances no doubt, but imo anything unusual is most likely a result of a lawyer not used to the limelight when every word he utters is being parsed on internet bulletin boards.

Lawyers are definitely used to having every word they write parsed by others, whether senior attorneys, opposing counsel, or judges.

Lawyers are definitely used to having every word they write parsed by others, whether senior attorneys, opposing counsel, or judges.

We'd hope that was true, and every lawyer from the ambulance chaser to ones qualified to argue a case before the Supreme Court knew equally about things to say publicly about legal matters, much less blog fodder matters. All lawyers are not created equal, just like pitchers.

We'd hope that was true, and every lawyer from the ambulance chaser to ones qualified to argue a case before the Supreme Court knew equally about things to say publicly about legal matters, much less blog fodder matters. All lawyers are not created equal, just like pitchers.

He might not be the brightest, but regardless I'm sure he's used to scrutiny, which was my point. Not really very important either way.

Neyer's "dickish" article left me more optimistic, actually. Jose's torque and velocity made TJ surgery inevitable. As much as we wanted the Fish to be in contention this year, a jump from losing 100 games to playoffs was extremely unlikely. Better that he have the surgery now and have the stronger leg ligament in his elbow for the future

No details have been released about the surgery -- we don't know what was used.

There is no "leg ligament" there are knee and ankle and elbow (the other one) and other ligaments, there are also various tendons (tendons -- muscle to bone connectors turn into ligaments -- bone to bone connectors,) so there are any number of sources of the replacement, possibly including cadavers. We have no idea where the replacement came from. Mostly tendons seem to be used.

Meanwhile, his attention-whoring attorney ought to just shut-up with his speculation about causes.

Boras agrees with the Marlins -- do it. OK, fine, everyone already knew that. Nobody, least of all Jose needs a bunch of conjecture about if or why his pitching motion changed that then causes Redmond to have to point out to the press that Jose didn't tell anyone about any elbow discomfort for 5 days. Not to mention that Redmond, his coaches and two anonymous pitchers all say that they saw nothing different in his delivery prior to the injury.

Jose needs a new lawyer who knows when to keep his mouth shut.

I am so late to this discussion, but I just saw the article. From the headline to the detail, I kept wondering what this was about. Is the attorney contemplating a lawsuit or what? Then, once I kept reading his quotes, it is clear that right out of law 101, he used all the appropriate language of an opening statement-but again, to what end? I can only surmise that he has just purchased a few large billboards to place strategically throughout the Tampa Bay area hawking his services and needed to make a name for himself.

I'm not making any bizarre or ridiculous assumptions or jumping to any conclusions.

Prior to the statement by the lawyer, Jose had absolutely nothing but sympathy and good wishes from fans and everyone else. Jose issued his own statement.

Then the lawyer opens his yap. Forcing Redmond to respond -- Jose never mentioned any problem to anyone and we saw nothing different in his delivery. If he had elbow discomfort, he should have told me or Hernandez or the trainers. Anonymous pitchers then chime in -- we also didn't see anything different in his delivery.

Now there is a bit of totally unneeded controversy. The lawyer may be a good friend and have only Jose's best interests in mind, but he should have kept his mouth shut.

Maybe it's all a grand plot by Boras to justify not signing a long-term deal down the road -- the Marlins don't know how to handle pitchers. I think not. The lawyer just doesn't understand when to shut up, no matter his good intentions. He didn't need to say a thing and would be better off if he hadn't.

He might not be the brightest, but regardless I'm sure he's used to scrutiny, which was my point. Not really very important either way.

Evidently Jose thought it was important enough either way to renounce the comment by this attorney.

For the record, even though you may be an attorney, you were wrong in your judgement that this attorney knew his ass from his elbow.

Evidently Jose thought it was important enough either way to renounce the comment by this attorney.

For the record, even though you may be an attorney, you were wrong in your judgement that this attorney knew his ass from his elbow.

Can you pass along the link please?

Also, I never said he knew his ass from his elbow; in fact, I said it was an awful piece of writing. But regardless, that doesn't mean the lawyer isn't used to scrutiny. Some people can still suck at writing even though their writing is heavily scrutinized, and given his profession and the quality of that release, I think he's in that category.

Can you pass along the link please?

I think that there has been more than one article that mentioned it, here's one from a few hours ago -

But Fernandez on Tuesday shot that theory down. He said he had no idea his attorney, no relation, had released the statement until a day later. He also said he didn’t feel a change in his delivery until he tried to hide it after the third inning against the Padres.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/21/4127682/miami-marlins-jose-fernandez-upbeat.html

And, of course, "after the third inning" would be the 4th inning -- when his velocity dropped like a rock.

How the devil does any lawyer run around releasing his own speculation on behalf of his supposed client/friend when he hasn't even talked to him about it?

Earlier, I called this guy an attention-whore who didn't know when to shut up. Looks to be about right. He better be a real good friend, anyone with any sense would fire the guy for 1) running his mouth and/or 2) doing it without so much as a phone call and/or 3) being completely wrong. And, yeah, the guy's writing sucks.

Also, it's come out that his Cuban coach from Tampa was recommending that Jose NOT have TJ surgery. His quoted comment (from memory) was "It would be like putting him [Jose] in the electric chair." The guy's a lunatic. I was wondering why it was taking so long for the surgery to be announced. Jose has also said the ligament was completely separated from the bone -- this wasn't some minor tear. Fortunately, Jose was smart enough to listen to people with some sense, to probably include both doctors (here and in LA,) Boras and Loria. He'd probably never pitch again at the MLB level without the surgery.

I believe the reasoning behind that might be flawed, but it might be rooted in some logic.

Old time pitchers didn't have e surgery because it didn't exist- sometimes it was rehabbed, others they remade themselves into a different pitcher.

The surgery has been a miracle, but should a pitcher need a second one i might be a little bit outside the box and try rehab and change his mechanics/pitching type- from fire baller to nibbler so to speak.

Didn't Bob Feller and Nolan Ryan eventually realize they needed TJ at one point in their careers, long after they had retired?

Old time pitchers didn't have [th]e surgery because it didn't exist- sometimes it was rehabbed, others they remade themselves into a different pitcher.

Mostly, they just disappeared. The saying was "he blew out his arm." Or elbow, later on. On to the next guy.

The odds of a ligament totally detached from the bone being non-surgically rehabbed are very small. Sure, a partial tear or even a serious tear somewhere along the ligament can heal perfectly. Or not. Odds of the problem recurring are high. Totally detached from the bone at one end or the other? You're pretty well done, absent TJ. Strains or sprains? No problem. But this was a complete detachment from the bone.

Looking beyond his Cuban coach's nuttiness, Jose had seen the x-rays and MRIs. He knew what he was facing. Maybe his Tampa coach thought the surgery was going to be done in Cuba, where you have to bribe the doctor and bring your own medications. Barring that, the guy may be a great pitching coach, but he's a medical idiot.