Maybin's Call-up to MLB game

September with expanded rosters unless the Marlins are in a pennant drive then he may be called after the All-Star break

but if they're in a pennant drive, doesn't that mean what we have there now is working?

Not everyone will be performing awesome. Having all 25 players playing over expectation is like winning the lotto.

September with expanded rosters unless the Marlins are in a pennant drive then he may be called after the All-Star break

but if they're in a pennant drive, doesn't that mean what we have there now is working?

Not everyone will be performing awesome. Having all 25 players playing over expectation is like winning the lotto.

That's what we had happen in '03...

Anyway, I say May or June.

Think of the way this organization has handled it's three phenoms in the past (Dontrelle, Miggy, Hanley).

Dontrelle was brought up in mid-late May. Miguel Was brought up in mid-June. Hanley started the season as the starting SS (despite not being considered ready) because there was a hole that needed to be filled. I see no difference with Maybin. If he's performing in double-A, they will not hesitate to bring him up. The only way they wouldn't is if Cody Ross has proven to be a middle of the lineup producer by then.

I'm not saying he will be, but for this team specifically to be in contention, it would seem to me everyone would have to be playing in over their heads. And I'm sure among Ross, Amezaga and De Aza, one of them will be decent enough to get the bulk of the at-bats in center this year.

The thing is this:

#1 This team operates differently now than it did in 03 w/ those callups. Money, and so I imagine service time as it relates to arbitration eligibility, matters now.

#2 If the team is still winning, even without top shelf production from CF, there's no need to rush Maybin. At this point we have 3 players (1 injured) who play CF for us, 4 possibly if this talk about testing Andino out there is at all serious. We have options and not a desperate need for big production from that spot.

No need to even worry about calling Maybin up at this point with how productive the team has been.

Don't need him. Offense is not the problem.

Can always use more offense, and he would be a significant upgrade to outfield defense. Once he proves to be ready, which god willingly is in 2 months (just after super 2 level), you plop him in CF and take the massive upgrade.

Have you watched Cameron Maybin play center field? He is fast and has a good arm, that's about all I can say for him. Amezaga is a better center fielder at this point in their careers. Laugh all you want, it's a fact.

If you insist.

LOL :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Don't need him. Offense is not the problem.

Can always use more offense, and he would be a significant upgrade to outfield defense. Once he proves to be ready, which god willingly is in 2 months (just after super 2 level), you plop him in CF and take the massive upgrade.

Have you watched Cameron Maybin play center field? He is fast and has a good arm, that's about all I can say for him. Amezaga is a better center fielder at this point in their careers. Laugh all you want, it's a fact.

If you insist.

LOL :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I guess you feel that good centerfielders are just fast people. It has nothing to do with the routes they take or their ability to judge where a ball is going to land when it comes off a bat. Cameron Maybin takes some very interesting routes to baseballs after they are hit with a bat. His speed can usually compensate for his goofy routes, but I wouldn't call him a great defensive upgrade at this point. He will probably get better, but to call him a great defensive upgrade is kind of ridiculous, sir. You do seem to know everything about baseball though so maybe I should just shut up.

Absolutely not. I hate Juan Pierre in CF, and he's really fast. Amezaga is doing an awesome job covering the position for the Marlins, and he does usually gets good jumps where he is not necessarily a liability out there, as my comments are not a knock to Amezaga. BUT he still doesn't have the premier range Maybin can show, despite the jumps, and nowhere near the arm strength. Plus, Maybin is a "center fielder." I've already been frustrated this year (and a continuation from last year) with Amezaga not being assertive enough in calling off Hammer, Hermida, and Uggla moving in on balls. Some stuff that should have been caught, is not because all of them are tentative defensive players when another guy gets around. Maybe this is an assumption on my part, but when Maybin shows up, this non-sense is going to STOP and we will have an assertive CF as thats how he has been groomed. So what Maybin takes a weird route. He's still going to cover as much or more ground as Amezaga from day 1 (and like you say, get better), have way better arm immediately, and I feel it will gel the outfielders together as we can definitively say - Maybin always gets the ball if he can catch it. None of this nancying around BS out there because no one knows who is in charge. Plus, and this is an indirect performance argument, Maybin won't sit vs LHP as Amezaga does to Ross whenever he comes up. Even if I am wrong about Maybin and he is "lower defensively" than Amezaga in CF because of "routes," the mere fact he can play vs LHP will create a net gain in defense as Maybin will blow away Cody and easily make up any difference. Is this unreasonable?

I actually agree with GarbageMan, right now. :o

Let Maybin develop. No need to rush him.

That wasn't the argument, I want Maybin to stay down and develop too (plus arbitration/payroll reasons). However, I do think he is a defensive upgrade, the likes this organization hasn't seen in years from the position with the likes of Preston, Pierre, Reggie, and Amezaga patrolling CF for years. That was it.