Hanley, Choate to LA for Eovaldi, McGough

The Hanley Ramirez trade is not about who they got in return. Its about the fact that the Dodgers are paying his salary .

Edited Lord Magnus Quote

"The Hanley Ramirez trade is not about who they got in return. Its about the fact that the Dodgers are paying his salary [for a player who hasn't performed for two years.]"

I fixed that a bit for you, the way you worded it made it sound like it was a firesale.

Yes, but there's no guarantee the front office will use the money toward pay roll.

I think Eovaldi is a rare type of prospect, at this point.

I literally have no idea what this means. Can you explain it?

He's a 22-year old power pitcher with #'s that haven't yet translated.

There aren't many prospects who can average 94.5 with their fastball velocity as a starter. Yet, he currently has a 5.65 K/9/7.7 Swstr%. I've read he can touch triple digits out of the bullpen occasionally. It's possible he'd be much more effective there (as is the case with most starters, but his stuff could potentially dominate out of the pen).

If you look at his #'s, you say meh. If you talk to random scouts, they probably love him.

I think it's impossible to project him.

There are certain prospects who put up good peripherals and you sort of know what to expect.

For a young pitching prospect with power stuff, it's weird that Eovaldi never really put up strong K/BB rates at any level.

i think its because he has pretty bad control...

Agreed except that eovaldi won't be a 2. At best a 3. Actually maybe he will be a 2 on the marlins but only because our rotation is that bad.

Alright, well let's examine this.

Short term, who would he be the "No. 2" over? Johnson? No. Buehrle? No.

Long term, who would he be the "No. 2" over? Fernandez? No. Turner? No.

Thanks for playing.

Fernandez is really good, so it's not too much of a stretch to project him as a possible 2, maybe 3 (hell, could possibly be a 1). Buehrle seems like he'll continually be a #2 or #3 for the rest of his current deal. So that leaves Eovaldi and Turner to be, what, the four and five guys? I'm sure teams would be jealous to have players with the potential of Turner and Eovaldi slotted as #4 and #5 guys by the 2014 season.

The Hanley Ramirez trade is not about who they got in return. Its about the fact that the Dodgers are paying his salary .

Edited Lord Magnus Quote

"The Hanley Ramirez trade is not about who they got in return. Its about the fact that the Dodgers are paying his salary [for a player who hasn't performed for two years.]"

I fixed that a bit for you, the way you worded it made it sound like it was a firesale.

Yes, but there's no guarantee the front office will use the money toward pay roll.

It was still a baseball move regardless. They can replace Hanleys production this year with a Free Agent, Look at Jorge Cantu from a few years ago.

We may not spend the money, but we can get the same production or better. Too bad Edwin Encarnacion is off the market, and the Mets will probably pick up Wrights cheap option (where last year it was an expensive one, funny how things eventually flip aroung)

Edited Lord Magnus Quote

It was still a baseball move regardless. They can replace Hanleys production this year with a Free Agent, Look at Jorge Cantu from a few years ago.

We may not spend the money, but we can get the same production or better. Too bad Edwin Encarnacion is off the market, and the Mets will probably pick up Wrights cheap option (where last year it was an expensive one, funny how things eventually flip aroung)

If I remember that.option is actually $16m. Not cheap at all. Can't check on phone would take forever.

Agreed except that eovaldi won't be a 2. At best a 3. Actually maybe he will be a 2 on the marlins but only because our rotation is that bad.

Alright, well let's examine this.

Short term, who would he be the "No. 2" over? Johnson? No. Buehrle? No.

Long term, who would he be the "No. 2" over? Fernandez? No. Turner? No.

Thanks for playing.You that sure about Turner? Okay.

I'm sure that he's better than Eovaldi, sure.

He's f***ing garbage! still batting .246 someone lock this f***ing thread!

790theticket said .225 in LA--don't know that is true. But if he is worse there than here, GREAT MOVE. Even for a bag of peanuts.

Just glad I don't have to watch him half try to do anything.

Not a huge sample size but .238 as a Dodger if you must know.

Was it just me, or live did it look like he didn't have decent range at SS or 3B? It seemed like balls he could have gently dove for he let get into the OF for a hit, and unless he can get to a ball on the run he almost didn't even try... Were my eyes deceiving me or did anyone else see it too?

Hanley's words on "The Franchise" were more than comical....

"I hit .340 one year, so I guess these people expected me to hit .350 the next year, then .360 and .370."

This guy just doesn't get it. To him, It's always everyone else's fault except Hanley.

What does he mean by "these people"?