Top Spring Training Battles

FishFan95

Thinking about the stats posted in here, I do wonder what we're missing by not seeing any of them "B games" and inter-squad games they've played. I doubt those games have moved the needle much, but it would be interesting to know if, say, Jazz or Isan has 2 homers in unofficial games. It would certainly change the perception of their springs thus far.

37 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Thinking about the stats posted in here, I do wonder what we're missing by not seeing any of them "B games" and inter-squad games they've played. I doubt those games have moved the needle much, but it would be interesting to know if, say, Jazz or Isan has 2 homers in unofficial games. It would certainly change the perception of their springs thus far.

It does seem based on the reporters covering the team that they are now leaning towards Jazz after Isan was considered the frontrunner so I would say that any back field action has done little to move the needle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

Since this thread is turning into being more about battles than Spring Training, I thought I'd share this little nugget.

Only real competent writer for the Marlins in the last half decade AT LEAST.

Sure as hell wasn't Joe being a thorn in Samson's side.  

14 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I feel like Isan Diaz would find a way to ground out to the second baseman even in a batting cage. 

4 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I feel like Isan Diaz would find a way to ground out to the second baseman even in a batting cage. 

It's funny: I was catching up on some podcasts and I listened to the Miami Herald's Fish Bytes podcast from 16 days ago and they were talking about how Isan looked like he was winning the 2B job.

Feelings on these guys change so much and so quickly. I can't help but suspect the next couple of games will be the deciders, and for everyone but Das (who made up his mind, I'm guessing, the first time he mispronounced Isan's name in public), a few extra base hits could be enough to really change everything in our minds about this competition.

3 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

With a new tv deal announced, will these spring training battles no longer be decided by a "Shoestring" budget?

2 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

Make that will get to the Root cause of the issue.

Sure, but if the Marlins become YouTubers, that could help them get a head. If I'm wrong, then Yukon quote this post and shred me for it.

Some comments about Jazz from mlb.com. The full article is below.

Jazz Chisholm, SS/2B, Marlins
ST stats: 32 AB, .250 BA, .531 SLG, .825 OPS, 3 HR, 1 SB

MLB Pipeline's No. 66 overall prospect doesn't have the elite traditional stat line of some of these top spring performers … but look deeper. Chisholm could be a real power/speed threat. Start with the 71.4% hard-hit rate on his 14 tracked batted balls -- that's third-highest on the Spring Training leaderboard. And how about the 112.7 mph home run he hit on March 17 (his hardest-hit ball of the spring so far)? Reaching that top tier of exit velocity, and especially being able to drive that ball over the fence, is a real skill. Then there's the speed. Chisholm has reached a max sprint speed of 29.8 feet per second -- borderline elite -- and he has three tracked runs at 29 ft/sec or faster.

https://www.mlb.com/news/spring-training-stat-lines-that-matter-for-2021

• Like 2