Tim Lincecum’s Showcase Set For Friday

He's not better than either one. He's maybe on the same level: flashes of having it together in one or two starts, completely blowing it in the other starts.

Living in the Bay Area, I followed Timmy the past few years. His ceiling was once so much higher than Cosart's and Koehler. But he has completely imploded, consistency wise. He's not giving you 7 or 8 innings anymore with any regularity.

Think of it this way: the Giants rotation has Peavy and Cain, both on a significant downswing. Yet, the Giants are only really interested in Timmy on a minor league deal and if he is willing to be a reliever. And their FO loves Lincecum. But he's been injured too much, too inconsistent for them. That should be a red flag.

I wouldn't mind Lincecum on a minor league contract with the potential of being called up. But he ain't going to be much different than Koehler and who knows how healthy he is (this showcase has been pushed back at least twice). I wouldn't want to automatically give him a rotation spot.

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

He's not better than either one. He's maybe on the same level: flashes of having it together in one or two starts, completely blowing it in the other starts.

Living in the Bay Area, I followed Timmy the past few years. His ceiling was once so much higher than Cosart's and Koehler. But he has completely imploded, consistency wise. He's not giving you 7 or 8 innings anymore with any regularity.

Think of it this way: the Giants rotation has Peavy and Cain, both on a significant downswing. Yet, the Giants are only really interested in Timmy on a minor league deal and if he is willing to be a reliever. And their FO loves Lincecum. But he's been injured too much, too inconsistent for them. That should be a red flag.

I wouldn't mind Lincecum on a minor league contract with the potential of being called up. But he ain't going to be much different than Koehler and who knows how healthy he is (this showcase has been pushed back at least twice). I wouldn't want to automatically give him a rotation spot.

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

I don't disagree, at all, with anything you're saying. But if the Marlins want to seriously compete they need to catch a few lightnings in a bottle.

Timmy magically finding his old form could be one of those lightnings. The probability is very low, but the probability of Marlins competing is incredibly low. Sometimes a hail mary is the best option.

I personally like running a rotation of Fernandez/Chen/Conley/Nicolino. The 5th man is my concern, even though Koehler has been a decent pitcher for us over the last three years. I don't think Lincecum is that guy or even worth the try, but somebody needs to be that 5th guy. I think Phelps would've been given a chance if he hadn't been so amazing in the setup role this year. It's possible the team could look to make a trade for somebody in June. Don't know what we have to give up though in the farm that's tradable at the moment.

I personally like running a rotation of Fernandez/Chen/Conley/Nicolino. The 5th man is my concern, even though Koehler has been a decent pitcher for us over the last three years. I don't think Lincecum is that guy or even worth the try, but somebody needs to be that 5th guy. I think Phelps would've been given a chance if he hadn't been so amazing in the setup role this year. It's possible the team could look to make a trade for somebody in June. Don't know what we have to give up though in the farm that's tradable at the moment.

There's absolutely no one in our system that any other team would trade a decent starting pitcher for. Our best chance is to look for a guy with a bad contract and trade for him, but then we're not likely to do much better than a Matt Garza type. 

There's absolutely no one in our system that any other team would trade a decent starting pitcher for. Our best chance is to look for a guy with a bad contract and trade for him, but then we're not likely to do much better than a Matt Garza type. 

I don't think it's that the Giants didn't want him, they just can't give him a chance without knowing what he's capable of. A Lincecum in SF will be a distraction and fans will want to see him start again. If he can do it, they wouldn't have minded. They want to see if he can before they commit. Another team can sign him, then cut him a week later and the fans wouldn't be as heart broken as SF will be.

They need to measure their excitement and be careful with the expectations.

Just bumping this because obviously today's the day. Even with Lincecum's question marks the Marlins better be seriously in on this. We still have pitching depth issues, Lincecum could help that.

unless they plan on moving TK to the pen, the marlins can't give him a rotation spot off the bat. Hate to beat a dead horse, but the not signing HA thing looks really really bad right now

unless they plan on moving TK to the pen, the marlins can't give him a rotation spot off the bat. Hate to beat a dead horse, but the not signing HA thing looks really really bad right now

Wait for HA to pitch in big league games before you complain about that