Marte Extension? (The Continuation)

In terms of the final offer, sources say Miami was willing to go as high as $30 million over a three-year period with an option for a fourth year, but with Marte seeking a fourth year guaranteed, it seemed inevitable the end result would be an impasse. 

Sources say Miami actually went closer to $40 million on the final three-year offer. The final variation of the offer would not have included an extension, a league source said.

This signals the second-highest extension offer in terms of overall dollars by the new regime under Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter since their arrival in 2018. Miami reportedly offered former catcher J.T. Realmuto more than $70 million over a six-year deal, which would have kept him in Miami long-term. Realmuto signed a five-year $115.5 million contract with the Philadelphia Phillies this offseason.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article252875053.html#storylink=cpy

If they offered 3/40 with a 4th year team option, that’s really not a garbage offer to be fair.

He’ll probably get more on the free agent market, but it’ll also probably be an overpay at that point.

The problem is we can’t evaluate hitters so his replacement will probably suck.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Erick said:

If they offered 3/40 with a 4th year team option, that’s really not a garbage offer to be fair.

He’ll probably get more on the free agent market, but it’ll also probably be an overpay at that point.

I think he wants that 4th year guaranteed though 

1 hour ago, mk613 said:

In terms of the final offer, sources say Miami was willing to go as high as $30 million over a three-year period with an option for a fourth year, but with Marte seeking a fourth year guaranteed, it seemed inevitable the end result would be an impasse. 

Sources say Miami actually went closer to $40 million on the final three-year offer. The final variation of the offer would not have included an extension, a league source said.

This signals the second-highest extension offer in terms of overall dollars by the new regime under Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter since their arrival in 2018. Miami reportedly offered former catcher J.T. Realmuto more than $70 million over a six-year deal, which would have kept him in Miami long-term. Realmuto signed a five-year $115.5 million contract with the Philadelphia Phillies this offseason.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article252875053.html#storylink=cpy

So the issue was the years and not so much the money, I can live with that. Still, sooner or later they've gotta take some chances and give in a little to keep the people they wanna keep. 

48 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

So the issue was the years and not so much the money, I can live with that. Still, sooner or later they've gotta take some chances and give in a little to keep the people they wanna keep. 

Will never truly know the whole truth on what’s what but sorry if I’m a front office person I ain’t going 4yrs on a 33yr old.

Edited by mk613

On 7/19/2021 at 3:10 AM, FishFry said:

So if Watson asks for top draft slot money, let’s say in the 1-5 selection, that would go against the MLB policy?  

It's not based on the individual slot value, but the total slot pool of the first 10 rounds. So, if they can sign other guys below slot, they will be able to give Watson more. They can't go more than 5% over the slot pool without a penalty (they might lose the 1st rounder next year). They will certainly go as close to the 5% limit as possible. The main reason Watson will go down to the wire, is that they have to sign the other guys first. If they fail to sign a guy  in the top 10 rounds, they lose that slot value from their pool, so they can't just decide to not sign the 2nd round guy and give all of that money to Watson. If they sign Watson first and the other guys won't sign with the remaining, then they will definitely go over the limit. Given the fact that we are gonna get a top 10 (maybe a top 5 next year), then that 1st rounder next year and the 17th pick as compensation might be more valuable than Watson.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

As I said before, I am fine balking because of age. But, Mish on twitter makes it seem like they aren't willing to give a big contract to anyone (only Dickerson size deals) so it doesn't seem overly hopeful.

24 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

It's not based on the individual slot value, but the total slot pool of the first 10 rounds. So, if they can sign other guys below slot, they will be able to give Watson more. They can't go more than 5% over the slot pool without a penalty (they might lose the 1st rounder next year). They will certainly go as close to the 5% limit as possible. The main reason Watson will go down to the wire, is that they have to sign the other guys first. If they fail to sign a guy  in the top 10 rounds, they lose that slot value from their pool, so they can't just decide to not sign the 2nd round guy and give all of that money to Watson. If they sign Watson first and the other guys won't sign with the remaining, then they will definitely go over the limit. Given the fact that we are gonna get a top 10 (maybe a top 5 next year), then that 1st rounder next year and the 17th pick as compensation might be more valuable than Watson.

Thanks for your post.  

34 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I think that beyond the idiocy of not signing Marte they actually presented JT with an offer of 70 for 6 years and felt that was a solid opening offer lol. That's fucking atrocious.

The opening offer was 4/40 actually then later in the year they went 6/70.

Which would have actually been the second highest offer JT would have gotten in FA this last offseason had it been offered then.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Erick said:

Marte would also be signed if they actually offered that honestly. 

5 hours ago, hovertical said:

I think that beyond the idiocy of not signing Marte they actually presented JT with an offer of 70 for 6 years and felt that was a solid opening offer lol. That's fucking atrocious.

Honestly I think you are overvaluing these players.. soooo many are waaaaaaaaay overpaid 

6 hours ago, mk613 said:

Honestly I think you are overvaluing these players.. soooo many are waaaaaaaaay overpaid 

There was no chance he would sign for that. None. I'm pretty sure all of us were disappointed when we didn't make a better offer than the Phillies did after he signed with them because it didn't seem too crazy either. I also would have much rather have spent the money to get JT versus keeping Marte. Barely over 11 per to the best catcher in baseball? 

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

There was no chance he would sign for that. None. I'm pretty sure all of us were disappointed when we didn't make a better offer than the Phillies did after he signed with them because it didn't seem too crazy either. I also would have much rather have spent the money to get JT versus keeping Marte. Barely over 11 per to the best catcher in baseball? 

JT was probably worth 15-20 mil per season for 4-5 years. That’s certainly not an overpay I don’t think. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:52 PM, mk613 said:

I mean, could they also give him a 4th year and just front load it?  So that the last year if he sucks they could just dump him?

I don't like the idea of a 4th year, but that'd be the way to do it.

53 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

At this point, though, I say trade him, get what you're going to get, and offer the same contract in the offseason.

I want to keep him, but if the past week is any indicator, we're further from competing than any of us would have guessed.  Might as well dump him.

• Like 1