Carlos Lee Has Spoken To Marlins About 2013 Return

dom2613

By Mike Axisa [August 9 at 6:57pm CST]

The Marlins had a deal in place to send Carlos Lee to the Yankees before the trade deadline, but the first baseman invoked his no-trade clause for the second time this season. Despite that, Lee told Clark Spencer of The Miami Herald that he is happy in Miami and hopes to return to the team in 2013.

“I like this team,� said Lee. “I don’t know what their plans are, but I like it here.�

Spencer hears the Lee's representatives at Wasserman Media Group have already spoke to the club about coming back next season, though they would like to use Logan Morrison at first base.

The 36-year-old Lee has hit .301/.398/.369 with one homer and more walks (17) than strikeouts (13) in 123 plate appearances since being acquired from the Astros. He is making $18.5MM this summer, the final year of the six-year, $100MM contract he signed with Houston prior to 2007.

We better not put LoMo in the OF next year.

I actually like this.

Strangely enough, I do too. If we're gonna move Bonifacio to 2B for next season, and we want to starting Ruggiano in CF given the season he's had (and it seems like the Marlins may be leaning to starting him), then it oddly makes sense to bring Lee back at 1B. We're not going to find gold in free agency at the 1B and LF positions, and we could do a lot worse than signing Carlos Lee to a $5 million 1 year deal, so why the hell not?

We've been pushing LoMo's move to 1B since 2010 (where he should play). I think the Marlins front office gets a nice laugh trying to watch Morrison play left field every season.

We're going with a youth movement and we're cutting salary and some of you think we're actually going to sign a would be 37 year old to a contract? For 5M? And yea, he's been solid with his bat. It's pretty sad that as Marlins fans we've become acceptive of a 1B who gets a .780 OPS... Just goes to show what Cantu, Jacobs, Gaby, LoMo have done to our psyche as of late. LoMo will be playing 1st next year, more potential, cheaper, better defensively, better all around, just no. I rather have LoMo at first and Kearns/Peterson in LF (younger, cheaper, more potential, better defense across the board) than LoMo in LF and Lee at 1B. Just absolutely no way.

Well I think the biggest reason against him staying is that nobody want's Lomo playing defense in left, which I agree with. But I don't think that should dictate every move you make. I think adding Lee's offense would be more of a help to this team than subtracting Lomo's defense. He hits with RISP, he doesn't strike out a lot and he makes contact. Plus he's never hurt and as has been stated he likes playing here which means he is happy which is very important to a player's production on the field when you look at athletes now and days (see Hanley Ramirez). Yeah you can go out and sign a FA but even then there is a level of uncertainty (just look no further than the Marlins FA signings for that). I'm not saying they should build the franchise around him or anything crazy like that but he will do fine for the time being.

We're going with a youth movement and we're cutting salary and some of you think we're actually going to sign a would be 37 year old to a contract? For 5M? And yea, he's been solid with his bat. It's pretty sad that as Marlins fans we've become acceptive of a 1B who gets a .780 OPS... Just goes to show what Cantu, Jacobs, Gaby, LoMo have done to our psyche as of late. LoMo will be playing 1st next year, more potential, cheaper, better defensively, better all around, just no. I rather have LoMo at first and Kearns/Peterson in LF (younger, cheaper, more potential, better defense across the board) than LoMo in LF and Lee at 1B. Just absolutely no way.

If lomo has a Carlos lee like career I'd be ecstatic.