Marlins GM Dan Jennings: Stanton Will Not Be Traded

Not that its a real surprise considering the words from the FO in the past but Dan Jennings said that Giancarlo is not being traded and that we are building around him. My opinion, If they really want Stanton to be part of our future than offer him a contract.

Heres an link to SBnations article.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/3/5061564/giancarlo-stanton-marlins-mlb-trade-rumors

I still don't see him re-signing unless we vastly overpay him. I want Stanton here long term like everybody else, but I don't know if the Marlins can regain trust with him unless they start winning. This is a decently long rebuilding process we're involved in.

It's been almost a year since the trade, and his only comment about anything relating to the organization was made about 20 minutes after it was announced. Who's to say he NEEDS to be overpaid? He might be perfectly happy as THE GUY that we build around and might accept the 7/100, which really isn't an overpayment, IMO.

I still imagine he'd sign. It would be foolish to turn down the kind of guaranteed money we're talking about with the risk of injury out there. He takes a 5 or 6 year deal here and when that contract is up then he's all set for the "big" deal, whether that's here or LA or wherever.

Not like he would finish that contract in Miami anyway

He needs a "trade me" clause that he can elect. It would be a first -- probably known as a "Loria" clause, forevermore.

In any case, he'd be totally nuts not to sign any contract that is offered because somebody is going to pay him every single dime of the giant money.

The guy has "only" made 1.4 mil in his career so far and will get around 7 mil in 2014 probably. He would be an absolute moron to turn down a huge long term deal especially since he'd still be able to sign another large deal after it like HC said.

Swartz (His projections are very accurate) has Stanton at $4.8m next year FWIW.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/arbitration-eligibles-new-york-mets.html

This concept that circulates around the streets of Miami that:

A) Stanton played subpar last year because hes upset and doesn't want to be with the team and

B) Stanton would never sign with the Marlins long term

In my opinion those sentiments are bull. He's still under club control and has not had his big payday yet. If we offered him something like 7/100 he would be foregoing at least an additional 6-9 million a year depending what happens in arbitration. No one refuses that kind of money.

A) Stanton played subpar last year because hes upset and doesn't want to be with the team and

In my opinion those sentiments are bull. He's still under club control and has not had his big payday yet. If we offered him something like 7/100 he would be foregoing at least an additional 6-9 million a year depending what happens in arbitration. No one refuses that kind of money.

I think most of us are in agreement that if he gets a fair long-term deal that he's going to sign. He just can't be that stupid.

I think most of us are in agreement that if he gets a fair long-term deal that he's going to sign. He just can't be that stupid.

Dan Uggla rejected a fair long-term deal.

Dan Uggla is also a complete douche.

Dan Uggla rejected a fair long-term deal.

Thank heavens for the braves