Loria leads fractured organization

pollythewog

### An example of the peculiar way Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is doing business: When Admin Beinfest, the president of baseball operations, suggested last month that the Marlins promote second baseman DerekDietrich in September, Loria said no. Loria is annoyed that Dietrich accused former first base coach Tino Martinez - Loria’s hand-picked choice -- of abusive behavior.

But when assistant GM Dan Jennings then recommended to Loria that Dietrich be promoted, Loria changed his mind and gave the OK -– a point that became moot when Dietrich suffered an oblique injury before his promotion.

Among those who have Loria’s ear: Jennings, vice president/player development Marty Scott and agent Scott Boras (primarily concerning how to handle star client Jose Fernandez).

Why is Loria no longer listening to Beinfest nearly as much? Because when Beinfest doesn’t like Loria’s personnel ideas, Beinfest tells him. And an associate said Loria doesn’t like his ideas being rejected and will do what he wants anyway.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/09/the-questions-with-dion-jordan-dolphins-chatter-loria-fallout-heat.html#storylink=cpy

Marlins special assistant Andre Dawson said owner Jeffrey Loria told him recently that he plans to acquire hitters, and Dawson said there are three priorities: third base, first base and catcher. But budget constraints again could prove limiting.

The report is also saying the marlins are expected to keep the payroll at $36m for 2014 (What about that fat TV contract ... is always harping about?).

I wonder how we're supposed to sign stanton, sign jose, sign abreu, and sign mccann with that $36m. Hmph

I doubt the payroll stays the same. I'm one of the first to question Loria's motives, but I really doubt he'll keep payroll at this level.

I'm glad that he's at least saying he wants to target catcher and 3B. I hope he brings us a long-term catching solution next year. If he does that, I'm content.

I doubt the payroll stays the same. I'm one of the first to question Loria's motives, but I really doubt he'll keep payroll at this level.

I'm glad that he's at least saying he wants to target catcher and 3B. I hope he brings us a long-term catching solution next year. If he does that, I'm content.

How high do you anticipate payroll going?

What's it at currently for 2014 assuming gets like $6-7m and Cishek $3-5m in arbitration.

Logan is hardly the problem (okay it's a problem but not high up on the list). I mean yes you could do better, but not without getting lucky or spending some money. You could sign him pretty cheap for a few years and probably get okay production there. He needs more doubles & homers, yes. Maybe just get someone to play 1b vs lefties.

But it's asinine to have that attitude IMO toward a LoMo or Stanton (i.e. "we expected more from these guys") when you're gonna trot out a lineup like this. Half the team are rookies - some of whom should not have been called up yet - and the other "vets" are a murderer's row of Mathis, Solano, Polano, Pierre, Coghlan, etc...

What's it at currently for 2014 assuming gets like $6-7m and Cishek $3-5m in arbitration.

I expect something around the $50M mark. Remember that they claimed their dump wasn't about the money, and it was low because they saw no need to spend at the time. I don't think they'd be able to justify not needing anything. If they don't do it voluntarily, I think either the MLBPA or the commissioner's office will do something.

Logan is hardly the problem (okay it's a problem but not high up on the list). I mean yes you could do better, but not without getting lucky or spending some money. You could sign him pretty cheap for a few years and probably get okay production there. He needs more doubles & homers, yes. Maybe just get someone to play 1b vs lefties.

But it's asinine to have that attitude IMO toward a LoMo or Stanton (i.e. "we expected more from these guys") when you're gonna trot out a lineup like this. Half the team are rookies - some of whom should not have been called up yet - and the other "vets" are a murderer's row of Mathis, Solano, Polano, Pierre, Coghlan, etc...

Which rookies actually should have been called up? Maybe Yelich, but maybe even he could've used more time in the minors. Putting aside September call-ups, in an ideal world, we wouldn't have seen Marisnick, Ozuna, Fernandez, Dietrich, or others. Maybe Dietrich isn't a big-deal because he's probably not a star or long-term starter, but still.

Marlins special assistant Andre Dawson said owner Jeffrey Loria told him recently that he plans to acquire hitters, and Dawson said there are three priorities: third base, first base and catcher. But budget constraints again could prove limiting.

The report is also saying the marlins are expected to keep the payroll at $36m for 2014 (What about that fat TV contract ... is always harping about?).

I wonder how we're supposed to sign stanton, sign jose, sign abreu, and sign mccann with that $36m. Hmph

The 2 guys manning 2nd and SS are among the worst hitters in baseball by a fairly comfortable margin...how are those positions not priorities?

I expect something around the $50M mark. Remember that they claimed their dump wasn't about the money, and it was low because they saw no need to spend at the time. I don't think they'd be able to justify not needing anything. If they don't do it voluntarily, I think either the MLBPA or the commissioner's office will do something.

I thought a lot of it was due to a market correction. The Marlins drew a lot less in 2012 than they expected to. Knowing them, they were probably dumb enough to expect playoff revenue too.

The 2 guys manning 2nd and SS are among the worst hitters in baseball by a fairly comfortable margin...how are those positions not priorities?

Because Solano won't be the opening day second baseman.

*sigh*

Agreed, 100%. LoMo is not providing what he's capable of, but neither is Stanton. They both have absolutely no protection and get next to nothing to hit. This was to be expected, and at least they're both getting on base and taking the walks. First base should be low on the totum pole, but Loria is all about vendettas. Surprised to hear 2B not an area of concern, that means they may actually value Dietrich even after the Tino mess...

I keep saying that Morrison is expendable, and truthfully, he is.

It sucks, but right now, he's really more of a DH than anything. He's got no glove [uZR is currently -6.9, would be worse if his arm weren't above average for a first baseman] and other than drawing walks, he's not doing anything offensively with a .717 OPS. It's no vendetta against Morrison, I'll say that right now.

I keep saying that Morrison is expendable, and truthfully, he is.

It sucks, but right now, he's really more of a DH than anything. He's got no glove [uZR is currently -6.9, would be worse if his arm weren't above average for a first baseman] and other than drawing walks, he's not doing anything offensively with a .717 OPS. It's no vendetta against Morrison, I'll say that right now.

Well, for the most part this season he's been fine. He's slumping of late, but I do agree that he needs to be better. I don't think he's someone we should be worried about, however. He missed quite a bit of time, is recovering from an injury, hasn't had any stability in the lineup, and simply has zero protection. Why would you throw him a pitch to hit with a man in scoring position when Adeiny Hechavarria is up next (This example happened last night)? I give LoMo the benefit of the doubt, his upside exceeds any other options, and he's still cheap next year. Let's focus on the positions that are necessity: catcher, shortstop, third base. Good to hear they're focusing on at least two of three...