Hot Stove (2021-2022 offseason)

3 hours ago, MarlinsLou said:

This is where the Marlins come in and save the day at 10/$326 (more than Seager and Stanton and give him a 3-4 year opt out). Go play for $40m in Houston on a one year deal... or be physically as close as possible to Puerto Rico as a MLB player on an ascending team. No state income tax.

Trade Pablo/Bass/Aguilar(or cut him) for Marsh/prospects (decreases payroll like $13m... so even with Correa you're still pushing roughly over $80m(!)). Sign a veteran innings eater and legitimate 4th OF who can play CF.

And you're under $95 million for this. Maybe even $90m if you're frugal/smart or dip into the minors to trade someone

Stalling, Fortes/Jackson
Anderson, Cooper(Primary DH)
Jazz
Correa, Berti
Rojas
Sanchez, DLC 
Marsh, Veteran 4th OF/CF
Garcia

Sandy, Rogers, Innings Eater, Hernandez, Luzardo
Floro, Bender, Cabrera, Pop, Head, Holloway/whoever
Bleier, Okert

DL - Sixto
AAA - Lewin, Bleday, Burdick, Isan (low BABIP 2021, there is hope), Devers, Astudillo, Quinn
AAA - Meyer, Neidert, Garrett, Poteet
And still have Eury/Watson/Salas/Eder

I don't love the hitter bench, and the backend of the bullpen is a little weak, but the AAA reinforcements (plus Sixto) is very very legit. This gets you too June for sure.

Beat chest and throw behind Matt Olson the first time he comes to the plate. Maybe have Head/Pop do that to not lose a starter.

We all know they wont do it sadly. 

3 hours ago, marlins_09 said:

I don’t trust anyone in the media other than Mish with reports of their plan. Others just seem like casuals with reports based on amateur dot connecting. Mish shot this down in 2 seconds.

They don’t have a CF solution. Not on the roster, not in the minors, not in the org. 

I would only trust Scoop at this point tbh. 

1 hour ago, MarlinsLou said:

DLC was atrocious in CF though (metrics wise anyways). SSS yes, and he was GOOD in RF, but he isn't option A or B on a contending team. Maybe not even C. He also had a .380 BABIP so we know the answer to if it's going to be a fluke or not already. I'm fine with him as the 12th or 13th hitter unless there are larger upgrades. He's earned at least that and may be fine as a backup (with upside), but if he is starting CF opening day they have major problems.

Also plans don't change in years - they change with personnel. Sandy and Rogers exploding into front line SP (as well as acquiring Luzardo who everyone is sleeping on and he could easily go all Pablo/Rogers next year) changed everything. Not going for it this year is blowing a year of frontline SP in their prime - and that's unforgivable with a bottom 5 payroll where even going to $90m puts together a complete team. The Mets are going to spend 3x that amount. As well as, they have 5 universal top 100 prospects, and four more guys (Bleday, Burdick, Salas, Eder) who have dabbled onto a few or got honorable mentions as just missing. They have assets to burn. I give Ng absolutely no grace period to find her vision. The vision is clear and she sucks if she doesn't see it - they have the pitching and a solid group of vets/kid bats. They need the final pieces right now. No excuses.

Broken record - it's their own fault if they continue to suck on paper.

I mean its pretty fucking straight forward at this point.

Go trade whatever you have to trade for a CF.  Even if the one you get is a disaster so be it.  If the guy you get you truly feel is a game changer, then so be it.

Be that Reynolds, Mullens et al.    You cant fault them for fucking up if they go for it.  Thats baseball.

This team is a CF and another impact bat away from being real good.  

Might Burdick be good?  Might Bleday be good?  yes to both.  also could be no to one or both.  

If that becomes an issue then you figure it out then.  With the starting pitching this team has, its even more frustrating they dont have a legit CF defensively.  

Then get a legit backend high leverage reliever and see if you can really make noise and do something come October. 

Getting to April 7 and saying, well we tried is a failure.  Completely.  

What’s funny now, and could be embarrassing in the near future, is how obvious the personnel decisions should be. They did the hard part, acquired a shitload of tremendous SP. 

Build a lights out bullpen. Supplement this pitching with bats. Have a clear vision of how you want your team to play offense, and find guys that fit that plan. 

Consistently score runs (don’t need to be the Bronx Bombers), throw a young stud on the mound every 5 days, and then in the 7th/8th inning bring in some shutdown relievers. 

You did the hard part marlins. Just add the misc pieces 

17 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Well, at this point, let's see....

Added:

Garcia

Stallings

Wendle

spare parts

Subtracted:

Marte

Alfaro

Brinson

Panik

I feel like I'm missing some things, but I guess you could argue that theoretically they're better in some worse in others, so maybe tilted in the better direction based on how much you value the loss of Marte vs. the other additions

Stallings > Alfaro........+catcher

Garcia > Brinson.........+RF

? > Marte.......................BIG - CF

Wendle > Panik .........+ utility

Garcia replaces Duvall's role rather than Brinson's. If we add a CF, then him plus DLC will replace the half season of Marte plus Brinson and Mags. Plus don't forget that a full season of Sanchez is almost certainly better than a half season of Dickerson and Sanchez. Health will be the biggest factor. The depth is improved, but like last year it remains a big problem.

8 hours ago, Entendu said:

They're also years of affordable control and the ability to go out and spend those savings on someone else.

I agree with the sentiment that we have to go now, but it's a little more complicated than trading potential for sure things. Because potential could turn into a sure thing, and a sure thing could turn into a bust.

All I'm saying is that those of us gun-ho about trading away prospects need to consider that the players we are discussing trading for CAN turn out to be busts as well.

I get what you're saying, but that can also paralyze you into doing nothing ever.

This team is at the point where they need to do SOMETHING.

And ideally, you just sign several guys like Correa, Jansen, Greinke AND keep the farm intact, but we won't see that.

18 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Garcia replaces Duvall's role rather than Brinson's. If we add a CF, then him plus DLC will replace the half season of Marte plus Brinson and Mags. Plus don't forget that a full season of Sanchez is almost certainly better than a half season of Dickerson and Sanchez. Health will be the biggest factor. The depth is improved, but like last year it remains a big problem.

Oh yes, Sierra, forgot who the other one was and knew it wasn't Diaz.

14 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Ok but if Jeter left only because of the Castellanos thing then he's an idiot. I doubt that's the full story though. He probably knew he was on the way out and just didn't wanna be a "lame duck" CEO.

From a source close to Castellanos, Jeter and him met twice in Davie. Castellanos and Jeter agreed to a figure and years, called Sherman spoke. Came back to Nick saying Sherman wants Jansen and wants to use some of the money allocated to Castellanos. As soon as Jeter resigned Castellanos had zero intentions of coming here.

• Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, Marlins Phenom said:

From a source close to Castellanos, Jeter and him met twice in Davie. Castellanos and Jeter agreed to a figure and years, called Sherman spoke. Came back to Nick saying Sherman wants Jansen and wants to use some of the money allocated to Castellanos. As soon as Jeter resigned Castellanos had zero intentions of coming here.

So he wanted to be here because "Jeter" and not the team.   I understand money would've been lower as well.  But ZERO intentions of coming here after a FO guy leaves?

Edited by rmc523