Hot Stove (2021-2022 offseason)

18 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Keep in mind this is most likely just a guess. Mish has done a lot to improve his credibility lately, but there's still early-career-Mish haunting him in lots of professional circles. Also, his Stanton-on-a-slider-swing-and-miss at this past trade deadline set him back a bit, too. 

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

No that doesn't seem right. Castellanos would fill the role that Marte would have filled if he accepted their extension offer. That offer was about 40M so that 40M would be their allocation for that one role, it's not their entire total budget.  

Maybe.....hopefully.  If 40M total is all they're spending, there's no hope lol.

I don't see them blowing out the farm they've built to facilitate trades for everything we'd need either.

Edited by rmc523

19 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

That's my constant worry with free agency, even if they want to spend they can always be outbid and we know this team isn't going to ridiculously overpay either, nor should they. There's no guarantee they get what they really want in free agency. 

Why shouldnt the overspend?

a. they have no real future dollars commmited.

b. the industry still has the idea the organization is  a joke.

c. in order to overcome b. you have to overspend to show you are serious, else all big free agents will never choose the Marlins if the offers are nearly the same.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

That's my constant worry with free agency, even if they want to spend they can always be outbid and we know this team isn't going to ridiculously overpay either, nor should they. There's no guarantee they get what they really want in free agency. 

This is the kind of comment I'm fearing though. If this happens - some fans (maybe not you) are going to take this as acceptable and say we need to give them another year and try again next off-season.

They need to get things done and if it means going above market value, so be it. They have the room in the payroll. They can't possibly swing and miss on every single free agent they target, if they actually give it a real try.

I am done moving the goalposts even if some others aren't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Maybe.....hopefully.  If 40M total is all they're spending, there's no hope lol.

I don't see them blowing out the farm they've built to facilitate trades for everything we'd need either.

So what’s the move then? If you don’t want to spend money in FA or make trades to make the team better, what are you doing, Marlins? 😂 bottom line is team needs to get better with the resources that they have. The Rays are looking to possibly relocate for god sakes and they consistently have a 90 win team with attendance almost as bad as ours? Again no titles for Tampa Bay Rays, but they have the “secret sauce” as Barry Jackson put it to stay competitive without spending money. I will always love the Marlins, but I don’t think fans will continue investing their 💸 on an annual basis with the Marlins if they never put a good faith effort to spend on top free agents or work out solid extensions. Look at the Braves extension with Acuna. 🥜 sorry for the Ronald Reference guys but I’m Just Saying trying to speak facts 

• Like 1

1. The speculation that the Marlins and Chris Taylor would be a good fit...grrrrreat. I am sure a 31 year old 250 hitter with versatility is exactly what will change this team...

2. Carton and Robert's are already pushing the narrative that the Yanks need to sign Rizzo, Correa, and...Marte. on the basis that they need a centerfielder...

Exactly where the Marlins want to be...in a bidding war with the Yanks who are upset because they have gone 12 years without a ring. I am sure Ng will know exactly how to handle waiting in line for the Yankees to choose who they want so she can make some lowball offers to a couple retreads.

Edited by Major-Minor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

This is the kind of comment I'm fearing though. If this happens - some fans (maybe not you) are going to take this as acceptable and say we need to give them another year and try again next off-season.

They need to get things done and if it means going above market value, so be it. They have the room in the payroll. They can't possibly swing and miss on every single free agent they target, if they actually give it a real try.

I would love to go back to last offseason and just start reposting all the hot takes. 

I am pretty sure a handful of us were saying exactly this and our fear of the 20-21 season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Agreed.  I'm shifting to not caring/watching from afar without moves being made.

1 hour ago, Major-Minor said:

I would love to go back to last offseason and just start reposting all the hot takes. 

I am pretty sure a handful of us were saying exactly this and our fear of the 20-21 season.

Yup, I think the consensus was after the pandemic season, we understood being hesitant with purse strings, but that things needed to be done, and they didn't.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:22 PM, SilverBullet said:

As a diehard I am kind of with the team no matter what, but if they don't do something to make improvements I will be real pissed off.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed.  I'm shifting to not caring/watching from afar without moves being made.

Yup, I think the consensus was after the pandemic season, we understood being hesitant with purse strings, but that things needed to be done, and they didn't.

Not upgrading the catching position when they knew that there would be no viable options this offseason was kind of stupid. I mean I guess that d'Arnaud wasn't locked up before mid season, but come on.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:22 AM, SilverBullet said:

If they really want to spend they can always outbid other teams. I don't know, you would blame them for not overpay and not acquire players or blame them for overpay and acquire players ?

20 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Simple and clear, would always have bidding war for the real good players and overpaid is always the only way to win it.

21 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Why shouldnt the overspend?

a. they have no real future dollars commmited.

b. the industry still has the idea the organization is  a joke.

c. in order to overcome b. you have to overspend to show you are serious, else all big free agents will never choose the Marlins if the offers are nearly the same.

7 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

If they really want to spend they can always outbid other teams. I don't know, you would blame them for not overpay and not acquire players or blame them for overpay and acquire players ?

There's always a part of free agency that means overspending and outbidding other offers, that's not what I'm talking about. 

I'm saying no need to recklessly throw $325 million at Castellanos or whoever. If you really want the Marlins to do that then you have a problem.

21 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I agree. I'm saying they still have to make the right offers and there's always a chance even the right offers aren't enough. I'm pretty sure @taiwanmarlin wants them to spend like idiots to make sure they get a new free agent at every position.