Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

anotherrealfan

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by anotherrealfan

  1. By now we know, according to the report in the herald, that the mets had to call up players from Buffalo, which now make up 8 players on their roster, so why play when you cannot field a major league team. So, they decided to call it, as long as the forecasters provided them justification.
  2. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeee u teee ful
  3. I didn't watch the game, but based on the updates from my phone, I'm not sure why some are mad at Dunn. He came in and dominated in the 9th. Allowed some walks in the 10th (he'll do that), but almost got out of it, and would've gotten out of it had it not been for shaky defense (now that I'm watching the last inning). The problem was Mujica and Webb, once again, not pitching well when coming in with runners on base. Webb's ERA really doesn't tell the story on how his season has gone, to be fair. The real problem was Cousins throwing to the wrong base. Should have thrown to 2nd to keep that runner out of scoring position instead of going to home. Next hit tied the score. There is plenty to choose from but I am most upset by the extra two outs we gave them. First the error on the throw to first and then Hanley not cleanly throwing to the plate to blow the DP with a slow runner to first.
  4. For those who didn't hear it, Kruk said on BT last night about Hanley being caught off of third base something like "he definitely should not slide back in this case on a high throw, he could actually be safe if he did". They expressed their frustration with his lapses.
  5. Albert Pujols has been sucking just as terribly after 11 games. No consolation, it does not help us win games if Pujols is having a bad start. We want Hanley to start producing regardless of what Pujols does.
  6. Just downloaded the atbat 11 for android yesterday. There is a free LIte App, but the full version I got is 14.99. Anyway, nice video replays and other things. I think I will enjoy it. Seems better than just the MLB.com, which for some reason did not refresh automatically, even though I set it to do it.
  7. I remember right around the time of the Beatles, people were debating if they liked the Dave Clark 5 better.
  8. ehe, someone trying to teach me about the history of rock music, specifically with how it relates to the Beatles' place in music. Super ehe. You want a course on rock and roll history? Come to my house and check out my record collection. I'm not really disparaging what the Beach Boys did in the mid-60's. They were as good as anyone. This performance is not the Beach Boys. It's a lame attempt to hang onto a brand by a guy who would struggled to play Gulfstream park for free if not for that brand name attached. I don't know how they will sound relative to the original but many groups still using the original name have maybe only one or two original members. Heck, was it last year we saw the misfortune of Lou Gramm, originally of foreigner. He was a disaster. But Foreigner is again packing arenas with Kelly Hansen as lead and only Mick Jones is an original, and they sound better. Even more recent groups go through changes in their lineup. These old groups are great for nostalgia and if they can get close to sounding original, it is fun. I don't want to trot out a group with four 70 year old performers anyway. The point is that the concert is not the main attraction, the game is, but if the concert is one that entertains, even better. My daughters, both in their 20's, are looking forward to it. But they also wanted to stay for Pitbull and want to see T-Pain-arrrg.
  9. May 21 - The Beach Boys Rocking all the way from Southern California with vocal melodies reflecting surfing, cars and romance, The Beach Boys were signed to Capital Records more than five decades ago, gaining popularity across the U.S. in the 1960s. With major hits like "Good Vibrations," "I Get Around" and "Surfin' USA" just to name a few, The Beach Boys have been referred to as "America's Band" by the National Review magazine. The group has had 36 United States Top 40 hits which is the most by an American rock band and 56 Hot 100 hits, including four number-one singles. Rolling Stone magazine listed The Beach Boys at number 12 on their 2004 list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time" with Pet Sounds being the number 2 on the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988, the surviving members of The Beach Boys (Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Alan Jardine, and Bruce Johnston) are performing in venues and on tours across the globe.
  10. Tentatively scheduled for May 24th The candidates as it stands right now are Hialeah Mayor, Julio Robaina, county commissioner, Carlos Gimenez, former state legislator, Marcelo Llorente, transit chief, Roosevelt Bradley..and of course the infamous member of 2 Live Crew - Luther "Uncle Luke" Campbell. There are also rumblings of Alex Penelas and/or Raul Martinez entering the race. Has anyone else been following this? What are your thoughts? I'm attending a debate tonight with Robaina, Gimenez, and Luther Campbell - although admittedly the majority of my interest lies in hearing about Uncle Luke's proposed "stripper tax". :hat My thoughts are what did Norman Braman think would change. The voters would vote out the people if they did not want them and taking a shortcut will accomplish nothing much. Of course, there was the overiding anger by Braman over the stadium issue. To that I say, FU Norman, it is there and you never got the stadium you wanted in Philly. Oh, Norman my lease is up in June-do you have any good lease deals coming up?
  11. Dunn has turned out and dominated righties. Its nice having a lefty arm that can actually get a righty out. Yeah coghlan isnt anything special defensively but has made plenty of great catches this year and last. Bullpen will find there game once everyone settles in. Im ready for the bats to get going. The bullpen guys have had success elsewhere. Just look at the difference this year Choate/Dunn vs. Tankersley/Pinto/Ohmann. That ends any argument. Do you think McCann will step in to a Dunn pitch the way he stuck his shoulder in to that feather ball Tank threw him last year.
