Uggla traded to Braves

Admin

Cappozi wrote a day ago about "clubhouse tension" between Hanley and Uggla. We all remember the clash over not playing injured.

This explains what has been going on all along:

he never backed down from initial demand of 5yr/$71 million

Hanley got $70 million (6 years.) Uggla obviously wanted to one-up him. 71 is a completely arbitrary, odd number with no logic behind it unless it's looked at in relation to Hanley. Hard to believe that ol' "See ball, hit ball" is that much of a chickensh!t, but there you go.

I'm glad he's gone. No point in even overpaying for 4 years, never mind 5. And ATL's defense did just get worse. Who knows, they might even be dumb enough to pay 5/71. If not, he's probably elsewhere in '12. That he isn't signed or controlled beyond '11 is the reason his value has been only moderate for over a year.

Cappozi wrote a day ago about "clubhouse tension" between Hanley and Uggla. We all remember the clash over not playing injured.

Hanley got $70 million (6 years.) Uggla obviously wanted to one-up him. 71 is a completely arbitrary, odd number with no logic behind it unless it's looked at in relation to Hanley. Hard to believe that ol' "See ball, hit ball" is that much of a chickensh!t, but there you go.

I'm glad he's gone. No point in even overpaying for 4 years, never mind 5. And ATL's defense did just get worse. Who knows, they might even be dumb enough to pay 5/71. If not, he's probably elsewhere in '12. That he isn't signed or controlled beyond '11 is the reason his value has been only moderate for over a year.

i just said that above.

You're probably right about the $71M being one-upsmanship. That being said, he therefore won't ask for that from the Braves. He'll ask for something the Braves can afford and we'll be facing him for a long time. Should have kept him here until mid-season and traded him to a contender. We probably would have gotten a better deal and with a different team. It's hard to imagine any additional move the Marlins are really likely to make that could offset this.

If all this $71 million talk is true... I'm now dying to hear Hanley's side of this. I doubt we get his true response but I'm dying to know what he thinks of his buddy now. If this is the way it truly is, Uggla can enjoy playing elsewhere, he's not Hanley, period.

Its amazing how quickly we have apparently soured on Uggla's attitude.

2010 WAR

Uggla 5.1

Paulino 1.1

Maybin .4

Buck 2.9

Infante 2.1

Whoever plays 3B/CF opposite CC needs a 1.6

Yes, I understand it is very rough math, but Uggla DID overachieve on BABIP and his defense isn't going to get better. Buck's numbers are better outside of Toronto lately and catchers usually come into their own older. Infante, has done this for two years and that is not asking for a lot. Not included in this, is the additional players we will sign with the money Uggla is not getting. Oh, and the multiple multiple relievers we have received who are all awesome. We don't live in a land of infinite payroll where we keep Uggla and add things around him.

Big picture people. Our offense has lost nothing, our bullpen is better, and we have Nunez (and Paulino, Badenhop, and Veras if possible) to trade and $5 million more to spend. It would have been nice to also plop a good B+ or better SP prospect on top of Infante/Dunn (Dunn is awesome btw), but the Marlins did their due diligence.

BIG PICTURE. I have -0- problems with Uggla, Maybin, and Miller trades, and the Buck free agency signing. We are a better team right now, than we were a week ago.

If it is true that Uggla did not budge from an impossible demand, then I still blame Beinfest. Uggla not really wanting to get a deal done is understandable considering how poorly this team has managed its talent.

How do you figure?

I do not agree... but I think he's saying Beinfest's supposed mismanagement of this team in the past (Cody? Cabrera? Willingham?) is what led to Uggla not really wanting to be here unless it was above $70 million.

Thats a convoluted way to blame Beinfest... to me, thats Uggla being a prick... But whatever.