Loria's letter to the fans

Admin

I don't want to sound like a Loria apologist but people complained when he stayed silent after the trade. Now there are complaints when he says something. I don't think he said anything particularly wrong but it just proves there is nothing he can do to appease most of the fans ever again.

He probably shouldnt have flat out lied to the fan base to start with, tbh.

I'm with Admin in that Loria really wants to win, but I can't help but think it'll be like Jacques Clouseau where he stumbles upon another championship in much the same way.

Outside of money and a new owner bringing it, are there baseball people available that know how to win that AREN'T employed right now?

I won't forget the scene in 'The Franchise' in which Samson and the FO were arguing players' values based on RBIs.

ew. that's embarassing.

A strong farm system is great and all, but the Royals had the best farm

system EVERRRRRR a couple of seasons ago, and haven't finished at .500

since 2003. - http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/12981010?widget=true

I don't want to sound like a Loria apologist but people complained when he stayed silent after the trade. Now there are complaints when he says something. I don't think he said anything particularly wrong but it just proves there is nothing he can do to appease most of the fans ever again.

Why did he wait four months? He's been in hiding until now, and has yet to address the media since the trade in an official capacity. If he was so pleased with this deal and everything, why is he laying low?

Why did he wait four months? He's been in hiding until now, and has yet to address the media since the trade in an official capacity. If he was so pleased with this deal and everything, why is he laying low?

Him waiting allows a good amount of tension to die down. If he had sent this letter out 3 or 4 days after the trade, people would have probably been about 5 times as angry at the trade, rather than now saying, "well, it happened, and at least he's attempting to justify it" or something to that effect.

Him waiting allows a good amount of tension to die down. If he had sent this letter out 3 or 4 days after the trade, people would have probably been about 5 times as angry at the trade, rather than now saying, "well, it happened, and at least he's attempting to justify it" or something to that effect.

He probably shouldn't have said anything. No people are reminded just how bad this team is right before baseball season.

It's not a bad team to baseball people!

Using the word "ain't" in this context is ceratinly impressive -

This letter won't win back anyone - they'll be lucky to draw 25K for the opener -

The first ST game was yesterday and only attended by about 1/2 of last year's opening ST game. Same opponent. Me thinks it is possible that some Marlins fans are making a statement.

Or we got rid of the bandwagon fans, either way.

People are negatively overreacting to the letter as has been the case with a lot of things Marlins-related since that trade with the Blue Jays.

Honestly, the worst thing about the letter are the occasional grammar mistakes.

Was anything false? Just be happy he stopped hiding like a coward.

Why did he wait four months? He's been in hiding until now, and has yet to address the media since the trade in an official capacity. If he was so pleased with this deal and everything, why is he laying low?Don't know why he waited so long but he plans to address the media tomorrow.

Why did he wait four months? He's been in hiding until now, and has yet to address the media since the trade in an official capacity. If he was so pleased with this deal and everything, why is he laying low?Don't know why he waited so long but he plans to address the media tomorrow.

I think it's dumb for him to be doing all of this now. He's just going to be re-opening sore wounds.

The time to address the media and fans was in November.

I think it's dumb for him to be doing all of this now. He's just going to be re-opening sore wounds.

The time to address the media and fans was in November.

But, back then, he could have been assassinated during the press conference like Ozzie was after his Castro comments! :o

I don't think that saying the Toronto trade "has been almost universally accepted by baseball experts" is factually accurate.

The letter, for the most part, seems to have the same delusional thinking that Samson used to spew over the radio.

It's not factually inaccurate either. Plenty of people have said they liked the trade from a value standpoint (which is actually what he said...he talked about value).

"Plenty of people" does not equal "almost universal acceptance." Also, "value" isn't just about the dollars. It's also about the talent.

I don't detect "almost universal acceptance" among "baseball experts" with respect to either of those. What hard evidence do you have that this is the case?

It's a false statement.

"Plenty of people" does not equal "almost universal acceptance." Also, "value" isn't just about the dollars. It's also about the talent.

I don't detect "almost universal acceptance" among "baseball experts" with respect to either of those. What hard evidence do you have that this is the case?

The trade has been criticized for the way Loria does business.

However, I feel like the trade has received acceptance by many analysts around baseball who actually study the economics of the game. The talent level received hasn't received a huge amount of criticism either.

It's been criticizied because Loria did it, and it's a firesale the 2nd year into a new stadium. The trade, itself, has not been criticized much, if at all.

I think something big is coming. An offer to Stanton, signing a cuban or asian player, something big. I think he wouldn't of spent the time or more importantly the money taking out this add if he didn't have something in mind. You can't promise future success with nothing to keep us happy now, especially when the division only gets better each year. I think he has something in the works that will keep us happy for a while. But we'll see

I think something big is coming. An offer to Stanton, signing a cuban or asian player, something big. I think he wouldn't of spent the time or more importantly the money taking out this add if he didn't have something in mind. You can't promise future success with nothing to keep us happy now, especially when the division only gets better each year. I think he has something in the works that will keep us happy for a while. But we'll see

They don't have anything planned, dude. Their plan is to hope to catch lightning in a bottle with young players and win on the cheap. Sure its possible, but unlikely. Loria is essentially blaming the fans for not coming out and watching the team as to why he must cut payroll. The fans blame Loria for putting together bad teams. Even after the money spent last year, did he really expect to win back a lot of people in one offseason? It was his last and most important chance to win South Florida and he lost it. Forever. It aint coming back as long as he owns this team.

The trade has been criticized for the way Loria does business.

However, I feel like the trade has received acceptance by many analysts around baseball who actually study the economics of the game. The talent level received hasn't received a huge amount of criticism either.

It's been criticizied because Loria did it, and it's a firesale the 2nd year into a new stadium. The trade, itself, has not been criticized much, if at all.

The general impression I got from reading reviews at the time was that while the Marlins were successful in dumping much of the salary, they did not maximize the surplus value of the talent they traded away in the players they got back. Of the few impact players they got back from Toronto, all of the names carried some serious concerns about their ceilings. The consensus seems to be that the Marlins got back a large number of defective pieces.

The goal of the trade was obviously to dump salary, but that doesn't mean that the Marlins couldn't have gotten better talent from either Toronto or some other MLB team.

I think that Loria is pretending that the trade was a much better baseball move than it truly was.

It's a false statement.

oh and it's even not "universal acceptance" either. "UNIVERSALLY CELEBRATED".

where's my ticker-tape parade?

at this point he'd be better off just clamming up, it's too late and it's a crappy message anyway. Giving Stanton an offer would top anything he could say right now.

It's a false statement.

oh and it's even not "universal acceptance" either. "UNIVERSALLY CELEBRATED".

where's my ticker-tape parade?

at this point he'd be better off just clamming up, it's too late and it's a crappy message anyway.

Oh, shit. I didn't even notice that.

Yeah, he's definitely making a false statement, then.