Marcell Ozuna Traded to the Cardinals

knglover

If he had a good first half which is not as likely as some may think, remember he'd be in a weakened lineup and would likely see less to hit. His value was damn high right now.

Fair point but did we cash in on than that "damn high value"? The return is very uninspiring.  

They do, they lost Pare but the others are still there doing their thing. It seems like less of a department though and more like a few guys crunch some numbers and Mike Hill asks them for advice from time to time. It's actually a lot like Jonah Hill's role in Moneyball. 

They should just hire Jonah Hill

trade value will never be higher than it was now.

I think Ozuna with the Cardinals will prove to look a lot more liike last year's Ozuna than the Ozuna of past years. He made a noticeable adjustment, and I think he'll do very well moving forward. 

Hopefully Alcantara & Sierra do well here because I didn't think this specific trade was necessary. 

trade value will never be higher than it was now.

Trade value is based on several things, including the desperation of the other teams on the other end of the deal.  Acquiring Ozuna at this point was a luxury for the Cardinals.  Even if you think his trade value would decline during this season, the Marlins could have even waited until after spring training started and some other team suffers a big injury to lure them into wanting someone like Ozuna.  Then the Cardinals may come knocking with an even better offer knowing this other team is chomping at the bit for him.  The Marlins jumped the gun big time.  They were played

Trade value is based on several things, including the desperation of the other teams on the other end of the deal.  Acquiring Ozuna at this point was a luxury for the Cardinals.  Even if you think his trade value would decline during this season, the Marlins could have even waited until after spring training started and some other team suffers a big injury to lure them into wanting someone like Ozuna.  Then the Cardinals may come knocking with an even better offer knowing this other team is chomping at the bit for him.  The Marlins jumped the gun big time.  They were played

How was this a luxury for the Cardinals?

I mean 95% of GMs get a better package, but in Mike Hill's eyes he got a great deal.  You trade him mid year next year and you are getting someone for 1.5 years of control and so on...

the 2 years of control is huge.

• 4 years later...
6 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

You've been searching for that for a while.

Bravo in finally finding it!

Wasn’t really meant to pick on you, I think most of us were wrong.

It’s also worth bumping this because the Marlins would be unwatchable without this trade. Imagine this franchise right now without Sandy and Gallen (who eventually got us Jazz). 

Avisail Garcia would be our franchise player so let us have this moment. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 10:42 AM, hovertical said:

when the Marlins head 5-tool they probably think it means the guy brings his own toolbox to the park and can help do repairs in his down thus saving a few bucks from paying maintenance workers.

Hey look, I said something that still rings true today!

10 hours ago, Erick said:

Wasn’t really meant to pick on you, I think most of us were wrong.

It’s also worth bumping this because the Marlins would be unwatchable without this trade. Imagine this franchise right now without Sandy and Gallen (who eventually got us Jazz). 

Avisail Garcia would be our franchise player so let us have this moment. 

it really was a great trade for the Marlins.  

It was the Cardinals knowing they had a surplus of talent as starting pitching, and moving who they thought were the extra pieces in Sandy and Gallen.  Marlins (Mike Hill ) did a great job flipping Gallen into Jazz.  They wanted an outfielder badly.  We just took the worst of the 3 that were available (though a lot of due to Stanton rejecting a trade to STL).  I'd be curious who all was in that trade!

If I recall, Yelich 'wasnt on the market' when the Ozuna trade was made.  But its been a while and I'm too lazy to look up the order of those trades right now.  It should be noted that this was back when I didnt hate Mozeliak for his lack of real moves and stubborness, so I assumed he was knowing what he was doing with regards to who was being moved.  I hadnt seen Sandy more than his less than stellar cup of coffee the year before in STL.  Mags I liked but wasnt sure what his long term role was.  I didnt really know anything about Gallen.  So its whatever, bad on me in some ways for being less informed!  

Its too bad they didnt do half as good a job on really the other trades they made, imagine where they would be!