Brinson

Saw someone say this:

"Brinson at best will become a serviceable 4th OF in the majors, but he needs a lot of work on his hitting approach and mechanics to get there"

The world is full of morons.

He should be sent down obviously but that take is laughable.

Saw someone say this:

"Brinson at best will become a serviceable 4th OF in the majors, but he needs a lot of work on his hitting approach and mechanics to get there"

The world is full of morons.

He should be sent down obviously but that take is laughable.

I don’t know who said that but why is that take laughable?

I don’t know who said that but why is that take laughable?

"Brinson at best will become a serviceable 4th OF in the majors,"

How can anyone make that statement this early? 

Other players have started off badly in MLB and then figured it out. It is way too early to make that Brinson's ceiling.

I'm not comparing Mickey Mantle or Roy Halladay to Lewis Brinson

Even Mickey Mantle had problems early in his MLB career and was demoted to the minors to figure things out. He's not the only one but one of the more famous ones. Roy Halladay is another.

To be clear, I'm not saying Brinson is going to be a Hall of Fame type player like those guys but just the concept here. A guy can start out badly in MLB and then eventually become better. Giving up on a guy after a few months IS laughable.

Even Mickey Mantle had problems early in his MLB career and was demoted to the minors to figure things out. He's not the only one but one of the more famous ones. Roy Halladay is another.

To be clear, I'm not saying Brinson is going to be a Hall of Fame type player like those guys but just the concept here. A guy can start out badly in MLB and then eventually become better. Giving up on a guy after a few months IS laughable.

someone's having a bad life

"Brinson at best will become a serviceable 4th OF in the majors,"

How can anyone make that statement this early? 

Other players have started off badly in MLB and then figured it out. It is way too early to make that Brinson's ceiling.

I wonder if anyone has ever started off as bad as he has for this long and turned a corner.  It’s more then just a slump where he is having bad luck and hitting the ball right at people. He just looks completely overmatched up here.

Major Disclaimer up front:   this is a really crude/flawed analysis so don’t take this and assume I’m all in on it.  

I took Fangraphs data and isolated every rookie season in AL and NL history from 1901 to today.  I then isolated players with greater than 200 plate appearances.  I chose 200 because Brinson currently has 212 plate appearances registered to his statistics in Fangraphs.  Then I sorted it by wRC+ (lowest to highest).  Out of 3,600 players Brinson has the 30th worst wRC+.  Here’s the problem with this though.  It completely ignores players which may not have been qualified rookies.  It is looking at full seasons for any player before 2018, so if some guy played a full season with a 100 wRC+ it wouldn’t reveal that maybe he had a poor first half split.

I was curious to see if any notable names would appear near Brinson’s.  Nobody any good was worse than him.  Dan Wilson posted a 39 in 1994 but as a catcher his value was not in his hitting.  Brandon Phillips posted a 44 in 2003 and he went on to have a great career for the Reds.  Jackie Bradley Jr had a 46 in 2014.  Matt Williams had a 50 in 1987.  Javier Baez had a 54 in 2014. 

I’m not going to lie.  It wasn’t pretty, but like I said up front it was a quick and dirty glance.  It’s comparing Brinson to guys who posted full seasons.  It doesn’t take a math wizard to figure out the guy has been struggling.  The question is what to do about it and none of us have any answers

EDIT:  I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!  In 2000 Juan Pierre had a wRC+ with the Rockies of 55.  This hero worship must stop Lewis.

[ATTACH]2015._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1144017558_wrctable.png.75121220666663bd501e35640a6a86d1.png

Major Disclaimer up front:   this is a really crude/flawed analysis so don’t take this and assume I’m all in on it.  

I took Fangraphs data and isolated every rookie season in AL and NL history from 1901 to today.  I then isolated players with greater than 200 plate appearances.  I chose 200 because Brinson currently has 212 plate appearances registered to his statistics in Fangraphs.  Then I sorted it by wRC+ (lowest to highest).  Out of 3,600 players Brinson has the 30th worst wRC+.  Here’s the problem with this though.  It completely ignores players which may not have been qualified rookies.  It is looking at full seasons for any player before 2018, so if some guy played a full season with a 100 wRC+ it wouldn’t reveal that maybe he had a poor first half split.

I was curious to see if any notable names would appear near Brinson’s.  Nobody any good was worse than him.  Dan Wilson posted a 39 in 1994 but as a catcher his value was not in his hitting.  Brandon Phillips posted a 44 in 2003 and he went on to have a great career for the Reds.  Jackie Bradley Jr had a 46 in 2014.  Matt Williams had a 50 in 1987.  Javier Baez had a 54 in 2014. 

I’m not going to lie.  It wasn’t pretty, but like I said up front it was a quick and dirty glance.  It’s comparing Brinson to guys who posted full seasons.  It doesn’t take a math wizard to figure out the guy has been struggling.  The question is what to do about it and none of us have any answers

EDIT:  I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!  In 2000 Juan Pierre had a wRC+ with the Rockies of 55.  This hero worship must stop Lewis.

[ATTACH]2015[/ATTACH]

I feel he’ll be sent down in the next week to just flat out build his confidence back up and focus on pitch recognition.  He has had 246 ABs now in last 2 years and is now at a .150 clip. The team can’t just keep throwing him out there and continue to watch him struggle. 

Mantle was assigned uniform #6, signifying the expectation that he would become the next Yankees star, following Babe Ruth (#3), Lou Gehrig (#4) and Joe DiMaggio (#5).[8] Stengel, speaking to SPORT, stated "He's got more natural power from both sides than anybody I ever saw."[18] Bill Dickey called Mantle "the greatest prospect [he's] seen in [his] time."[17]

After a brief slump, Mantle was sent down to the Yankees' top farm team, the Kansas City Blues. However, he was not able to find the power he once had in the lower minors. Out of frustration, he called his father one day and told him, "I don't think I can play baseball anymore." Mutt drove up to Kansas City that day. When he arrived, he started packing his son's clothes and, according to Mantle's memory, said "I thought I raised a man. I see I raised a coward instead. You can come back to Oklahoma and work the mines with me."[19] Mantle immediately broke out of his slump, going on to hit .361 with 11 homers and 50 RBIs during his stay in Kansas City.[8]

Mantle was called up to the Yankees after 40 games with Kansas City, this time wearing uniform #7.[8] He hit .267 with 13 home runs and 65 RBI in 96 games. In the second game of the 1951 World Series, New York Giants rookie Willie Mays hit a fly ball to right-center field. Mantle, playing right field, raced for the ball together with center fielder Joe DiMaggio, who called for the ball (and made the catch). In getting out of DiMaggio's way, Mantle tripped over an exposed drain pipe and severely injured his right knee. This was the first of numerous injuries that plagued his 18-year career with the Yankees. He played the rest of his career with a torn ACL.