Anthony Bass / Zach Pop / PTBNL Traded to Blue Jays for Jordan Groshans

rmc523

• The title was changed to Anthony Bass / Zach Pop / PTBNL Traded to Blue Jays for Jordan Groshans

Not liking Groshans numbers to be honest. Sub .250 and 1 homer this season in the minors. 

He’s not even a speed guy as he only has 2 steals. 

if a guy isn’t producing in the minors… yea I’m not hopeful. 

The trade is just Bleh for me.

The only benefit is not having Bass and Pop around to give up runs in close games.

Groshans seems like the Marlins replacement for Isan Diaz.. which knowing the Marlins, I wouldn't be surprised if they give Groshans a chance next year and keep LeBlanc in AAA. 🤣

This is really solid for two relievers they can easily replace. Groshans is a good prospect.

"Drafted in 2018, Groshans has only played in about one season’s worth of career games due to a severe 2019 foot injury and 2020’s lost pandemic campaign. He has not performed in the manner that was projected of him coming out of high school, when he was viewed as a corner infield power-over-hit prototype. Instead, Groshans has shown excellent control of the strike zone and promising bat-to-ball skills despite his odd-looking bat path, while continuing to mostly play shortstop all the way through Double-A. He still projects to third base, and that combined with Groshans’ surprisingly low high-end exit velos caused us to do a fairly extensive re-evaluation, as corner infielders don’t typically project as everyday players without impact power. On paper, his skill set reads more like the last half-decade of Evan Longoria’s production than that of a 30-homer threat, and the perceived variance of Groshans’ outcomes has narrowed. Ultimately, what he did as a 21-year-old at Double-A was impressive, the average major-league batting line has fallen each of the last two years, and we’re still comfortable projecting Groshans as a good big leaguer, but not a star."

He's 22. He is young for his level. His BB/K is excellent if any power returns at all. Frankly, the BB/K is really interesting. Take that Don for the all power/strike out 30% of the time approach?

This is good bet but much much much more offense is needed.

This also lets them move on from Wendle/Rojas right now. So I assume one of them gets traded quickly.

• Like 3

Just now, canada-marlin24 said:

Before this season his hitting numbers were pretty decent. Just having a bad season I think. 

22 in AAA. For perspective, Bleday was 24 when he got there and Burdick 25.

Groshans seems like a guy they call up after the super 2 deadline next year... or maybe 15 games into the 2023 season if you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, pollythewog said:

Sure if you spend $

well yes.

but still easy to fix and easy to fix on 1-2 year deals which for ownership groups not leading the Marlins, Pirates and A's is not a big deal.

Hell the Rays even would probably be open to spending a few cents on relievers if they didnt already have 20 options laying around in their minor league system.