Marlins Acquire Dee Gordon for Andrew Heaney

They get a guy coming off a 5.4 WAR season. But outside that Kendrick is a consistent good, never great 2B. Kendrick is also making $8 million+ a year through 2016. Gordon's under team control until 2019.

Kendrick's the better bet to be good, but Gordon all things considered is probably the better value for the Marlins since we obviously can't afford an $8 million a year 2B.

From ken rodent hal twitter

@Ken_Rosenthal: Heaney quote RT @IconBaseball @Heandog8 “Excited to be a part of a team with an MVP CF, HOF 1B, & a great org that wants to WIN!“”

But this from heaneys twitter

@Heandog8: Crazy day! Wanna thank the @Marlins for drafting me and giving me an opportunity in the big leagues. Gonna miss fans, teammates, & coaches.

The thing that sickens me in all this, more than anything, is that Dee Gordon is slotted into the leadoff spot no questions asked. That is pretty disgusting in and of itself.

64 stolen bases does that. While I'd obviously rather have somebody who gets on base at something like a .350+ clip you're wasting Dee Gordon's biggest asset, his ability to steal bases and mess with opposing pitchers, anywhere in the lineup but the leadoff spot.

Even if he does re-invest the 12.5 million, it's amazing that we need to give up prospects for money because we can't afford free agents otherwise.

Exactly. On the face of it selling prospects for 12.5 million and then using that 12.5 in free agency is a smart move.

The problem is we are already nearly last in payroll by a wide margin. We should just be able to spend 12.5 million and keep our prospects.

If we had even an average payroll and sold prospects to fit in another free agent or two I would consider it shrewd.

At our current payroll its a false dilema. We shouldn't have to choose. We should have both.

Also....whats the big deal?

If the Marlins indeed traded Hatcher and Barnes for $12.5M that we can use to improve the team THIS year...I'm all for it.

Its like saying you sold your house at half price to pay for heart surgery you needed. Sure that's a great idea.

Its not a great idea if you already have millions of dollars sitting in the bank.

Also its yet to be seen if that 12.5 million is used to improve the team this year. And again Loria is creating a false choice there. We shouldn't have to choose between the free agent and the prospects. We should have both like every real MLB franchise.

Teams kick in prospects to get teams to cover 20+ million on contracts, not first year arbitration. Its a joke.

Passan is being a dick for nothing... Just cuz the Marlins are ready to spend more doesn't mean they have unlimited funds. The team gave up prospects for an upgrade at 2B and also found a way to save money in the process. That's not being cheap, that's being smart. If Billy Beane does that nobody calls him cheap.

If the team doesn't spend the money that's another story but to suddenly throw the asshole comments just because we wisely got the Dodgers to foot the bill here is unnecessary.

Billy Beane has not sold prospects for money in this fashion. As cheap as the A's are thought to be they spent 36 million more than us next year. And they are ridiculed as a cheap franchise.

If Loria spent as much as even the teams that are mocked for being super cheap (A's and Rays) we wouldn't have to sell prospects we could do both.

Its weird that we get lumped in with the A's and Rays as far as cheapness when we are in reality two tiers below even them in terms of payroll. And both of those teams are fighting for new stadiums while we already just got one.