4/1 Post Game Thread

First of the year!

We have more post game threads than runs scored right now.

Let's look at some positives at least?

- Jazz looked really good

- Aggy hit the ball hard many times

- Pitching through 7 was great and Detwiler made us all look bad

- Allowed one run to the AL Champs

• Like 4

We hung in there against the AL champs. 

People will say "same old offense" but it is too early for that. The Rays' pitching was dominant looking and probably would have shut down a lot of teams today.

Marte needs to get his head out of his ass and show up tomorrow though. His ABs were really bad. He took some horrid swings and looked overmatched.

• Like 4

I can't complain about the pitching. Sandy pitched about as good of a opening day game as any team would hope for.

Unfortunately the Marlins bats were quiet, as is customary on games vs. the Rays, apparently.

Overall, can't complain too much. Could have been much worse, like a 12-0 blowout.

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 305fan said:

Solid game. 161 left. Lots to be proud of.

I like Dickerson but there has to be a short leash on him this year. Let’s hope Cooper starts tomorrow and Saturday with the lefties scheduled for the Rays 

I think they said that Rich Hill would be scratched on Sunday. They said Archer would get the start instead. So a RHP for Saturday.

2 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I think they said that Rich Hill would be scratched on Sunday. They said Archer would get the start instead. So a RHP for Saturday.

Then put that bozo down in the 7th spot.  He’s not a leadogf hitter. 

9 Strikeouts against the machine that is the Rays pitching staff is not bad. Especially since 1 was from Sandy. Marte though looked horrible with 4. Some bad swings from him. standout players today were Sandy, Aguilar, Alfaro, and Detwiler. Need to see more from the offense, but we were never out of this one. I will take that against the reigning AL champs.

Yimi was a bad decision, but it was one any manager would have made so I'm not going to get on Donnie for it. I think we all knew what was coming after we saw the first two outs Yimi got that inning. Detwiler made me look like an idiot. If he can be good, our bullpen will be a legitimate strength. I just hope the team doesn't take too long to shift things around if guys aren't performing (none of this Ned Yost "the 8th inning belongs to Yimi Garcia bullshit)

6 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Yimi was a bad decision, but it was one any manager would have made so I'm not going to get on Donnie for it. I think we all knew what was coming after we saw the first two outs Yimi got that inning. Detwiler made me look like an idiot. If he can be good, our bullpen will be a legitimate strength. I just hope the team doesn't take too long to shift things around if guys aren't performing (none of this Ned Yost "the 8th inning belongs to Yimi Garcia bullshit)

Yimi was not a bad decision. He allowed 1 HR all season last year. He's arguably our best reliever. I'd take Yimi in that spot the next 10 times it comes up.

the wife and I were utterly shocked that the Aguilar shot didn't go out easily.  That had the look and sound of a blast.  I  honestly thought it looked better than the Meadows shot coming off the bat.  As much as I think this pitching staff is solid I didn't like the offense coming into the season and this loss reinforced that feeling.  I just don't see many guys who can get on base consistently in the lineup.  I think they're going to have a lot of 3 run or fewer games with the occasional weird 12 run game where they all click on some random day.  I liked what I saw from Jazz last year and he did make good contact yesterday so here's hoping he really shines this year and we finally get a toolsy guy who realizes his potential.

At least I won $5 off my friend who's a Rays fan by predicting the final score before the game?

1 hour ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Yimi was not a bad decision. He allowed 1 HR all season last year. He's arguably our best reliever. I'd take Yimi in that spot the next 10 times it comes up.

I wouldn't and I agree it was bad - Spring stats generally mean nothing, sure, but he got hit hard all spring and not exactly by the top tier guys. But, maybe he's working something out, who knows ...

First two outs were a pretty bad sign.

The only good news regarding Yimi is it doesn’t look his stuff has taken a hit causing a lack of production. FB Velo was still solid and the slider had some good movement to it. 

The issue I see with Yimi right now is command. He was spraying his fastball and even the sliders he got whiffs on werent where they needed to be. 

For a guy that doesn’t really have a changeup, he’s going to really need to rely on command to get lefties out consistently. If he gets that fastball up and away to meadows, he’s probably fine. When you don’t have a changeup you can throw 2-0, you better not miss your spot to the lefty, or you get what we saw yesterday. 

It’s not realistic for guys to have their A stuff every day. Yimi is no different. However, Yimi fits the profile of a guy who is going to give up power on his bad days. He’s not simply going to give up a bunch of hits/walks like some others, he’s going to give up power because his stuff flat and he works up in the zone. His days in LA reflect this

Edited by marlins_09

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

the wife and I were utterly shocked that the Aguilar shot didn't go out easily.  That had the look and sound of a blast.  I  honestly thought it looked better than the Meadows shot coming off the bat.  As much as I think this pitching staff is solid I didn't like the offense coming into the season and this loss reinforced that feeling.  I just don't see many guys who can get on base consistently in the lineup.  I think they're going to have a lot of 3 run or fewer games with the occasional weird 12 run game where they all click on some random day.  I liked what I saw from Jazz last year and he did make good contact yesterday so here's hoping he really shines this year and we finally get a toolsy guy who realizes his potential.

At least I won $5 off my friend who's a Rays fan by predicting the final score before the game?

They where dominated by an ace who would have shut down any team yesterday.  Sandy blanked the WS Rays, it was to be expected.  Great pitching without the DH is going to produce low scores in any lineup, that’s baseball 101. 

Run production should rank between 10-15th,  a bit better than average.  Last year we where 17th I think with the DH.  We will be fine.  

• Like 1