  12. Do you guys think they will pick up castilo for cheap and plug him in second base and move infante to 3rd base :mis2 NO
  13. Come on guys, when you have glass windows you don't throw stones. I think this is more about how all the stones are constantly thrown at our house, we just want to see one single stone thrown at someone else. It's been a couple years since we've had the worst attendance but the Florida teams (Rays too) are the only ones constantly receiving potshots about it. When you are at or very near the bottom of that list year in and year out, and when your local media continually get their digs in on it, MV is right. Don't throw stones. Did you read my post? Not throwing stones, just wondering why we're the only one being pelted with rocks. It is annoying, can't get angry anymore, just a constant annoyance, that it is true that only the Marlins have to endure pot shots for the empty seats. Until late in the season last year, all you could see in Cincy were red seats, cleveland, baltimore. etc. but only if a ball went in to the stands at a marlins game would ESPN sports center say "um, as usual no one there to catch that ball". Forget about weather, your reigning AL east champion, indoors draw 22,000 on the first saturday night game. Rays Nation.
  14. I wouldn't say the Rays are much better at drafting. It's a lot easier to hit on draft picks when you have top 5 picks for 8 of your first 10 years, including 4 1st-overall picks. They draft really well after the 1st round. Sounds like this should be the Ray bumper sticker-sort of like parents whose kids don't usually do well in school but have the good attendance bumper sticker as a source of pride. Besides, we all know that the off the field stuff should not relate to the on the field stuff. Remember all those years the Canes were the best and the Gators could never match up. Instead of acknowledging the significant difference in talent, Gator fans would always talk attendance and arrest records instead of on the field. Now that they are good, they think the arrests are OK because you cant control 100 kids. Perception changes-doesn't it. (and I am a Florida grad). Before 08, Rays could not comment on anything vs the Marlins-success or attendance, so now they compensate by going overboard. Mostly though, that is easy to tolerate-just can't tolerate listening to their TV guys. That is a whole topic of smugness on to itself.
  15. Put your heels together, close yours eyes and repeat after me, "It's just spring training,It's just spring training,It's just spring training" and before you know it you will realize it is just a dream (nightmare).
  16. Who cares about any of this? If Super Saturdays are marketed towards Hispanics once in a while, it probably helps attendance anyways. I understand why they do it. I just will not attend. So go to see the baseball game which is the point of going to a baseball game and leave when the concert starts. Problem solved. Bingo, or stay to hear some music for the music. One thing about rap, you can do the song if you know the words, singing talent is unnecessary. Not so with other genres-or sing quietly so no one has to hear.
  17. Finally, do not bring your gun, us natives are the only ones allowed to shoot at each other. But Whats the fun in that? Everyone once in a while you need new competition. Nice Find Hotcorner, I might have to check that place out. Is Skullys pretty good? Im also thinking of trying out La Camaronera and Bennys Seafoord. Both also were on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I enjoy some good food. If you want a real old flavor, a restaurant that has been around before the revitalization of S. Beach and is very popular is on 7th St and Collins ave. -the area is busy nowadays but nowhere as busy as the tourist spots on Ocean Drive. Puerto Sagua, been there since 1968. You can get a huge meal for about $10-15 or even less for sandwiches. It is popular, but not a destination.
  18. Ha, Well It sounds like I might just be taking another trip to Atlanta or maybe drive up to Washington for an away series. Yea, that's the answer, avoid S Florida. Everyone on this board has been shot at at least once going to a game, not to mention the old Orange Bowl area. Been going there since the 60's and been robbed, mugged and beaten at least twice each game. Much better to go to ATlanta or the DC area, these are pristine areas known for their remarkable safety records. Seems like the FBI keeps records and I recall ATlanta and DC being at the top of the nations murder rate list. GOD-GIVE ME A F..IN BREAK. WE went to Boston for a Marlins road trip the prior summer and my wife was robbed in a mall adjacent to the hotel we were at-the same hotel the team stayed at. When we went to the police station, the cop at the desk actually said "you guys are from Miami, I wished I lived there, why would you come here to take a vacation?" Now that I got that crap out of the way. You can stay in E Lauderdale, on the Ocean, but don't swim, there are sharks in the water, or maybe even a hurricane will destroy your hotel. OK, couldn't help that either. But serious about E Lauderdale. You could stay in N DAde. The sunny isles beach area is fine, safe and plenty to do. The old Newport has been renovated and is very nice, it is on A1a and 163rd St. And from there it is an easy drive to the stadium. It is not far, but would take about 20 minutes because of the lights. There are a number of other options there also. Just a short ride over the causeway to Aventura, N miami beach area. Plenty of shopping, restaurants, clubs at Las Olas (north about 10 minutes away in Ft Lauderdale), 20-25 minutesSouth to S. Beach, Lincoln Road etc.. Take a beautiful ride down to Key Biscayne in the day time-drive over the Rickenbacker causeway-just an awesome view. Finally, do not bring your gun, us natives are the only ones allowed to shoot at each other.
  19. The vuvuzela game was the worst sports vent I've ever been to. We were just talking about that game the other day. We all had it listed as the worst give away of all time. Vuvuzela has to be right up there-an embarrasment and annoying. The night of the silver streamers was also a mess. Best game for me-so hard not to pick a playoff game or a world series game, especially game 7 in 1997-lot of personal emotions about that game and the last game I had with my Dad. But all in all, first game ever in 1993-I was sharing 4 seats for the season (did not know the other people-the marlins arranged the plan) and we each got one ticket for the first game. So, went by myself and just stopped as I walked in taking in finally having a major league team in my hometown. Just euphoric. But darn, no one of the other 3 tickets showed up and the seats were empty. Could have taken my family-that was a pisser but I still loved it. Remember the broadcast also and Chris Berman on the opening pitch, a generous strike, said "and the marlins win the pennant".(or something close to that).
  20. Whoa is right - relax a bit brother. Nothing in that post even looked remotely sarcastic or snide. It seemed like a general thanks. BS-it was completely sarcastic and everyone who has been here any period of time knows it. Although it was sarcastic, it was somewhat lighthearted-but it is the constant same sarcasm that gets tiring. The "insider" jokes can only go so far, now they are just boring. Bob went to the spring game and made some observations about the game. That is it. I have had some back and forths with him in the past-but then it ends, over with.
  21. If I was back home I would be at this game. Too bad I am in Augusta, GA doing a research project. GO FISH! If I was in Augusta, I would be researching Amens corner (if they let me on)
  22. I know of people that are dropping their ticket packages because of the changes, saying the team is ignoring it's history. They are quite ticked off about it. The only problem I have is what I just read at marlins.com in an article on LoMo. Loria is saying he may unretire #5 so LoMo can wear it starting in 2012. I find that more than disrespectful. It's worthy of an email campaign to Samson. Really? And you have told them how childish they are being,right? For someone who has railed on peoples "excuses" for years, distance, rain, heat, front office etc.,-don't let them get away with it. People quitting on baseball because they do not like the name or the color scheme or maybe even the shape of the bill of the cap? Now, these are real baseball fans with real valid reasons for dropping their tickets. I guess they still wear the same polyester clothes they had from the 70's and 80's.
  23. We called and VIP tickets should have been in the mail by last Thursday, for those that haven't recieved theirs yet this year and were wondering. We are going to swing by the new pond on the way and check it out first. Comparison photos from last year at this time. Got a glimpse of it yesterday from 95 on the way to the Seaquarium. Lookin good. Thanks for the insider info. Keep it coming. This actually helped because we were wondering about the tickets and have not had a chance to call. Thus, look for it in the mail, likely today. Thanks Bob.
  24. My new desktop background-just great.
  25. You're acting like it's your money they're spending. Would you rather have Jayson Werth than not have him? It matters how your team goes broke. sh*tty contract or no cash to put out. In the end you pick the sh*tty contract because it gives you one more player who once was something. There are no lost opportunity costs in this. You aren't spending your own money. At the end of the day a financially crippled team with a lofty contract is better than a crippled team without one, all other things equal. Does Loria manage his money better? Yes. Does that make him desirable? Hell no. A winner is desirable, regardless of how they spend money because, again, it's not your money. If Loria were to somehow get more money, we'd be set. I still prefer the Marlins be owned by the Wilpon Family, though. it is our money, it's the money we put in that they send out. I mean, think about it. The owner to the team with the second largest payroll used to be our owner, but he didn't spend any money here. Is it because landing in Boston made him magically not cheap? No, it's because we didn't give him enough money to work with. It's not our money anymore once we give it to them. I don't think very rich owners (I give the Wilpons as an example because that's the only one I know by name) would come down here and not spend because of lack of fan support. I'm sure they'd at least spend at first to see if they can revive the market. I'm sure that the Mets would reduce payroll if Loria owns them. I don't think the money owners put into the team is necessarily equivalent to what they receive - especially if you're aren't relatively wealthy. Rab is right. "Money coming in will equal money going out." Loria did try to spend more money, and look what happened. First, we won a title. Then the fans disappeared. That's when we came to this "money coming in will..." way of spending money. Jealously(sp) of the way other teams spend money, or trying to keep up with the way other teams spend money, turns a franchise into Mets-ish. C'mon Bob, "first, we won..." and "then the fans disappeared" . A litlle revisionist history. No one argues that attendance did not spike to 40,000 per game, and that we were still near the bottom, but the facts are that people were coming back, up to the point that average attendance in 05 increased by 42% from the 03 championship year. They disappeared again after 05 when we cleaned house. It was a gradual rebirth of trust that was shattered again. That is the only issue with your comment. The rest is factual and I agree with the point of this thread-I think the Nats are ridiculous.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.